Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

booking travel

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
gabrielle2106
A Ticket
A Ticket

booking travel

Postby gabrielle2106 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:13 am

I'm currently trying to book our holiday in November to Disneyland. I've tried several times to contact Flight centre who say they have the cheapest deals. We went with them in 2004 and I was most upset, we stayed at the Grand Californian for 3 nights, and later found they were offering a 4th night free, so we certainly would have stayed longer if we knew...now I can't even get them to return emails or phone calls. Anyone use any other travel companies that are cheap and reliable???????????

Vicki

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:57 am

Hi Vicki.

I've used Flight Centre myself a few times without any problems. The trouble is that every travel agent is going to say that they are the cheapest and best and essentially they are all the same How far away from an actual bricks and mortar place are you? I've found that establishing a relationship with someone (going in now and getting brochures, asking questions, going in every few weeks to ask more questions) can help. If nothing else they are going to remember you. :)

To avoid the 4th night problem of last time it may pay to get in contact by email with the place you will be staying and hounding them with questions about what they are offering.

I must admit that i've never done any travel booking online myself but maybe it's a possibility to arrange it all yourself and cut out the middle man. Anyone else tried this?

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Hey Vicki (hope this is not too late)

I also booked through Flight Centre when I went to Anaheim last year. My local FC (not their website) was fantastic and it really does help to build a rapport with the customer service person - in my case I was lucky because they were also Disney fans.

That said, for my recent trip to Hong Kong DL, I just booked everything myself and cut out the middle man. I booked Qantas flights through their website, and booked accommodation at Disney's Hollywood Hotel via email correspondence with the Hong Kong Disneyland Reservation Centre (who were fantastic to deal with!)

Try a different Flight Centre office if you are not getting good service.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

gabrielle2106
A Ticket
A Ticket

booking trips

Postby gabrielle2106 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:41 pm

I've ended up doing a mixture. I got FC to get my airline tickets, I got a heap of quotes,and they beat the cheapest one I could get. I booked the hotel myself online, I got it way cheaper than they could do, I've also booked our hire car, got our annual passes and tickets for Universal and Sandiego. I figure booking online myself has saved me over a thousand dollars for the 3 of us. We'll be there 1st November, just can't wait.

Vicki

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:39 pm

Nice one Vicki - I'm sure you have a great time - I'm jealous already :)

As a post script - I also booked my Anaheim hotel direct through the internet. But all the rest (flights, park tickets, Universal, San Diego Sea World, Hollywood Tour etc) was booked through FC.

I stayed at the Best Western right across Harbor Blvd at the traffic lights - I just used their own website only because Flight Centre didn't have it on their books (which I found a bit weird, as they had the other Best Western's in Anaheim which are further from the park, and they also had the Carousel which is right next door to where I stayed.)

Catch you around.
Keith

Trip history:

gabrielle2106
A Ticket
A Ticket

booking trips

Postby gabrielle2106 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 pm

We're staying at the Park Vue inn, great rates at the moment, particularly for long periods. We're staying 21 nights. On another subject, have you thought about moving this forum to Yahoo groups, you get good traffic and its a lot easier for people because you can have the mail sent direct without having to log on all the time. I'm sure the group would pick up more members if it was on yahoo and the chat would increase.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: booking trips

Postby calisota » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:48 pm

On another subject, have you thought about moving this forum to Yahoo groups,
If the majority would prefer to move this site to another medium then I don't have any real problems with it. I'll set up a thread with a poll and open the idea up to discussion.

Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:57 pm

I'm beginning to be completely sold on the idea of booking travel online. I've always enjoyed sitting down with a travel agent and felt like it was part of the excitement of the trip but now I'm not so sure. There are certainly bargains to be had if you're willing to do the digging yourself.

I'm planning a bit of a trip myself and I'm starting a new thread asking for advice and ideas. Hope you can help.

