Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disney on Ice

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Disney on Ice

Postby KeithS » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:32 pm

[Moved from Music Forum]

Who has gone to see Disney on Ice in Sydney in the last couple of days? Della and I went yesterday and really enjoyed this one. Split into two acts as usual, the first act showed the stories of the princesses, Jasmine, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Mulan, Snow White, and Belle - all in short (about 10 minutes each) but highly entertaining sequences.

The second act was devoted solely to Cinderella, showing pretty much the full story.

We go to D on I every year and are always amazed by the detail of these productions. I'd be interested to hear others opinions of not only this year, but previous encounters. On of my favourite ever sequences was a couple of years ago when they did Tarzan and the Jungle Book, and Tarzan swung out over the crowd on a vine then back onto the ice a number of times. In all the times I've gone, I've never seen a skater fall over, despite being dressed in character.

An interesting thing about this year's program is that it has an advertisement in the back for next year, stating that next year's show will be Walt Disney's 100 Years of Magic! This doesn't make much sense as firstly, we've already had that show, and secondly, the 100th anniversary was a couple of years ago! I'm guessing these programs were printed some time ago (they had copyright 2002 in them) and that the Princesses show is the production we missed (you may remember we didn't get Disney on Ice one year - I think 2003.) Anyway, here's hoping we get one of the newer shows next year like Monsters Inc or Finding Nemo - both of which are in production.

Comments?

KeithS

James
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby James » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:07 pm

I actually didn't see Princess Classics this year, thought I've seen 4 other Disney On Ice productions, and The Lion King, just as it was closing. I saw Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2000), 100 Years of Walt Disney Magic (2002), Jungle Adventures (2003), and Beauty and the Beast (2004). I've taped all of the Saturday Disney specials on them ever since 100 Years of Disney Magic. I'm glad you and Della enjoyed it Keith! :D
-James
Saturday Disney Rocks!
I'm 13 and proud of it!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:45 pm

Hey - they are exactly the same five Disney on Ice shows I've seen, so it was 2001 that was the missing year - I knew one year we didn't get it :)

Did you ever get to see the Beauty and the Beast broadway stage show in Sydney a few years ago? It must have been 1998 I guess - it was spectacular. It is still playing overseas, I'd love to catch it again - Della didn't see it when it was in Sydney, so if we ever get to New York, it'll be on our must see list.

KeithS

James
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby James » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:00 am

Did you ever get to see the Beauty and the Beast broadway stage show in Sydney a few years ago?
Unfortunately I wasn't able to, as I didn't even know that it was showing. I was only in Year 1 (7 years old), and I was still enjoying Teletubbies immensely, so I didn't go.
-James
Saturday Disney Rocks!
I'm 13 and proud of it!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:39 am

Keith, I just posted a news story about the "Disney On Ice" that's in China at the moment and it talks about Tarzan and Jane doing acrobatics through the trees without any safety nets. Did this happen during the show here? Sounds like it would be pretty spectacular.

Greg

Lion711
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Lion711 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:51 am

whos going to the current Disney on ice? I just got my tickets for Brisbane. Should be good.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:42 pm

whos going to the current Disney on ice? I just got my tickets for Brisbane. Should be good.
I'm not sure if I would actually go to Disney On Ice. I don't care who knows that I'm a Disney fan but I wonder if saying I'm going to this show (with no one to take as a cover) may be pushing it. :oops:

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:40 am

We've got our tickets for Sydney, we go every year! The club usually arranges for a group booking, but Della and I normally go independently of the club event due to scheduling conflicts.

This year's show looks pretty special too - seems like it will be a great production.

Greg, I'm sure there is someone out there you can take! Ask around the office, you never know if the nice girl in the accounts department is also looking to go :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Greg, I'm sure there is someone out there you can take! Ask around the office, you never know if the nice girl in the accounts department is also looking to go :)
Ahhh, but Beauty and the Beast is my favourite movie because I identify (and resemble) so much with the Beast, before his transformation. :(

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:01 am

Ahhh, but Beauty and the Beast is my favourite movie because I identify (and resemble) so much with the Beast, before his transformation. :( Greg
OOH Purrleeeesse.... :roll: Is that violins I'm hearing?

Going with the Beauty & the Beast analogy... Isn't Belle supposed to see straight through the hairy outside ?

- Lisa :lol:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:02 pm

Yeah Greg, I'm no Calvin Klien male model, but I still had Cinderella laughing out loud (see avatar) - oh yeah, and Della likes me too! hehe (although not when I'm flirting with Disney Princesses...:))
Isn't Belle supposed to see straight through the hairy outside ?
A decent razor can fix that problem...
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:20 am

OOH Purrleeeesse.... :roll: Is that violins I'm hearing?
If I don't feel sorry for myself no one else is. :D

I can remember going to a Disney production as a kid, I think it was in a tent and had a circus theme. It was a big deal at the time because we lived so far from civilisation (I didn't see a movie in a real theatre until I was a teenager) but all I can really remember now was a mass of colour and movement.

How much of a story is there to these ice shows or are they just skaters in costumes doing tricks?

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:09 am

How much of a story is there to these ice shows or are they just skaters in costumes doing tricks?
Each year they tend to follow one or more stories from the animated movies. and they follow them faithfully (although obviously shortened versions). The fab five generally introduce the show (with fireworks etc) then the main stories begin.

These are amazing productions and I wouldn't miss them. The skating is almost secondary to the telling of the stories - it just makes the production even more incredible. I never forget Tarzan come swinging on a vine over the audience and then back out on to the ice - amazing stuff.

I have never seen anyone fall over either!
Keith

Trip history:

Lion711
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Lion711 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:46 pm

i havent been to one yet so im really looking forward to going to this one. Should be great.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 31, 2006 8:10 pm

YAY................

I didn't think I wanted to go to a Disney on Ice but now that I have VIP tickets 3 rows from the front I am so excited I could POP!

A Melbourne friend rang and asked if I wanted to go too and- VOILA -I'm off to the show on the 23rd of June.

Did I mention that I will be within 'shaking hands' distance of Mickey Mouse? -

O...M...G !

Never thought I'd say this but....'BRING ON THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS!'

~Lisa

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Shows”