Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Localised Character Voices

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Localised Character Voices

Postby KeithS » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Now here is a trend that I absolutely hate with a passion - and I am hoping for some interesting discussion on this :D

When Dreamworks released Shark Tale in 2004, the Australian version used the voice of Tracey Grimshaw (former host of the Today show on channel 9) as the voice of Katie Current. Likewise, the UK release used Fiona Phillips voice for Katie Current. In the original US version, Katie Current was voiced by Katie Couric (a US TV anchor women).

Now to me, this doesn't make sense as the movie was sort of like a New York gangster/loan sharking parody, and to put an Australian (or English) voice in was just wrong - it was only so the local movie poster could boast of a local actor.

Now, Disney has gone and done the same thing with Chicken Little - but in a much bigger and prominent role. They have replaced the voice of Buck Cluck (Chicken Little's dad) from the original actor, Garry Marshall (who is best known as director of Pretty Woman, Princess Diaries 1 & 2, and Runaway Bride) to the voice of Mark Mitchell - who is best known as...Con the Fruiterer!

Now, no disrespect to Mark Mitchell who I think is pretty cool - but Buck Cluck? He is an AMERICAN dad!!! He is a baseball star!!! Why bother using an Australian actor in a part that was well done in the first place??

To me, this is just a patronising marketing tool to the general public who the studios think don't know any better, and believe that an Australian voice is going to make more people locally go see it.

Kids aren't going to care who voices the characters, so it is really aimed at the mums and dads who take them.

Now I went and saw the 3D version in the cinema today, and that uses the original US voices - so go see that version if you can.

The disappointing thing for me is that when the DVD version is released here, you can bet it will be with Mark Mitchell's voice - looks like I'll have to import the UK PAL version (as long as they are not using an English dad's voice!)

Oh, and Disney/ABC television - note this - if there is an Australian part in a movie or TV - HIRE AN AUSTRALIAN - don't subject us to some really terrible accents such as in many episodes of Lost!!! At least hire an Australian for the ADR, you can give me a call if you want, I'll do any male dialogue replacement! Take a long hard look at Pixar - they got it right in Finding Nemo :)

Let me know your thoughts on this trend, you may entirely disagree!!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:11 am

I'm shocked! :shock:

I'm also a little dumbfounded at the reasoning behind it. Having the one Australian accent (I assume he's not putting on an American one because that would just be stupid) would be so jarring in a movie that is obviously set in the US. What could the thought have possibly been?

It's not as if we never hear American voices on TV or in the movies and have to have the accents subtitled for us. Who can we email and ask for an explanation?

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Animation”