Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disney on Ice

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Disney on Ice

Postby ajp » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:06 pm

"Disney on Ice, Disneyland Adventure"
Ooooh, now that will pique my interest I think. Won't be "abstaining" from that one.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:09 am

Wow... that sounds like a good one. I've missed the last two :evil: but with the Disneyland theme, I am going to make a concerted effort to make it this time.

Interesting that the Princesses one didn't get as good a wrap as previous years. A scrapping friend of mine took her two daughters this year and loved the Brisbane show. She said that Tink had a lot of rink time and was very good. She didnt' mention any spills though.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:43 am

The best part of the day was when I walked past the churro stand before we went in. The smell sent me straight to Disneyland :D I had to have one after that and as I sat munching on it in our seats,
Looks like I'll have to head in just to get a churro!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 pm

I'll let you know what I think after I see it tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it - but I do remember being disappointed by last year's show. It seemed much shorter than previous years.

Still, what can be bad about Princesses? :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:53 pm

I'll let you know what I think after I see it tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it - but I do remember being disappointed by last year's show. It seemed much shorter than previous years.

Still, what can be bad about Princesses? :D
It did seem shorter than in previous years. I also thought that you can't go wrong with Princesses, but something just didn't seem the same to me. It might be that Ben was getting antsy and wanted to go home at intermission :roll: so the second half was a bit harder to enjoy. I just didn't enjoy it as much... I won't ever admit it to my husband though :lol:
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:16 am

Good morning folks - it is time for Keith's all encompassing, no holds barred, review of this years Disney on Ice - Princess Wishes!

The Show (thar be spoilers ahead me hearties...)
The show this year was split into 7 segments plus the finale - each segment featured a different princess beginning with Jasmine, then Snow White, Belle, Ariel, Mulan, Aurora, and Cinderella. In between each princess, we had Tinkerbell come out and spray a little pixie dust.

The Jasmine section was about her meeting Aladdin and the Genie turning Aladdin into a prince - it was well done, especially the market chase scene (with a camel being a standout - he made me laugh).

The Belle section was centred around "Be My Guest" with Lumiere and the cutlery (no beast - no drama there, we've seen him in productions before and this show wasn't about the villains).

Snow White covered Snow and her prince, as well as the seven dwarfs (no evil queen - again, no drama there).

The Ariel section was in two parts, before and after the intermission - this section, along with the Aurora section, were the standouts of the show in story, skating, staging and scale. It began with Prince Eric on the ship and the storm (Fathoms Below). Then Sebastian and Ariel's sisters (Daughters of Triton). Ariel and Flounder (Part of Your World). Sebastian segment (Under the Sea). In a departure from what I've seen before, the Under the Sea section even took a family out of the audience and onto a boat that skated around the rink with the various sea creatures around them. It would have been great for the family - except the one we had looked a little shell shocked - come on people, at least wave and look happy - you are in Disney on Ice! After the Intermission, Ursula with Flotsam and Jetsam come out and give Ariel her legs (Poor Unfortunate Souls) and she gets to dance with Prince Eric (Kiss the Girl) before he defeats the sea witch. This was a very good production. Special mention for the great skating between Eric and Ariel - at one point, he held her feet while spinning her around with her head coming very close to the ice. If he had let her go, I thought she'd end up in our row!

Next up was Mulan - this was a fairly short program, where Mulan is training other girls to become warriors. I was unfamiliar with the song that was used - so I'm assuming it came from the video sequel?

Then came the Aurora section which was also impressive. Maleficent in her human form came out looking very threatening! Prince Phillip was there to battle his way through the thorns and whatever else Maleficent could throw at him. But the standout here was Maleficent's dragon form (which scared the heck out of the little kiddies sitting near me!) Not only was it huge and scary looking - it even set fire to the whole ice rink (that was really impressive!). Of course, the dragon gets killed and Prince Phillip gets the girl, yada yada yada...

Finally Cinderella comes along. It is the ball and the prince is trying to pick up a girl. So he dances with the other eligibles and the step sisters - then Cinderella comes out in a pretty impressive carriage and they all live happily ever after.

The finale has all the princesses and their princes come out, along with Mickey Minnie and Goofy for the big finish with fireworks (loud ones!).

My Thoughts
So that is a summary of the sections - but what did I think? Well, I actually liked it (stop rolling your eyes Lisa...).

There may be a few contributing factors here (apart from the Princesses - who looked very nice! Lisa - stop rolling your eyes!)

1. Last year we were disappointed with the show and this year, despite the subject, I was going in with low expectations. Last year's show was made up of odd segments without any general theme. This year, the Princess theme (whether you like it or not) at least lead to some consistency throughout the production.
2. The show seemed a bit longer this year. We timed 55 minutes for part 1 and 45 minutes for part two - 100 minutes, compared to 89 minutes last year.
3. We had second row seats. I always thought it would be better to have a bit of elevation and so we've never been that close before. But Della and I both agreed that the close seating was a big improvement and we'll try that again next year.
4. The Ariel and Aurora segments were terrific - Ariel has featured a number of times in Disney on Ice, but I've never seen much Aurora and her segment was well done.

