Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Travelling to Disney with toddlers and or babies

Keep up to date with the latest club news
Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Travelling to Disney with toddlers and or babies

Postby Mel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:02 am

I don't know if this is the right section for it, so mods feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate. :)

As you may have guessed from my numerous posts about TDL I am hoping to return there in 2010. Craig and I went two years ago, but it was just the two of us, as all our Disney trips have been. Now we have Ben and we will have another bub in January. So....we're looking at going around Ben's 3rd birthday. That will mean that the new bub will be around Ben's age now - 15 months or so. Am I crazy for wanting to take them at this age? We totally understand that they won't remember anything (except false memories when they watch the DVDs when they're older) and it will be a completely different, slower experience than what we are use to. We also know that we won't be able to ride the E-tickets together as clearly the kiddos won't be big enough.

The reasons we want to go in March/April/May 2010 and not later:
- I hope to have a third child and would like to be pg again by mid-2010 which makes Disney more difficult
- The kiddos will be free of charge at Disney, on trains in Japan and for accommodation
- Ben is absolutely besotted with Mickey Mouse (that's my boy!) and would go ballistic if he got to meet him
- I really, really, really don't think I can wait until late 2014 for a Disney trip!

So, tell me - am I crazy for wanting to do this trip? If you've travelled with toddlers or babies do you have any advice or tips?

Thanks!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Travelling to Disney with toddlers and or babies

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 am

I'm sure Sandie will be able to give you some more specific hints about this, but being a mum that has done a good bit of traveling with kids in tow, I think you're looking at the whole thing realistically ( probably moreso than I did actually) and knowing that it will be a different experience puts you ahead of the game to start with.
Essentially accepting that traveling with little kids will be all about them and less about the grown ups will make the whole experience easier to cope with. Its hard work, but looking back, those experiences were priceless. Especially the photos.... :wink: That was always my reward for the extra work involved... the memories.

I wouldn't trade those trips while my kids were tiny for anything. They are little for such a short time and honestly... blink and they are 17, driving and building a social life of their own.

I don't think you are remotely crazy.... the only trouble is, the older they get, the more they want to travel. My teenagers have already got the brochures out and are busily planning the next trip for me.... and I'm using the staple mother response... ' thats nice dear,we'll see....'

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 am

Lisa, I've tried the "we'll see" with my 7 year old niece, but she replied with "That means no!" :lol: She's a smart one!

I'm glad at least one other person thinks that I'm not completely nuts :)

My main concern is carting our luggage about. We struggled a bit last time when we went from Tokyo to Kyoto and we'd already bought all our Disney stuff :lol: Having the kids will only add to our problems I think. We also might be flying into Osaka (Jetstar) which will make it even trickier. Time for some research on shipping luggage methinks!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:18 am

We went to DL when our first was only about 20 months old, and we had a ball. Lisa's right about managing the trip around them, and the experience, whilst different won't be worse, it will be better. This is when you will find out what it means to look through the eyes of a child. 3 will be a great age to watch a Disney park from. The characters become a major focus as do the shows.

Not sure if TDL do the same as DL, but there is an option for one parent to ride and then when they're finished the other parent jumps on and they swap kids. Not the same as riding together but you still ride.

Allow plenty of down time and slow time so the kids don't get too exhausted. When they become tired and cranky, so do you, so make sure that a toddler friendly pace is the go.

I'm sure Sandie will have a hell of a lot more to add, afterall I'm a father and do take near as much notice of the child things as mothers do. :wink:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 am

Lisa, I've tried the "we'll see" with my 7 year old niece, but she replied with "That means no!" :lol: She's a smart one!
my kids know that it just means ' I'm listening but I'm the grown up here and will doing the deciding' ... the only way to make that work is ... sometimes it has to mean 'yes'.
This is when you will find out what it means to look through the eyes of a child.
Oh my gosh...'WARM AND FUZZY ALERT'.
nicely put Anthony.

Lisa. :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Not sure if TDL do the same as DL, but there is an option for one parent to ride and then when they're finished the other parent jumps on and they swap kids. Not the same as riding together but you still ride.
Yep - Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea both feature Baby Swap on the major rides, so you won't have any problem there.

Any idea where you want to stay when you go? The reason I ask is that the Tokyo Bay Hilton currently has rooms for the period you wish to stay (Mar-May 2010) for around 18,000Y (about $180) - rooms at this hotel are usually around $520 - $600 per night (this is a 5 star hotel in the Disney Resort area, for a price comparison, try putting in a date in September 2008 and see how much it is!). But you must book nearly two years in advance through their UK website for this deal:
http://www.hilton.co.uk/tokyobay

Later this year, we plan booking our Tokyo 2010 trip through this website.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Johnathon was 11 months old on his first trip to WDW - Eloise was three. Do they remember it? Not at all for John, one or two fuzzy memories for Elli.