Greg

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:36 am

Our last two trips - 7 weeks in 2003 and 1 week in Disneyland in 2003,plus the tripI amworking on froAugust 2007 were completely booked without a travel agent. I still go and grab their brochures but all that shows me is how much they are ripping people off.

In 2003wewent to DL for ten days, San Francisco for 4, DC for 4, spent two days exploring the Amish area, 4 days in NYC anda bit over 3 weeks in WDW. We had $20US a day for food and spending and I paid for all attraction tickets etc before we left.

I priced this through a travel agaent and it came to over $40,000, we paid about $27,500. Hotels and cars are where you can save the most. The only item I ever buy here is travel insurance.

I know it can be funto sit down with a travel agent but it is even more fun to ring the US and talk to an "accent"!

I have currently priced our trip next on this years prices and have airfares to San Francisco for $1599. The trip will include 5 days in San Francisco,aday in Cleveland, 2 days at Cedar Point in Ohio, 3 days at the Mopar Nats (don't even ask!) a week driving from Ohioto New Orleans (including a much anticipated stop at Kermits birthplace), 3 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel and 21 nights at Port Orleans Riverside. I am looking at $21,000. Its still expensive but bearable-if wed on't eat for the next year!

Best websites to check for deals are:

http://www.mousesavers.com
direct hotel websites
andif you are going toWDW join Tour Guide Mike.
The best $$$$ saving news group is The Mouse for Less on Yahoo groups- but it is very active so expect a lot of emails.

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:13 am

3 days at the Mopar Nats (don't even ask!)Sandie
I'm hearin' ya Sandie. I have to endure endless discussions about mopar stuff from my 15 year old son. I just let him go 'cos I like to hear his now grown-up voice! I 'argued' with him for a week about the non-necessity of yet MORE mopar stickers from eBay, gave in (as you do) and where did the stickers come from - 3 streets away! I'm not even telling him there are Mopar Nats.

Sounds like a great trip in the works. Keep us posted wont you, my planned trip has hit a snag so its nice to hear someones going somewhere!

- Lisa.

:)

handicam
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby handicam » Tue May 23, 2006 12:27 pm

Our last trip was 12 months today ( how i wish it was 12 months ago today). We booked everything online. It cost us 25,000 aud for the full 5 weeks we were there including spending money. This included 5 nights in New York 3 broadway shows. 14 days at disneyland at carousel inn and disneyland hotel for 3 nights vegas for 5 nights san diego Hollywood all transport etc. For something different if you are going to anaheim from San Diego or vice versa take the Amtrak train. Double decker along the coastline right on the beach absolutely beautiful.
All in all we saved over 9,000 aud by doing it all online.New York is now our new mecca and Mary Poppins and Tarzan are next on our itinerary and with our local dance school they are interested in us doing a broadway tour for the school but its only in the infant stages yet.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue May 23, 2006 9:52 pm

take the Amtrak train
Aren't they just fantastic. We caught a double-deck Amtrak from Oakland and headed north along the shoreline of San Francisco Bay all the way to Antioch before heading inland to Modesto and Merced. It was a great trip - those trains are amazing, you get to meet interesting people, and the scenery was awesome. I still have my Amtrak napkins :)

The San Diego - Anaheim route along the coast would be great.
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 24, 2006 10:00 am

I still have my Amtrak napkins :)
What? No sugar sachets? :)

- Lisa

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed May 24, 2006 6:55 pm

What? No sugar sachets? :)
I had them on the train but they ended up in my coffee! The napkins were all I saved - it goes to show that I can collect anything!
Keith

Trip history:

dustwytch
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby dustwytch » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:55 am

My daughter Kate Marsh is a travel agent at Escape Travel Parramatta and is also a member of the Disneyana Club - we have been to DL 6 times and WDW twice so she knows exactly what you'll want to do and see. Give her a call on 02 9865 9277 or email her on kate.marsh@escapetravel.com.au and let her know you are from Disneyana and she'll give the cheapest price possible.
Judith

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”