Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Flowers on Cars

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Flowers on Cars

Postby KeithS » Wed May 16, 2007 11:01 am

Okay - a completely un-Disney related rant :) (please note this is not a serious discussion - just a fun observation...)

Have you people noticed these cars with the big pink and yellow stick-on flowers on their rear windows? Especially on four wheel drives?

What are people thinking? They've just started appearing over the last few months and to me, they look a little stupid. In 10 years time, people will look back at them and say "What were we thinking? Why did we think they looked good?!?" - just like all those people who put giant butterflies on their front porches in the 1970s!!!

Any other weird trends happening out there at the moment?
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed May 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Yes keith, it does look pretty silly. When you see them on the small cars with young girls driving, it's OK, but on the family cars, well obviously Dad lost on that one. Although I'm sure people look at my small car with a 50th Anniv Mickey Antenna Topper and think what a dork, so each to his own.

Another silly fad is kids writing on each other. When the girls come the our 14 yo netball training session, they've always got pen or texta all the way up their arm - even my daughter has it sometime. They get bored and write on each other! And don't get me started on the boys wearing their pants around their knees ...
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Flowers on Cars

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 16, 2007 2:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have you people noticed these cars with the big pink and yellow stick-on flowers on their rear windows? Especially on four wheel drives?
Ok... yeeees... I drive a 4WD....

and .... wait for it.....

Got ya....
Nope. I don't have those lairy frangipani stickers on my car.
In fact, I am so over them we have a game in our car that goes something like this..

Lisa: Oh Good grief... look at that one...
Millie: it looks like a classic sticker sneeze to me mum.. (scrapbooking term for too many and ill placed stickers)
Zach: actually, I think they put them on in the dark somewhere.. thats heinous.
Lisa: ok.. point value?
Millie: 1 - for enthusiasm
Zach: .25 only cos the car goes.

Sadly rarely do we give above a 3 when there are frangipani stickers involved.
( and I love frangipanis - just not the sticker variety)
just like all those people who put giant butterflies on their front porches in the 1970s!!!
Huh? I don't remember butterflies on front porches... you have to remember I spent the 70's in a tiny country town near the Grampians... I don't remember anything but hideous car tyres cut out to look like swans or rusty farm implements that people thought looked arty. ( come to think of it... they still do that)
my small car with a 50th Anniv Mickey Antenna Topper and
think what a dork,
the only stickers I will allow on my car are Disneyland ones. Only the TDL one is so faded now you can hardly see it, but theres no way its coming off till I have a new one to replace it with.
They get bored and write on each other!
yep... my daughter comes home like that too.

oh and don't forget for the girls everything has to have a skull on it or be some hideous reminder of the 80's fashion vault that should never have been reopened.
and I have an almost 16 year old boy - I know all about the low slung pants thing. Unless they are 3 sizes too big they are just not wearing them. But up here, they wear all their tops so tight they have to be peeled off.Like muscle shirts.
And those vile 'plaid golf shorts' that are de rigueur for the BMX scene, often sported with a flanellette shirt that screams its objection at the plaid shorts - Gives me the shivers thinking about it.
And my pet hate ( back to that sticker thing) I object to spending in excess of $70 on the 'right' helmet and then it gets covered in stickers ( only the cool $5 a pop ones mind you) within 10 minutes of it being out of the box.

This could be a very long thread...
Theres a lot of weird stuff out there :lol:

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed May 16, 2007 3:13 pm

they've always got pen or texta all the way up their arm
Which reminds me of another recent trend - especially amongst football players (rugby league and AFL) - what is the story with the players getting just one arm completely tattooed? Did it hurt so much that they could bother to get the other one done too? :lol:
I don't remember butterflies on front porches
Wow - you missed out on something special :roll: There was a period where people put life-like (but giant) butterflies on the wall beside the front door of their house. I was just mentioning this thread to Della when she said "yep - we had one of those on our old house in the 1970s!" Maybe it was a Sydney suburban thing :)

And then there is this whole "emo" culture thing that seems to have slipped me by - I'd never even heard of it until a news article on telly this week - now I'm running into it everywhere! Hey kiddies - go read a book, or play cricket, or set the local paddock on fire - stuff that normal kids used to do :) (just kidding about the fire bit - don't play with matches :D That's what the naughty kids did :D ) Stop feeling sorry for yourselves and have some fun!
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed May 16, 2007 4:17 pm

(just kidding about the fire bit - don't play with matches :D That's what the naughty kids did :D )
Oh, um, naughty kids hey. Ah .. well .. then .. I think I can hear my mum calling!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed May 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Here's another. Oversized sunglassess. These things looked bad in the 70s when they at least matched the bad fashion in vogue at the time. Some of them are so huge they look like fearless fly.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 16, 2007 5:27 pm

Can't say I've noticed the one armed tattoos... not really focusing on their arms. :)

And Anthony... tsk tsk....
Hmm.... I bet you smoked behind the shelter shed too.