Do we remember it? Sure do!!!!!!!!!! The memory of John in a high chair at Chef Mickey's gnawing one end of a chicken leg bone wioth Mickey gnawing on the other end. John and Elly and Chip and Dale all crawling madly around the room for a full 15 minutes playing some weirdo chasing game.

Peter and John have a photo in front of the partners photo when John was 11 months, 5 and 8. And the girls day tradition started way back when Elly was 3 and still continues - and will be heading to Asia next year!

There are good points to travelling with a baby - especially one on baby food. Florida is hot! No need to heat up baby food when in the park - just pop a lid and serve. We got John ontop cows milk a few weeks early so we wouldn't have to lug formula and that worked well - anywhere would sell us milk in a cup which we poured in a bottle and got them to heat. The real life save cost us an extra $3000 though. We paid for Peter's cousin who was 16 to come with us. It was a life saver having an extra pair of hands especially on the long flights. Hiring a car is probably essential too - waiting for buses is ok with big kids but a hassle at 10 pm with a sleeping 3 year old, a baby and a pram to fold.

Food is also different over there - even jars of baby food and sometimes our stomachs revolt a bit - its no different for a baby. When he was younger John had a severe sensitivity to fruit which meant he broke out in ugly hives that lasted weeks so we had to be careful. Both of them were lathered in sunscreen but I have memories of scrubbing at the poor baby's legs in the bath one night trying to get them clean before I realised the little bugger had tanned up in the pram! He wasn't walking yet which was good - as long as he got crawls every now and again all was good. Eloise was toilet trained a year before we wemnt but had a few accidents when we were away - self flushing toilets are scary for little 3 year old bottoms!

The videos (soon to be dvds - right Anthony?) show happy happy kids having the time of their lives. Yes they learnt so much more on the two subsequent trips and loved Disney so much but the pure joy was the best on the first trip.

Ask any questions you like.

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:19 pm

self flushing toilets are scary for little 3 year old bottoms!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
let me tell you... the first time I encountered such a phenomenon I was lucky I was where I was... and that was only a couple of months ago. 3 or 39 years older bottom... its still scary. :shock:

That particular memory will make me giggle till I'm 100 I think.
Lisa. :D

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:08 am

(soon to be dvds - right Anthony?)
In the absence of a thumbs up emoticon, I'll use :wink:

I think this quote from Sandie says it all
Do we remember it? Sure do!!!!!!!!!!
This'll be the trip that you'll use as a base for the rest. The kids won't remember it, or much for the 3 year old, but you'll have photos and videos and the difference you'll experience will be worth every cent. I never went to a park as a kid nor have I been without kids. Even though I'm looking forward to going without them in the future, it won't be the same that's for sure.

Now the point you make about luggage and carrying everything is valid. You'll probably need a stroller for the baby, make it a light one. Have you started practice packing yet? :mrgreen:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks so much Sandie :)

Thanks also for the tip on the Hilton too Keith - somebody mentioned it to me at the meeting. Was it you? My memory is rotten. Are the dates locked in once you book or can you change them by a day or two?

Ben is a dream-baby so we're likely to get a hellion for #2! Nah, hopefully he/she will be just like it's brother. Ben went straight from breastmilk to COLD cows milk at 11 months, we're hoping for the same with this bub. Cold milk makes things so much easier even when we're at home. I'm sure it will be a real blessing when travelling.

I'm fairly confident about all aspects of travel EXCEPT the luggage. We might even take two strollers which would make it near impossible to get around. Has anybody used to the luggage delivery service in Japan? I'm thinking that might be the way to go :)

Ooooh, I'm getting excited now :)

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks also for the tip on the Hilton too Keith - somebody mentioned it to me at the meeting. Was it you? My memory is rotten. Are the dates locked in once you book or can you change them by a day or two?
No problems at all (it wasn't me at the meeting, probably Wayne or Nicole or Julie or Barry!) I have a feeling the Hilton is fairly flexible about moving a day or two. I've got their bell desk email address at home, so I'll send it to you and you can ask - they are very helpful.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks Keith! I just called my husband and told him we'll have to book next week (gotta lock him in) and he didn't miss a beat. I guess I really have talked him into this trip! Wooohoooo!!!!!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Down Under Disneyana News”