Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disney on Ice

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Disney on Ice

Postby Mel » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:18 pm

My soon-to-be 11 year old nephew informed me that he is NOT too old for Disney on Ice, so we have to try and figure out the logistics to see if we can take him, his sister and the two boys. Don't know if we'll manage it... maybe we'll have to go twice again this year :D
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:57 pm

We'll be going this year too - we are just waiting to get that same letter Lisa got last week about it.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Has Wayne arranged a date for the club to go yet?

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 am

I got two priority customer numbers if anybody needs and extra one for Monday :)

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:37 pm

We went today and it was okay. I really liked the Pirates and Haunted Mansion segments, but I found it to run a bit clunky and disjointed. There seemed to be a lot of talking/story-telling this year and my kids and all the kids around us seemed to get really bored during it all.

Jared LOVED the high amount of Fab Five time there was. He pointed and yelled "Minnie!" every time he saw her and kept saying "Oh wow!" all the way through. He's definitely my child that one!!! He did fall asleep in the last ten minutes, but he was an hour past nap time so I wasn't surprised. Ben liked it, but wasn't overly fussed on it - a bit like his reaction to Disneyland really! Jared on the other hand, clearly though we were back there -/ He got excited as soon as we were through the turnstiles and we could see the merchandise, mouse ears etc etc. I'm kinda hoping he won't remember the Japan trip.... he's only 18 months now and with four-five years to go until our next trip, I don't think I could stand the "When are we going back to Disneyland?" chant for that long!

Bluesilk
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Bluesilk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Forum and hope someone can help. :)

I took our 4 children to DOI yesterday and thought I was doing the right thing by not taking my camera into Acer Arena. (Sydney)

Almost cried when they said we could take photos for personal use! :p

Does anyone have any photos of yesterday's performance that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Spent a small fortune between the tickets & merchandise and feel we have nothing to look back on in years to come.

Absolutely kicking myself for not taking the camera.

Sherrie.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 am

Almost cried when they said we could take photos for personal use! :p
Hi Sherrie and welcome aboard!

We were DoI yesterday too and were surprised that cameras were allowed. It is the first time I've ever heard them say we could take pictures and video and allowed that they allowed the use of flash!

But like you, we didn't take any photos at all - sorry about that (mental note for next year's performance!)

As far as the show went, I personally thought it was one of the best Disney on Ice performances in a number of years. It was completely original, not the usual variation of an animated movie that we've seen so many times in the past. It was great how they took the characters for adventures through all the famous Disneyland attractions. This show also had the least amount of Princesses ever seen in a Disney on Ice production! They just had two short cameos by Snow White and Cinderella. We also enjoyed the fact that they did the meet and greet at the end of the show - we hadn't seen that for a number of years so it was a nice return. The show also seemed longer this year - we've had a few short programs in recent times.

And the other thing we liked - if you bought the program, you got the big plastic bag for free! Yay - I was so disappointed a few years ago when they began charging for the bags, so getting them free this year was another pleasant surprise.

The only slightly disappointing this this year (at least from Della's perspective - not mine) was the general merchandise. The only fluffies being a traditional Mickey, Minne, and a Stitch - no unusual characters for sale this year.

All in all though, I thought this year was a big improvement on previous years!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:53 am

Hi Sherrie, welcome :D

I'm really disappointed that I couldn't get to the production this year ( again, my car let me down.... grrrr) although, I'd have been at the Brisbane event. I have several friends up here that went, if you like, I'll ask if they have any photos they could send you ( I think one of them took a camera from memory)... I'll ask her anyway.

Lisa. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Bluesilk
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Bluesilk » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi Keith & Lisa,

Thank you for your replies. :)

Keith, I almost ran back to the car to grab the camera, but obviously didn't want to leave my kids alone, who are 12, 9, 7 & 5.

Like you, I thought it was a great show, which included all the characters. :)

My two little ones, loved meeting the characters at the end of the show too.

I remember seeing it at Harold Park? (around Glebe/Prymont?)in a tent, when I was about 8yrs old. lol

It must have been in Winter, as it was freezing, raining and the park was just a muddy field.

I got a bit teary yesterday when I heard the Mickey Mouse song, as I hadn't heard it in 20 odd years. ;)

I think they should have posted on Ticketek that you could take photos for personal use. :p

Keith are there any other forums that you can suggest, where I might stumble across someone who has taken photos?

Sherrie. :)

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Sherrie - welcome -/

We have 2 threads going for DOI
http://www.dudisneyana.info/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=1835

I have posted a couple of photos but they didn't turn out well. Flashing lights and fast moving characters make photos a challenge. I actually think the program gave the best photos - one from each scene of the show!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 pm

We're off on Sunday to see it at Wollongong.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Hey guys, they allowed photos and videos last year too, I remember commenting on it to Craig.

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that I should leave the kids at home when I do my Disney-ing. They seem to take some of the enjoyment out of it! Well, Jared doesn't but Ben is the most unemotional kid I've ever met! I reckon he could be having the time of his life and not crack a smile. But.... since Thursday he's been telling everybody how great DOI was! He looked and sounded like he never wanted to go again straight after the performance and now he's telling everybody about the scenes in detail!!! He even remembers things like Buzz and Donald 'on' Space Mountain which was probably one of the more bland segments. I tell ya, I shouldn't ask him about what he thinks about Disney until days after he's experienced it - he was the same in Japan. Very blase about it all, but now will recount the trip day by day and tell everybody all about his 'favourite' rides that we had to drag him kicking and screaming on!

Next year we might have to do DOI twice. Once alone and once with the kids! :lol:

BTW, Keith, I was glad to see the meet and greet was back again too. I remember taking my nephew to 100 Years about 8 or 9 years ago when he was only 2 and he STILL talks about shaking hands will Snow White :D

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:50 am

Saw it yesterday and we also enjoyed the show. I loved the fact that it was an original production and the use of the Disneyland attractions was fun to see. Some of the jokes about keeping hands and feet inside the vehicle and the rides breaking down when something goes wrong was humorous.

However whilst it was an original production, it wasn't necessarily an original plot. The story of Malificent kidnapping "people" and hiding them away and the heroes of the story being attacked by Small World dolls and Pirates in the Caribbean animatronics has been taken directly from Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers book set in the Magic Kingdom. Get yourself a copy and read it if you haven't done so already, it's a great read. This isn't a criticism either, as I liked the book and liked the way Disney have adapted it.

But overall, a great show, and glad to see, as others have commented, that they did not rehash a movie or princesses or fairies! We have got photos, so when I get a chance, I will share some of the better ones.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 am

Just go the email for priority pre sale. Pre sale starts on Wednesday :)

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

Just go the email for priority pre sale. Pre sale starts on Wednesday :)
Awesome - does it have the Sydney dates for this year's shows?
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Shows”