Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disney on Ice

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Excellent! My niece and nephew asked me just this past weekend if I was taking them this year. I've taken my nephew every year since he was 18 months old (he'll be 8 this year) barr one, and that was because I was in Disneyland when DOI was in Sydney.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

D on I - Finding Nemo (2007)

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:41 pm

Yay... its Disney on Ice time again.

I'm hoping to catch the show tomorrow in Brisbane.
Dependant on:
* a cantankerous car, :evil:
* a boss that might call me in ( despite tomorrow being my 'weekend' :evil: - suffering a similar affliction to my car perhaps)
* me being able to find my way to the venue on my own ( you know what girls are like with maps) :roll:
* there being tickets available at the door still. ( although Ticketek assured me that there will be)

I wont be able to make the final decision to go until tomorrow morning ( mostly thanks to Stocktake :evil: :evil: ) but my fingers are crossed.

Another Mickey handshake is a must, so I better not wear really high heels lest I have to break into a sprint to get to the rink before the kiddies again. :wink:

Who else is going to see D on I this year?

~ Lisa ~

HEY LOOK.... I'M AN 'E'... :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: D on I - Finding Nemo (2007)

Postby KeithS » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:22 am

Who else is going to see D on I this year?
Yay! Me me me :)

We are off to see it in Sydney on the 14th. I look forward to it each year, although I am a bit worried about the Finding Nemo theme (I don't usually like it when it is one long story - I prefer when they cover multiple short stories...) Still, I've never been disappointed by one yet.

Della keeps reminding me that there will be merchandise and it is her birthday coming up...
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: D on I - Finding Nemo (2007)

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:26 am

Della keeps reminding me that there will be merchandise and it is her birthday coming up...
hehee... :D

Its a girl thing. I checked out the website late last night to compile my 'possible purchases' list.

Think I might steer clear of the snow cones this year ( bleugh...... :x )
and I don't think I'll need the blow up mickey mouse chair, but theres probably going to be a plush or two with my name on them....

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:59 pm

Well, I made it to D on I today. :D

No spoilers I promise, until the show has finished in the other states.

The program is to die for. I liked it better than last years. The 'treat' that comes with it is interesting. :) And its a couple of dollars less than last years from memory.
The merchandise is fun, and well made, but seemed to be much higher price points than I remember last time. And yes, I did succumb.... I bought one of the seagulls ($38.00) but Mr Ray was a bit too exy to buy as well ($44) so he had to stay there, which is sad, as I was having visions of putting the rest of my collection of Nemo plushes on his considerable wings. Oh well. :(

The snow cones were the same yicky flavour by the looks on the faces of the kids in my row that were being force fed them due to their exhorbitant price.

There was an official photo booth with the Nemo backdrop that you could pose in for a souvenir photo in a pretty ordinary frame.

I managed to get in the first row after the VIP seats ( they were sold out by the time I got there) and was pleasantly surprised by how much easier it was to see from there, being the tiniest bit higher. Not using a flash rendered my photos less than perfect considering I only have a tiny digital. I'll put some in my album over the next couple of days for those who are not going and would like to have a look, just don't have too high an expectation of photographic brillilance.

Now the only disappointment of the whole thing was the fact that when the big finale was over, the characters promptly left the stage and didn't return for an opportunity to meet & greet. :evil:
And I'd been looking forward to that bit. Oh well.

Next years production doesn't really interest me so I might give that a miss yet.

I really enjoyed the show, its brilliantly colourful, at the same time as being quite dark ( and I know that doesn't make sense yet, but it will when you see it) which was not good for photos, but beautiful to watch. Most people used flashes despite it not making any difference from that distance anyway.

Oh... and no one fell over... :twisted:

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:28 am

Thanks Lisa - nice report. I'm looking forward to it more than ever now.

So what is next years show if you don't mind me asking?
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:59 pm

I think its High School Musical.

I could have gotten it wrong though.

That really doesn't interest me. I haven't even watched the movie. I wonder if it has the broad appeal that their classics do? The really little kids ( which were the majority of the punters there yesterday) will not be able to identify with it at all, and perhaps the same thing for adult fans.

Who knows, its been a huge hit, but it wouldn't be interesting enough for me to spend the petrol, the ticket price or any merchandise.

oh... and I forgot... if you want one of the gorgeous D on I nemo plastic bags to put your purchases in be prepared to pay $1 for it :shock:

Lots of the merchandise sales staff that I spoke to had an American accent and it made me wonder if they bring some 'Disneyfied' staff with them?

~ Lisa ~

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:48 pm

I tried to avoid High School Musical - but it was actually an ok movie - a bit like Student Exchange (an oldie from the 80's)

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:09 pm

I think its High School Musical.
Oh no! :(

I'm with you Lisa, I've avoided this as much as I could (except the live show they were doing at DCA, which was pretty good...)

I saw there was a HSM on Ice production, but I was hoping it was going to be a separate production from the standard D on I shows and not interfere with the annual productions - like you say, it has a more limited demographic.

Oh well, I'll still go...but I would rather see Mickey & friends (and princesses!!)
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:13 am

Ok, well, maybe I will watch the DVD and see if I could sit and watch it on ice before next year.

