Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

They just don't get it!!!

Keep up to date with the latest club news
churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

They just don't get it!!!

Postby churros » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:01 pm

I thought the forum had been a bit quiet lately (it will certainly be quiet when Keith is in TDL - or will it? :wink: ) so decided to start a new discussion. What do you say to your family/friends/colleagues who just don't get it? You know the kind of thing I'm talking about, when you tell them you are planning a trip to a Disney Park or discuss the latest Disney movie etc and they look at you like you should be committed.

Tell us your experience and how you respond!

Some ask me don't you ever get Disneyed-out :roll: or what's the big attraction to Disney?

My response usually is along the lines of "Why do people follow football so passionately" or "I could be doing something a lot worse like selling drugs on the streets!" But when I asked at work how many people had been to a park it was the vast majority and some had been multiple times but were keeping it close to their chest 8)

I also think our world needs a little bit of fantasy or escapism and I'm yet to meet a Disney fan that doesn't have an upbeat look on life! :D

And just as an aside I rang WDW today to buy our APs (can't buy them online) the operator ended by saying "Well I suppose I should say G'day mate" and I didn't have the heart to tell her you don't end the conversation with a g'day!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: They just don't get it!!!

Postby KeithS » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 am

I thought the forum had been a bit quiet lately (it will certainly be quiet when Keith is in TDL - or will it? :wink: )
I've noticed over the years that this forum goes in waves. You get a spurt where you can hardly keep up with all the messages (we had one recently) - then it all goes quiet for a few weeks, then goes crazy again!

I'm going to try and provide an update each day on our adventures in Japan. Our hotel has internet access, so as long as I don't pass out at the end of each day, I'll be posting here.

Now, as for your topic - I've met a lot of people who don't "get it". You get that strange smile which says "Why are you going there or doing that? You are not a kid". And I've noticed that way too many people knock it without ever experiencing it.

I then find it hard to explain that it is nothing to do with age - it is about entertainment. But we've had talk on here before that it is hard to convince many adult Australians that Disney is not about children!

I try to explain to them that Disneyland wasn't built to provide entertainment for kids, but was really a place built for adults which their children could also enjoy! Every single ride there is suitable for an adult, I think the only thing off limits was the old Goofy's Bounce House.

I've also noticed a lot of people who say they've been to Disneyland and enjoyed it, but they have obviously treated it like a Movie World or something - just another amusement park. They've missed the whole immersion and atmosphere factor - usually because they only had one day there and didn't take the time to stop and smell the roses...

Then there are the closet Disney lovers, and to find them at work, I always wear a Disney-branded business shirt and a Mickey Mouse watch - these items will get the closet people talking to you! hehe.

I've never had to take a person who didn't "get it" to a park - perhaps someone on here could detail their experiences in that regards?
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:40 pm

People I interact with don't say things like that to me - I guess everyone is used to it and since I never go to work without wearing at least one thing Disney they probably just assume I am loopy.

My husband is not a big Disney fan - we go because I want to, he loves American cars so as long as we fit them in I can plan anything. HE does not bag Disney. He does however not get some of teh classics - IASW, and most of the Fantasy land Dark rides, Counctry Bears etc.

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:49 pm

He does however not get some of teh classics
I bet he gets Test Track! :)
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:42 pm

I never go to work without wearing at least one thing Disney
Yes I always wear a hint of Disney (sounds like a perfume) and the closet fans always comment!

Keith I'm very jealous of your clock, mine has certainly moved but it still seems so far away from home!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:33 am

We don't get too many comments either from people, it is just an accepted thing. I suppose while we're passionate about Disney, we also have other passions which makes it different when at work or social circles. I tend to talk about things that matter to other people more so than matter to me. Although my wifes family sometimes roll the eyes and give us the not again routine when we talk about planning a trip, or attending a meeting etc, but most the times that's in jest because they too are multiple visitors to a park who just haven't embraced it as much as we have. And there is a mate of mine who laughed when I said I really enjoyed Enchanted, blokes bloke sort of guy, but then happened to mentioned he watched the special on SBS the other night (which I ashamedly haven't had a chance to watch yet, it is recorded). So when it comes down to it, I think those "who don't get it" still have that little bit of it in them. Afterall, we all remember when we were kids and Disney was as much part of our lives as kids as anything else.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:37 am

Keith I'm very jealous of your clock, mine has certainly moved but it still seems so far away from home!
Yep - my little airplane is closing the distance now! I'm the last of our club not to have departed - all six of the others are already in Japan...but they are touring other cities first - they are all meeting up in Kyoto sometime this week - I think on Thursday.

In a very uncharacteristic move on my behalf, I actually got my suitcase out yesterday (I didn't pack anything, but I got it out - normally I wouldn't do that until the night before I fly!) I've also printed out my hotel details in Japanese in case we need them for a taxi driver. Della and I both bought new mobile phone handsets that work in Japan, so I guess now we are set. Now I just have to survive one week at work with any major incidents :)
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 am

Keith I read "got my suitcase out yesterday" and started to panic a little but then was relieved to see that you hadn't packed. I thought you'd have travelled to the dark side of being organised and worse, "practice packing". :lol:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: They just don't get it!!!

Postby mushu mama » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:50 pm

Everyone that knows me also knows I love the Disney pixie dust. No one even bats a eyelid when I get all excited about a new Disney something or that I'm going to Disneyland. In fact, I am easy to buy presents for, the go-to person for any Disney question ( boy have I been asked some weird questions - and I often don't know the answer) and it apparently is one of the quirks that make me ....me. However when I lived in Victoria I was frequently the subject of rolled eyes and 'are you kidding me' comments. Living up in Gods Country it seems to be more acceptable.
I've never had to take a person who didn't "get it" to a park - perhaps someone on here could detail their experiences in that regards?
Now this I can answer! :x

Going to Disney with someone that doesn't (and doesn't want to ) 'get it' is not something I would recommend. There is opposition to every thing that is part of the Disney experience.
You don't do stuff just for the heck of it. You have escape to buy stuff, because it is not 'necessary'. You have to eat quick and keep moving. One photo is surely enough. You are forced to experience it more in a theme park Ninja style of divide and conquer style of 'get it done and get out' mentality. You get the picture.

I know not everyone has this experience with a 'non-disney addict', but that was mine.

Lisa
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 pm

In a very uncharacteristic move on my behalf, I actually got my suitcase out yesterday :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

too late Anthony... the Dark side won.
The suitcase is out.. that constitutes pre-packing preparation.....
~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:58 pm

I've been to DL with somebody who didn't 'get it' and I didn't enjoy it at all :(

Most people I know are well aware of my love for all things Disney so nobody even bats an eyelid when I talk about the parks, movies or whatever. Their eyes might glaze over, but I rarely get comments anymore.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:13 pm

I've been to DL with somebody who didn't 'get it' and I didn't enjoy it at all :(
:shock: It is hard to believe that even the once in a lifetime visitor can't appreciate how beautiful DL is! Shame you couldn't just dump them somewhere! :twisted:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Down Under Disneyana News”