Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Gender roles

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Gender roles

Postby calisota » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:50 am

Just read a very interesting blog post at http://vastpublicindifference.blogspot. ... oblem.html

Maybe it's because I'm a boy but I never really think about stuff like this.

It made me realise that we seem to have a very evenly balance representation on this forum.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Gender roles

Postby KeithS » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:39 am

Maybe it's because I'm a boy but I never really think about stuff like this.
Yep - people (especially some women) do read a lot into these things. I sit back in the cinema and just enjoy it for whatever story there is. I don't care if the character is male or female, a maid, a princess, a robot, a dog, or an alien. I just watch it to be entertained. (I'm a man, I have the right to be shallow)

Also think back to who makes up Pixar - if you ever read the Pixar Story (a great book) you'll see that most of the people who originated the company are technical-geeky guys (including Lassiter). Sure, they now have a lot of non-technical story people/film makers too, but this may go some way to explaining why there is a male focus. Look at the Pixar credits - all the directors and story people are male - a lot of them from technical backgrounds. Maybe they just find it easier to write male roles - I know that would be the case for me.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:03 am

Yep - people (especially some women) do read a lot into these things.
Whilst I think that you've gone out on a limb with a comment like this Keith (awaits the Ladies response), I do agree with you. Just enjoy, or not enjoy whatever the case, the movie for what it is. I reckon anyway, that when these guys go home, like in 99.99% of households around the world, that they are just subservient males who are told what to do when by their loving but in control wives! So their release is in their movies. And you did say Keith that the bulk of the production crew are males.

I wonder if she has seen Lilo and Stitch. Purely dominated female story, but heaven forbid, they have no parents. But then there are a couple of male characters ...
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:14 am

Whilst I think that you've gone out on a limb with a comment like this Keith (awaits the Ladies response),
I always thought they made the main characters men so that when they were killed off we wouldn't miss them so much!

Sandie

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:15 pm

I always thought they made the main characters men so that when they were killed off we wouldn't miss them so much!

Sandie
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But after reading the blog my only reaction is that I feel the magic slipping away... I'm sure there will always be people who will look at Pixar/Disney as fodder for social commentary. (I'm probably not a great one to comment as I love James Bond movies!)

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Animation”