Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Fab 5

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

The Fab 5

Postby mushu mama » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:26 pm

I have heard of the 'Mickey, Donald, Goofy,Minnie,Pluto' combo referred to as the Fab 5. With a little more searching have discovered that sometimes Pluto is interchangable with Daisy to make a different option on the '5'. Since touching on this in another thread I have given this a lot of thought and have with difficulty come up with my own 'Fab 5' and wondered what different combos others would have and why.

I'll start the ball rolling: My Fab 5 are:

1 - Mickey - 'He's the man' (or is that mouse? , whole 'nother thread there!)
and also because his colours look good together -sorry but thats
the shopper in me coming out.
2- Mushu - He's irreverant, Sassy, loyal and 'travel-sized'. Oh and I like that
he's red!
3 - Cheshire Cat - unpredictable, irreverant, Cheeky and totally love that he
is pink and purple.
4- The entire Duckburg clan - cant separate them, love them all , lots of great memories.
5 - Stitch - love the goodness meter. Love his blue fur, loyalty to family and his sandcastle building abilitites.

the 'almost made it to the list' were: Mike(Monsters Inc), Goofy, Esmerelda, Dumbo, Dory and Woody.

so who are your fab 5 and why...

- Lisa :D

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:56 pm

Okay, this is going to be tough.

I'll have a good think about it at work tomorrow and hopefully post my Fab 5 when I get home.

Is Mickey really going to be compulsary? :D

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:34 pm

Ahhh yes - this is a great topic! Just don't get Greg talking about his opinions on Mickey :D

I've got to head out the door now - so I'll have to think about it too...I'll get back to this topic tomorrow!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:10 am

Ahhh yes - this is a great topic! Just don't get Greg talking about his opinions on Mickey :D
Am I so transparant? :D

It's probably going to take 2 lists. One is going to be my classic list and the other my own personal one.

The classic would have to be:

Mickey
Donald
Goofy

These are easy and obvious but the other 2 are a bit more difficult. Probably:

The 7 dwarves (as a single entity)
Pooh

I added the last 2 because they have gone beyond being characters and have become instantly recognisable Disney icons. Pooh would have to be the character appearing on more merchandise than any other.

My personal list would be:
Donald
Scrooge
Huey/Dewey/Louie
Belle
Mickey.

Okay, so I threw in Mickey, but it's not so much because I like him personally but more because I don't really think that any Disney list can omit him. After all, it all started with a mouse.

It's kind of interesting that only one of my 5 is from a movie. If I could find a real life Belle I would be a happy man and may even consider changing my ways and making a comittment. :D

The 3 ducks are all the comic characters. I've always thought that there are 3 Donalds. The one dimensional park character, the two dimensional cartoon character and the three dimensional Carl Barks comic character.

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

fab 5

Postby mushu mama » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:12 pm

Glad to see Mickey made it to the list...

- wasn't sure he would... :lol:

- Lisa.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:49 pm

Okay, I've had a think - and here goes - I apologise if there is a similarity to Greg's post - but I honestly came up with these before reading his post! This list is more about those characters that have been influential as opposed to just fun and popular (although most of these are fun and popular!)

1. Mickey - I have similar feelings to Greg regarding this character. However he is the dominant icon of animation - his silhouette is known world wide. You just need to see the 'three circle design' anywhere and you immediately think of Disney. He is just way too valuable and influential to ignore - he is my number one.

2. Seven Dwarfs - again, these are icons of the Disney brand - instantly recognisible symbols of animation quality, family entertainment, and the Disney company. They have appeared in every Disney Parade I've seen (except the Block Party Bash at DCA).

3. Ariel. Huh? I hear you say! Well let me explain - she is the first of the new generation of Disney female stars - headstrong and sexy - a far cry from the earlier portrayal of women in Disney films (meek, mild, and requiring men to save them, like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty...) Her movie began the Disney animation revival in 1989 - for which I am eternally grateful. Belle is still my favourite female character (she is the reason I returned to watching Disney movies after a 15 year hiatus) but Ariel started the new Disney.

4. Donald Duck - he is the perfect counterpoint to Mickey's perfect lifestyle. Mickey wasn't always perfect - in fact, he was downright cruel in the early days. But as his fame grew and he became that Disney symbol (see item 1.) he had to stop being a bad boy and support the company banner. Donald was the perfect solution to that - he can be as cranky as he likes - he has attitude and personality in spades (something Mickey sadly lacks), he has a great heart and he is extremely funny. If he is a bad boy - he doesn't affect the company stock price!

5. Buzz Lightyear - this is a questionable one for me - I feel I have to add someone from the Pixar fold, because these movies have changed animation forever (and not just from Disney). Without doubt Toy Story is Woody's movie, however he is just too clean cut to make this list - a bit like Mickey Mouse, but Woody doesn't have the Mickey Mouse symbology that got Mickey into the number 1 spot. So I've chosen Buzz - he is not perfect, but he is a modern symbol of the new way of movie making. I saw more kids that were excited to meet Buzz than Woody in Disneyland last year, and just like in the Toy Story movies, Woody is a bit old fashioned and has that pull string voice box - Buzz is plastic and has a red light he thinks is a laser, and three different voice recordings on his buttons! He is the winner here :)

Now, if my girlfriend was writing this list for me, she would say my favourite five are:
Belle, Ariel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White. As she pointedly stated to a cast member in Hong Kong last month while I was getting Cinderella's autograph "Keep taking photos - he likes the Princesses!"
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:46 pm

3. Ariel. Huh? I hear you say! Well let me explain - she is the first of the new generation of Disney female stars - headstrong and sexy - a far cry from the earlier portrayal of women in Disney films

Now, if my girlfriend was writing this list for me, she would say my favourite five are:
Belle, Ariel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White.
Hmmm ... what is it about princesses and guys?... I guess someone has to like 'em :wink:

Ok, Ariel, definitely paved the way for future dynamo princesses, a true ground breaker and deserves her entry in the list. But Sexy? ..... I must admit that I hadn't viewed her in that light and I wonder if she might be a bit girly to be sexy?,( I guess she does wear shells for a bra) depends on your definition I suppose.

