Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Your favourite Disney animated movie...

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Your favourite Disney animated movie...

Postby mushu mama » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:36 pm

Boy its been quiet around here lately.
So in the interest of getting a bit more chat happening, I thought I would pose a very easy question that ANYONE can answer.

What are your top 5 favourite animated Disney movies and why?

And by this I mean, the ones you alway enjoy over and over again.

Now there is no way I could get it under 5 (and even then its going to be a struggle - I might need to add a few ), and I haven't worked out my answer yet either. :oops:
but I'll get straight on it....

Now put those thinking caps on everyone and lets hear it..... :D

~ Lisa ~
Last edited by mushu mama on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Cool - here I go...

1. Beauty and the Beast - hands down this is my favourite and is the movie that got me back into watching Disney stuff. I have the original 1991 soundtrack, movie poster, VHS release, DVD release, broadway musical soundtrack. Seen the movie countless times - twice on IMAX at Sydney and Melbourne, saw the Broadway production in Sydney, know all the songs by heart...Why is it so good? I guess it drew together a great story, great animation, great music, a great villain (who didn't set out to be a villain), a great heroine (who didn't set out to be a heroine), and a beast (who wasn't a beast!) It is the perfect example of a film that appeals to all ages - kids love it, adults love it.

2. The Lion King - I've seen this almost as many times the BATB (see above). In fact, my collection for this movie echoes all the above. The two films are almost equal in my list.

3. The Little Mermaid - it began the resurgance of the Disney company and drew kids and adults back to the cinemas. I love how the musical numbers add to the story - they aren't just add-ons, they help and enhance the storytelling.

4. Aladdin - because it is an action, adventure, comedy romance with music - I love action, adventure, comedy romance films!

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame - this movie is seriously under rated. It has a really bad bad guy, and the animation is terrific. This is a dark and adult film and was a little risky - but I like it.

There you go, there are some of my favourites - I reserve the right to edit this list as I wrote it on the fly, and I'll probably look at my DVD collection in a minute and think "oooh...that's a good one that I forgot about!"

Nice topic Lisa - come on everybody, we need some action around here :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:35 pm

Ok, I couldn't keep it down to 5. Theres going to be 6 with a couple of honourable mentions. They are in no particular order because that's just too hard. I love all these movies.

Now keep in mind that I base about 90% of my choices on sentiment (I am a girl after all) and movies need to have strong interesting characters for me to find them appealing over and over.
So here goes....

Mulan:
The stand out things for me in this movie are the background art, the fiery little package of Mushu, The music (particularly 'Reflections'), and above all, Mulan - a young woman of immense courage, resourcefulness, a clever mind and inner strength. (things that some of the Disney Princesses lack, which annoys me)

Alice in Wonderland:
I know lots of people don't particularly like this movie but for some odd reason, I've always loved it. Probably the Fantasy Vs Reality aspect. Mary Blairs artwork was amazing (such vibrant colours set against the black backdrop is brilliant) The eccentric imaginative language that treats English as a game rather than just something used to talk with. The Cheshire Cat is magnificent in all his michevious glory and I love the Mad Hatter ( so much so, I named my party shop after him) purely because he is nuts. And other than Mickey stuff, Mad Hatter stuff would be the second of my most treasured memorabilia (well, equal second with Donald perhaps).

Tarzan:
This has wow factor for me. Its the huge 'sets' (the deep canvas effect) the constant action, the 'greenness' and the haunting music. The very real emotions and character shown by the 'cast' also gets to me. and the best lines from the movie are:
" and Daddy, they took my boot" (Jane) - so girly in the midst of the wilderness. Cracks me up every time.
"Are you sure this water's sanitary? it looks questionable to me..."
Paranoia at its best. Love it.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame:
Such a colourful (read purple) movie to watch and yet with such a dark plot of lust and corruption of power with a baddy worthy of the title. I never tire of this movie. Some moments in this one give me chills eg: when Quasimodo holds Esmerelda in his arms and cries for sanctuary and the whole 'hellfire' scene. This is a real 'thinking' movie, even the songs make you think. Course it doesn't hurt that it is set in France.