Sorry but the oversized sunnies are Da Bomb. :lol:

They are like an extra limb. So much so that I reguarly get half way through a shift at work and realise they are still on my head. My boss is so used to it now that she just chalks it up to another "Lisa-ism". :)
Nope... a girl cannot do without her sunnies - especially when you are as ancient as me.... crows feet you know - fate worse than death.

Fearlessfly... :lol:

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Wed May 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Sorry guys - the worst fashion crime is young women wearing strapless tops and dresses over normal bras! What is it with not only bra straps showing but usually the whole back of the bra!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 16, 2007 11:24 pm

Yeah that does look a little tacky.

I think the operative word there is 'normal' bra's...

Now if they had the good taste ( and/or the money) to wear Simone Perele or Nina Ricci then a girl could be forgiven almost anything. :wink:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu May 17, 2007 12:27 pm

Sorry guys - the worst fashion crime is young women wearing strapless tops and dresses over normal bras! What is it with not only bra straps showing but usually the whole back of the bra!
I was thinking about this a bit more and the interesting thing is that wearing your underwear on the outside is nothing new. Quite apart from Madonna and her tasselled corselette, they were doing the 'show your chemise' thing in the 18th Century... so everything old is new again. Thats why French Lingerie is so spectacular - they've had a long time to perfect it.

Even the 'Man make-up' thing was around in ancient Egyptian times.
So Beckham is not so much setting a trend as following one. :)
Not really my cup of tea though.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu May 17, 2007 12:32 pm

Even the 'Man make-up' thing was around in ancient Egyptian times.
Man make-up. Now that caught me by surprise - I thought we were meant to look a little rough? Now they say men are meant to be looking smooth and young? What do women want from us??? arrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!! :D
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu May 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Now they say men are meant to be looking smooth and young? What do women want from us??? arrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!! :D

:lol: :lol:

Nah....
most of us would be more than happy with a garden variety bloke.

the other ones are just eye candy. :twisted:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri May 18, 2007 9:49 am

Thongs. Not the pleasant to look at variety. But the "what's wrong with paying $25 for a pink rubber pair?" variety. Some girls, and now blokes as well, get themselves all dolled up with fashion clothes that generally look OK (except for the pants around the knees as already discussed), and then furnish the outfit with a pair of thongs. Oh of course, since the yanks and poms starting calling them flip flops, everything changed - but they're still rubber thongs. For me thongs are a fashion feaux pas, or weird trend!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri May 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Thongs. Not the pleasant to look at variety.
Unfortunately few women and even fewer men actually look pleasant in the 'other variety'. And probably not one of them was comfortable at the time. :? I've had some perfectly good beach holiday photos totally ruined by the people and their choice of attire that I didn't notice in the background. :shock:
But the "what's wrong with paying $25 for a pink rubber pair?" variety.
I fail to see the problem. There are thongs and there are thongs. The Woolies variety are for the beach and the Havaiana's are for when you don't have to take them off and risk having them pinched. Havaiana's are the most comfy thongs on the market. The fact that one must have them in purple, pink and turquoise is just a necessary evil. 8)

Course I don't advocate them for anything other than casual.
the yanks and poms starting calling them flip flops, everything changed
Urgh.... I detest that label. They're thongs. Flip flop is what bunny ears do.

So how much money is 'reasonable' for a pair of shoes then?

Possible Girl version.... 'work shoes' $100
'to-die-for shoes' around $180
'comfortable to-die-for shoes' $strip the credit card.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri May 18, 2007 1:04 pm

So how much money is 'reasonable' for a pair of shoes then?
Now here's a can of worms that common sense is screaming at me to stay away from, but where's the fun in that!

How much is reasonable? Being a husband and a father, I look at the cost per use equation. For $100 I expect at leat a minimum of 5 years use wearing at least twice a week. Wearing every day happy for 2 years.

That's what I expect! What really happens? I say yes, that's nice. How much? Alright then, whatever.

I still have the "Don't forget we're saving for our next [insert preferred disney location here] trip so do you really want to pay that much?" card which does work in my favour sometimes!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”