Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Daily food budget at Disneyland in cal.

Keep up to date with the latest club news
bigam
A Ticket
A Ticket

Daily food budget at Disneyland in cal.

Postby bigam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:13 am

I have won an amazing Magical Journey to Disneyland with Virgin Australia in january 2010 - (we had to tell our kids it's in April because they're so excited they couldn't sleep thinking it was 3 months away).

The trip includes all accomodation, flights, passes, transfers and mickey mouse ears!

So my question is how much money should i budget each day for food considering we are a family of 4 with a ravenous 15 year old who can't wait to try deep fried coke and marsbars! As far as I know breakfasts aren't included but I could be wrong - I have no other details at the moment excpet what's in the terms and conditions!

Perhaps I need to put this in a different forum thread?

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Daily food budget at Disneyland in cal.

Postby ajp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:45 am

We are a family of 4, so I reckon I can offer something here. And a huuuuge congratulations by the way. I've entered a few times and still not got through so well done. Can't wait to hear about the actual flight.

How much you spend clearly depends on where you eat. If you plan to eat most of your main meals (ie brekky and dinner) outside of the parks, then you can better manage the costs. Eating in the park or at the hotels will add cost.

Outside of the park, you can do both breakfast and dinner for around US$100 easy for the 4 of you. For example, if you eat at Cocos (our favourite), main meals are around $12-$15 each (give or take), soft drinks I think from memory are bottomless. If you go to Denny's it's cheaper and of course Subway, Maccas are around, and there is plenty to eat at the Anaheim Garden Walk.

Eating in the park will be different. At the counter service (ie burgers etc), expect to pay around $40 to $50 for the 4 of you. Sit downs will be more obviously, around $70 or $80 for the 4 of you or more depending where. For example, a character meal (and don't scoff, the teeanagers will appreciate it, they just won't tell their friends :lol: ) will cost $100 a sitting because it is over US$20 something a person PLUS TAX. Having ravenous kids, you may not go far between ice creams, or churros or things like that, or even coffees for yourself and they add up. Churros are $3.50ish for example and ice creams aren't cheap. So add another $40 or so just for stuff like that each day.

I'm planning for a trip next year at the moment, and I am planning $200 per day for food on average. This is planning for the highest cost days, so hopefully most days will be cheaper, which gives more spending, but some days will get close to that. Last trip in 2005 we allowed $150 per day for food for the 4 of us and it worked out fine. We like to travel with the mindset that we don't scrimp or worry about money, so buget for the high end, which is why it may seem excessive. but with 4 of you, and teenage kids who like to eat non stop, it's best to plan for the higher side I feel.

Don't forget the tipping, and my estimates include tips. Tipping should add 10-20% eah meal in sitdowns, not counter service, so you need to allow for that. Also Tax. Your final bill will be plus tax, around 8%.

Hope this helps. Churros and sandie could also add some quality here as well.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

bigam
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby bigam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks for that - was wondering if $250 a day would be enough and sounds like that will be plenty.
I'd forgotten about tips!!!
And, dare I ask, what are churros?

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:59 am

$250 should be fine.

Churros are a long (about 8-10inches) sort of donoughty sort of thing that they smother is sugar. They are addictive, especially when you get a fresh warm one! I have a photo at home of my wife and young daughter in a line that is about 10m long at a churros stand because she just had to have one. You will see and eat some things you never even realised existed. Your arteries will probably hate you for this trip! :lol:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:17 am

Mmmmm Churros....

Now I'm even more jealous! :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

bigam
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby bigam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:26 pm

My arteries hardened just thinking about it! Now on the list of must eat foods that are really bad for you!

I've already begun the diet in preparation....

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:44 pm

I quite like churros myself.... :wink:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:58 pm

And don't forget to grab a Pineapple Dole Whip from the little stand outside of the Tiki room!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:44 pm

And a Mickey on a stick from any ice cream cart!

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:50 pm

I quite like churros myself.... :wink:
And don't forget to grab a Pineapple Dole Whip from the little stand outside of the Tiki room!
And a Mickey on a stick from any ice cream cart!

Sandie
Yep, all of the above. You don't want to miss any of them.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

bigam
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby bigam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:22 pm

My sons also want to try salt water taffy! What is that?

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:17 pm

if memory serves... delicious. :wink:

the taffy I had was like soft toffee. like the home made stuff you make that doesn't set hard. My favourite was blueberry or strawberry.

Yummy !

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Down Under Disneyana News”