Beauty and the Beast:

Is there anyone that doesn't like this movie? Of all the Disney Princesses, Belle is my favourite. Intelligent, inquiring and knows her own mind. The art is magnificent (particularly the stained glass window in the opening scene) as is the music. The colours are perfection and the Ballroom scene always gives me goosebumps. My favourite scene is the transformation and subsequent kiss that in my opinion is the best animated one ever. This one has real Disney Magic and a truly sigh-worthy love story ( yeah, girly, I know).

The Lion King:
Absolutely the best opening scene in a Disney Movie (With Tarzan a close second). The lavish landscapes capture the feeling of the 'pridelands' brilliantly. The music is outstanding. I love the overall theme of progression from a 'hakuna matata' lifestyle to finding your rightful place. I love Rafiki's insightful eccentricity and Timon's quips. Again the colours in the animation set the tone for me.

And the honourable mentions - Lilo and Stitch and The Little Mermaid. Both are colourful, energetic, and have great music.

Phew, all done. There are so many more that I love as well, but these are the ones I would sit and watch over and over.

~Lisa~ :D

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 pm

Okay, I'm basing this on most-watched in my adult life.

Cinderella: Has always been my favourite. It's just such a classic story and if you can't get lost in a fairytale....well that would be just sad. Cindy also has some of my favourite songs in it. I LOVE So This Is Love? and A Dream Is A Wish.

Lilo and Stitch: Since it came out this has probably been the most watched DVD in our household. It's by far my husbands favourite and we're painting our babies' nursery based on the background colours in the film. I've appreciated the watercolour effect even more since we bought our plasma a year back too. Stitch is a GREAT character and it's great to have a character that boys can like without feeling too girly. I love the humour in it too.

Beauty and the Beast: Belle is awesome. She's gorgeous, smart and SO into books. My husband has often wondered why she isn't my fave princess (Cindy will forever be) since just like her, I've ALWAYS got my nose in a book. (He loves Gaston's quote about women not being allowed to read because then they will start getting ideas :roll: :lol: ) The music is great as is the storyline. The re-watchableness (yes I just invented a word) is high - you can't get sick of it.

Snow White: The one that started them all! I probably love it more for it's sentimental value and overall effect it had on the Walt Disney company, but how can you not love Grumpy and Dopey? It was also my first ever DVD purchase so I probably watched it a whole lot in the beginning because it was the only one I owned! :lol: It also has a princess and I LOVE my princesses.

Sleeping Beauty: The colours! The artwork - BEAUTIFUL! The best Disney villain ever. A couple of memorable songs and a great storyline. What else do you need? Oh and a princess of course. I REALLY have a princess thing :D

Having listed those five, I often just feel like watching a particular Disney movie and then get blown away by how good it is. I forget just how good they all are. With one or two exceptions, I could watch any one of them at any time and fully enjoy the experience.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:48 pm

It also has a princess and I LOVE my princesses.
Yay - at last, another princess fan around here! See Sandie - I'm not the only one (although probably the only bloke...at least who will admit it...:) )

I should have added Cinderella to my favourite list, it is a great film. The funny thing is I had never seen it until 2006 when the DVD was released - mainly because no one I had spoken to liked it that much, but when I bought the DVD, I thought the movie was fabulous (oooh...the evil stepmother gives me the willies - you just have to cheer on Cinderella!) I also like the side story with the mice versus Lucifer - that is really funny.

I'll have to dig out my Sleeping Beauty DVD again as it is a long time since I watched it - the artwork is great and Princess Aurora is awesome (especially when I met her in Hong Kong DL hehe!) but I can't remember being overwhelmed by the story itself (although Maleficent is a great baddy) - it is time for me to get reacquainted with that film.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Animation”