Now, Pocahontas, gazelle like and those enviable legs- TICK. Belle - didn't wait around for prince charming -she changed the one she wanted (and 'that kiss' is probably the best Disney kiss) - TICK. Megara certainly used her feminine ways - TICK. But the award for sexy would have to go to Esmerelda - she knew what she had and knew how to use it ! TICK :!:
- but then I am so over the 'Disney Princess' merchandising juganaut that it probably colours my thinking.

(sheepish grin) Sorry, the mention of all those princesses set me off
- Lisa. :)

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:16 am

3. Ariel. Huh? I hear you say! Well let me explain -
I thought about this one but went for Belle because I see her as the first real female character who was aimed not only at little girls but at adults as well. I agree completely that Ariel saved the company, animation wise, but feel that Belle took things to a different level. The Little Mermaid may have made people look up but Beauty and the Beast really made them sit back and take notice.
5. Buzz Lightyear - this is a questionable one for me -
Interesting, I hadn't really considered Pixar.

Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:29 am

Hmmm ... what is it about princesses and guys?... I guess someone has to like 'em :wink:
Maybe we all have a desire to be a knight in shining armour and in this day and age the opportunity is just not there.

Ok, Ariel, definitely paved the way for future dynamo princesses, a true ground breaker and deserves her entry in the list. But Sexy? ..... I must admit that I hadn't viewed her in that light and I wonder if she might be a bit girly to be sexy?,( I guess she does wear shells for a bra) depends on your definition I suppose.
I do feel a little "dirty old manish" when I watch that movie. :oops: I never really saw her as sexy, more sweet and innocent.
Now, Pocahontas, gazelle like and those enviable legs- TICK.

Great legs but I doubt I'd be able to keep up with her, I get out of breath walking to the mail box.
Belle - didn't wait around for prince charming -she changed the one she wanted (and 'that kiss' is probably the best Disney kiss) - TICK.

Yeah, because every woman tries to change the man she's with and of course they are all successful at it. :wink:
Megara certainly used her feminine ways - TICK.

Okay, forgive my ignorance but, who?
But the award for sexy would have to go to Esmerelda - she knew what she had and knew how to use it ! TICK :!:

Agree 100% I have a real thing for that dark eyed, dark haired look. Sexy as hell but she would be so hard to keep up with and she also had that strange relationship with a goat.
Sorry, the mention of all those princesses set me off
- Lisa. :)

Same here. :twisted:

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:20 pm

Okay, forgive my ignorance but, who?Greg

Megara - Quintessential bad girl tamed by falling for a Greek God - Hercules (as one does!). She worked for Hades and was meant to lure poor Herc to his doom. Naturally, this being the Disney version, good triumphed over evil and they rode off into the sunset on a white winged horse , presumably lived happily ever after, yadah yadah.

Now the Djali thing - Was interested to see if there were any major significance with the pet goat so I googled several angles and came up with an experpt from (what I presumed was) the original book on the Hunchback by Victor Hugo. Esmerelda had a pet goat in this text. Disney did a mighty job sanitising this baby. MUCH prefer the Disney version.
- Lisa.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:34 pm

Megara - Quintessential bad girl tamed by falling for a Greek God - Hercules (as one does!).
Okay, now I remember (didn't they just call her Meg or something?). Hercules was one of those that I watched maybe twice at best and haven't revisited since. I might dust the video off, hook the VCR up again and give it a watch, if I ever get a day off.
Now the Djali thing -
Interesting. I'm guessing that the book is in the public domain by now so I might have to check out Project Gutenberg and see if I can download a copy. It might give me a whole new perspective.

I really liked Hunchback and thought it deserves a better rank than it normally gets. Frollo has to be the most well rounded and "un-cartoony" villian in any animated Disney film. Plus the song "God help the outcasts" always moves me.

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:33 pm

I might dust the video off, hook the VCR up again and give it a watch, if I ever get a day off.

I really liked Hunchback and thought it deserves a better rank than it normally gets. Frollo has to be the most well rounded and "un-cartoony" villian in any animated Disney film. Plus the song "God help the outcasts" always moves me.Greg
I had the same thought about it being time to rewatch Hercules after that discussion, and to my utter amazement :shock: I didn't own a copy. Went straight out and bought one today - tonights homework.

And you will certainly get a new perspective on Hunchback when you read ANY of the original. I always thought it was one of the darkest themed Disney movies but the original has more machinations and is down right seedier than the Disney version( with the lovely happy ending). One thing I did find fascinating was that Esmerelda wasn't actually the gypsy's name, but a nickname given to her because she wore an emerald coloured stone around her neck as an amulet.
Frollo is nearly too real - gives me the creeps. And Yep, the song is a tear jerker in the finest Disney fashion.
-Lisa. :)

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Animation”