I'm hoping its a separate production to the usual D on I like you said Keith. That would be the best possible outcome. But I was thinking about this a bit more, and wondered that seeing as the HSM devotees are the very demographic that DON'T attend these shows on the whole, maybe they are trying to give them a taste so they are inclined to see further shows. Trying to broaden the brand maybe. And you are a case in point Keith.... the devoted Disney fans will attend anyway. And the Nanna's of the world out there are still going to want to take their little angels to see the show.
My daughter wouldn't go with me because she considered it too 'uncool'. Maybe she would go if it were HSM.

The only part of this years show she wanted anything to do with was to claim my seagull when it came through the door.
But of course, you know what I said don't you?

MINE, MINE,MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE

hehe.... :D

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:26 am

the HSM devotees are the very demographic that DON'T attend these shows on the whole
Well said - I never thought of that, but you are right...this may drag a whole new group to the normal D on I productions in years to come. Also, HSM2 is coming out, so Disney will be keen to keep interest up and sell sell sell more merchandise!
MINE, MINE,MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE
Now that's funny :D
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:12 pm

I bought one of the seagulls ($38.00) but Mr Ray was a bit too exy to buy as well ($44) so he had to stay there, which is sad, as I was having visions of putting the rest of my collection of Nemo plushes on his considerable wings.
Okay - we went to Disney on Ice in Sydney today, and I agree with all of Lisa's comments in her earlier post - the show was fabulous!

But the price point for the merchandise was amazing. Lisa quoted the prices above, but at the Sydney shows, the seagulls were $44, and Mr Ray $50 - and we should know, we bought them both, much to our disgust. I can tell you now that if it wasn't Della's birthday soon, we would have ignored the stands. The price ramp this year was ridiculous. Even the small plushes were $19!!

OKAY DISNEY - WHAT GIVES?? WHY DID SYDNEY HAVE TO PAY MORE???

And why do we have to pay for the plastic carry bags that are advertising YOUR show??? Shouldn't you pay us to carry them around to advertise your products???

The Consumer Products people at Disney Australia should be ashamed of themselves...

I am a pro-Disney person and promote the films, shows and theme parks to anybody who will listen at my own expense. I know I pay a high price for merchandise at the parks etc, but I've never felt ripped-off, I always thought I was getting some value for my money. Today, that opinion changed :(
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:17 am

The price ramp this year was ridiculous. Even the small plushes were $19!!
I might have only been to two D on I shows but the difference between the prices of the merchandise was quite noticable to me. I was pretty surprised that the plushes were that expensive. And the prices of the 'little kid' toys were way past what I thought was reasonable - even for a Disney show where you expect them to be a little higher.. The $14 for a pen with a little mickey/ minnie on the top was a shocker.
OKAY DISNEY - WHAT GIVES?? WHY DID SYDNEY HAVE TO PAY MORE???
Yeah.... thats interesting isn't it. Were the tickets dearer too? I wonder if the merchandise is dearer in Melbourne this year too....
That was a significant difference in the plushes.... And considering that the shows in Melb/Sydney would have been higher capacity and more than likely fairly full at most of the shows, you would think they could afford NOT to hike the prices at those venues. OR maybe the venue itself is dearer for them to use? ( not that that is any excuse)
And why do we have to pay for the plastic carry bags that are advertising YOUR show??? Shouldn't you pay us to carry them around to advertise your products???
Yeah :!: now I don't earn a lot of money, but if its Disney I tend to splurge a bit. But it really irked me having to pay for a plastic bag. ( course, I bought two - one to carry the stuff in - that one would undoubtedly get damaged getting through the show and then home - and one nice fresh one to store my program in when I got home .....so I must have SUCKER stamped on my forehead)
The Consumer Products people at Disney Australia should be ashamed of themselves...
Now thems fighting words.... ones I didn't think I'd hear you utter Keith :shock: you must be pretty steamed.

Oh.... And lucky Della :),
I would have loved Mr. Ray...... I could have done the whole scene with the 'school of little fishies' on his wings... with a few tank gang ring-ins to boot :(

So that only leaves one question..... will you be going to HSM on Ice next year?

~ Lisa ~

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:46 am

So that only leaves one question..... will you be going to HSM on Ice next year?
My daughter (11) has never wanted to go to DoI, so I have never been. She is already asking to go see HSM. So I guess I will be going - but there will be no purchase of $50 fluffies!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:52 am

We also went to the Sydney show yesterday (surprised I didn't see you Keith! :lol: ). The kids started asking for stuff but I flatly refused simply due to the exorbitant prices they were asking. I told them to wait until our next Park trip and we'll get "genuine" Nemo merchandise then.

On the show, we also loved it, but one comment I have to make is, I thought it was too busy in some parts. During the the "show" pieces there was alot happening and it was difficult to focus on something. We were up high in the "poverty" seats which were great mind you because you got to see the whole stage better and especially during the scene when the fish make shapes, we saw the shapes! But even being so high it was difficult to appreciate the showpieces. Apart from that the show was very clever with the costumes and sets. Typical Disney imagination and presentation.

And yes we'll definitely see HSM on Ice, that will translate quite well to a "On Ice" show we reckon.

And what is it with the "Straight Doughnuts" they were selling. We saw that and chuckled. Why didn't they call them what they are - Churros. Australians aren't that stupid are we? My youngest who got addicted to churros, said she didn't want one as it just wouldn't be the same! And I'm sure they wouldn't be $3.50USD equivalent price (approx $4), anyone know the price?
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Shows”