I still don't think it was anywhere near the quality of shows we'd seen in the past (2001-2005), but it was enjoyable and exceeded our expectations.

What was not so good
As Mel said in her post - there were a number of falls - we had four, which is way high considering the first one we had ever seen was in last year's performance. Poor Tinkerbell crashed three times in her first three runs on the ice - all in exactly the same spot, so I guess her skate edge was worn (she wasn't even spinning, she just went down). And Belle fell over at the very end of her routine. I don't mind falls however - I couldn't even stand up on skates so the odd crash is excused.

The little girl who sat behind just wouldn't shut up - and she had the loudest voice - and as she wouldn't sit in her chair but stood up right behind my left ear, I had her commentating for the whole show (although I've come to accept this in Disney on Ice!)

Merchandise
Programs - last year were $10. This year were $24! (140% increase - Ouch...that increase is just a tad over the CPI!!)
Although I have to admit the program is VERY nice - it is along the lines of the excellent Finding Nemo program from a few years ago - still, that is a big price increase (or maybe I should say that last year's was just very cheap?)
Plastic Disney on Ice bag - last year $1. This year $2 (100% increase)
Mickey Minnie fluffies - last year $40. This year $38! Wow - they went down! But they weren't the greatest, so for the FIRST time ever, we did not buy a fluffy at Disney on Ice.
Smaller fluffies this year were $19.
We did get a 25th Anniversary of Disney on Ice CD - $35. I'm glad we did as the music on it is from the Disney on Ice productions so they are unique arrangements I had never heard before.

So to sum up - we enjoyed it. I liked it more than Della - as Della admits she is much more of a character (fluffy) person, rather than Princess person.
Having a cohesive theme is better than last year's disjointed one.
The skating wasn't quite so good as previous years.
The staging was excellent.
The merchandising so-so.

Next year's event looks totally awesome - especially for people who've been to Disneyland. It will have the Jungle Cruise, Alice and the tea cups, the Tiki Room(!), Pirates of the Caribbean, and more - I can't imagine anyone on our website not going!
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:54 am

I can't imagine anyone on our website not going!
Uhmmmm...

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Uhmmmm...
...except for Greg.
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:20 pm

Great summary Keith, what fantastic detail. I can't even remember half of what you mentioned :lol: I have to admit, I enjoyed watching Disney On Ice a lot more before Ben came along. I'm hoping that as he gets older, it will be much more enjoyable again.

How good does next years' look? I can't wait!!!!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:29 pm

I can't even remember half of what you mentioned :lol:
Maybe it was the subject matter - it's funny, but for some reason I concentrated on this show much more than previous years... :)
How good does next years' look? I can't wait!!!!
Me too - this is going to be great!
Keith

Trip history:

alice in wonderland
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby alice in wonderland » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:57 am

hey Keith...Thanks for the review...I really enjoyed reading it. this was the first year that i didnt go in a very long time...I just thought Matilda would not be able to sit still so i will wait till next year...I am so excited for the DIsneyland theme!

Just a quick question...do you know if the Disney on ice skaters are american or australian. Does the whole cast travel the world or do they cast in ewach country? (my dentist wants to know and i said i knew just the person who would know the answer)!
I have no holidays planned to disney for a while....how depressing...i will just have to live through all your adventures!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Just a quick question...do you know if the Disney on ice skaters are american or australian. Does the whole cast travel the world or do they cast in ewach country? (my dentist wants to know and i said i knew just the person who would know the answer)!
Hi Jess - I had a look in the program and it is a very multi-national cast.

Each of the principal performers has a biography in the program and I read there is a mixture of skaters from Canada, America, Russia, the Ukraine, Finland, and Australia! Canada have by far the most principal skaters, with just one from Australia. The Australian bloke is from North Queensland (of all places...!!!) and has been touring around the world since joining in 2004 when we skated in the 100 Years of Magic shows.

According to Wikipedia - Disney on Ice actually have nine touring companies travelling the globe at any one time - that's an amazing statistic!
Keith

Trip history:

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm

2004 when we skated in the 100 Years of Magic shows
Did you and he enjoy it?

I think even I will go next year

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Did you and he enjoy it?
:oops: Oops - that was a good typo!! :D
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Well, its that time of year again...

Just got my Disney On Ice - Disneyland Adventure brochure in the mail today and it looks SPECTACULAR.

Definitely going to try and make it to this years show. Its 16 - 20th June , prices: A reserve - $45.50 , B reserve - $28.50.

Just the beautiful envelope that all the info arrived in was enough to have me clapping my hands. -/

Lisa. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Shows”