Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Latest Harry Potter

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:01 pm

Now don't get me wrong - I love the HP books and I enjoy the movies but for me the best thing about Universal Orlando's announcement ishopefully it will light a fire under the nether regions of Disney Management to fight back with something even better. After all Disney/MGM Studios was built because Universal decided to open an East Coast theme park. I would much rather walk through the worlds of Star Wars than HP.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Harry Potter World at Universal Orlando

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:36 pm

And if Fred and George finally open their joke shop - well I'll be in line to get some of their products :)
They already have a shop in Diagon Alley remember? they set it up with the money Harry won from the Triwizard tournament.
Weasly's Wizard Wheezes...

Or do you mean another branch in Hogsmeade?
I'd rather go to the lolly shop I think... :D
I'd be too scared I'd end up being slipped a nose-bleed nougat, fainting fancies or something equally terrifying... And what was the one that made you cough feathers? don't really want one of those either.

I would much rather walk through the worlds of Star Wars than HP.
Now that's a toughie.... I'd like to explore both.
I am a huge Star Wars fan, (didn't they used to have a fake Tatuin at WDW) but I think HP would be in front by a scabbers whisker.

hehe... just felt like colouring in.... :)

so just for the sake of conversation... what patronus do you think you would conjure?

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:14 am

what patronus do you think you would conjure?
The world's largest Visa card - then I could go whenever I want!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:50 am

The world's largest Visa card - then I could go whenever I want!
:D :D :D

Love it....

jury's still out what mine would be... maybe I'll ask the girls at work today.( pretty sure they'd come up with some interesting ones :roll: )

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:18 am

The world's largest Visa card
Now that was a funny answer.

For me, I guess it would have to be a coffee cup. I'm a 7 cup a day person, and I don't drink anything else - not water, not orange juice, not tea - just coffee...

Of course, I can't sit still and I sleep 45 minutes a day - but what the heck, I'll sleep when I'm dead :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm a 7 cup a day person, and I don't drink anything else - not water, not orange juice, not tea - just coffee...
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... I very much fear for your kidneys Keith.
I sleep 45 minutes a day :)
not at all surprised. :)

I still haven't decided what I would conjure up to protect me.....

Some suggestions from my workmates are:
A giant Mickey Icon ( fitting, but not all that original)
A Kookaburra ( what would that do.... laugh them to death?)
A Giant Margarita ( now that would get me into trouble, not out of it :roll:)

I was waiting for them to tell me some fearsome creature I would be able to summons from within..... Oh well.....

Maybe a little red dragon with a smart mouth perhaps? :wink:

~ Lisa ~

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:54 pm

Has anyone else seen the trailer/teaser for the "order of the Phoenix" ? I googled them tonight seeing as the posters are all up in the Cinema.

Looks pretty good. Umbridge is nothing like I see her in my minds eye, I envisaged her much fatter, so hopefully they made her extra mean to compensate. Each film is getting darker and darker, and I don't just mean the feel of the movie, but the look of it. At this rate they'll be shooting the last one in the pitch black :? I guess it's just to add atmosphere.

Can't wait for that one to hit the cinema. This is another series I have to see multiple times on the big screen. And it'll mean another soundtrack to add to my HP collection. The music gives me goosebumps.

And Lordy, the book is almost here too. :D Cool. I'm up to "Phoenix" in my re-read attempt so I'll be ready for the next movie, if not for the next book. I've decided to buy it on the release date ( thats become a tradition) but will only read it when I am up to it in sequence. ( If I can be that patient when everyone around me is reading it in a couple of sittings like I normally would)

~ Lisa ~

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:45 pm

And Lordy, the book is almost here too. Cool. I'm up to "Phoenix" in my re-read attempt
Thats where I am up to too! I saw the trailer today when i took my son back to see PotC 3 for a second time and it looked awesome - nothing wrong with dar either. Its only when you reread the books from the beginning that you see how dark they become as you move through the series. My daughter has not gotten beyond 3, Goblet started off way too scary for her.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Umbridge is nothing like I see her in my minds eye, I envisaged her much fatter
Yeah - I'm with you there. I always thought of her as looking something like Ros from Monsters Inc - you all know Ros, the fat slug like admin lady with the glasses - a human version of her was what I was imagining for Umbridge.

Yep - they are getting darker - and not just figuratively. There is definitely more night/indoor/dark corridor scenes, and this will be no different, especially with all the Ministry of Magic visits in this upcoming film.

This trailer is looking hot - I can't wait for the film. Wow, opens on the 11th - another thing to countdown to!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:35 pm

My daughter has not gotten beyond 3, Goblet started off way too scary for her.
My daughter and I are both reading Phoenix at the same time - yep, same book. She reads it when I am at work and I read it at night. :)
She has read them all several times - all but HBPrince, I think at the time, it was getting a little dark for her as well. Now, she is vowing and declaring to finish it so she can read the last one.
I always thought of her as looking something like Ros from Monsters Inc
EXACTLY :!:
I envisaged her just like that. But with pink hair accessories in curly light brown hair, with painted nails on fat stubby fingers laden with rings. ( thats just how I see her in my head :) The one on the trailer has straight dark hair with a blonde streak.

Still the HP movies never disappoint. :)

~ Lisa ~

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:37 pm

Ok... well, I thought that it being so close to the release of "Deathly Hallows" that I better hurry up and expound some of my wacky theories about the way things might pan out.
I'll do the nutshell version ( could still be long :oops: ) cos frankly, no one has the time required to read all the thougths I have about this last book. Keeping in mind that I don't know how any of this could happen, just that these are the things that I wonder will be significant.

OK... get yourself a cuppa and prepare for a tome.... :roll:

I think that this will end where it began ..... centred around the deaths of Lily and James Potter. I believe that much of what transpired after that was a result of what happened in that house in the 24 hours after their deaths, and also because of the miscalculation by Lord V in his desperation to kill them by forgetting crucial old magic. The boy who lived messed up his plans.

Lily and James lived and were killed in Godric Hollow right? I wonder if this place was named after Godric Gryfindor and if perhaps there is a family connection to that location ( be it the house or the land or something) that somehow plays into the feud between Lord V and the aforementioned founder, making it a significant place for a murder and then a subsequent horcrux ( remembering that the piece of soul that splits after a murder can then be placed in a horcrux with an ancient spell)

Old magic:

We are going to hear a lot about old magic. I think that in the end, its the old magic that will be the most powerful and important for the demise of Lord V. There has got to be something more to do with Harry's eyes being so like his mothers - such a lot of references to them could not be for nothing. Lily was like Hermione... had a wide knowledge of all sorts of magic rather than just the 'bells and whistles' variety. What if she somehow put some kind of 'incantation' out there before Lord V burst into the room to protect Harry even further? Maybe he'll be able to 'see' what she saw in those final moments or something else she saw that was significant.

I think Harry will defeat Lord V in the end, because good has to triumph over evil - after 7 books it just has to right?. I think that Harry will spend most of the book resigning himself to die in any final battle with Lord V but when all else fails, will use the same old magic to best Lord V that his mother did to protect him.... Love. Maybe to save Ron or Hermione.
And by being willing to sacrifice himself for someone he loves, will take the last shred of Lord V's soul.

I think that as well as the location of the last 'big battle', the title has to have something to do with Halloween. Wasn't that when Lord V killed Harry's parents? Perhaps it comes full circle and is a big show down amongst the pumpkins and the candy? :wink:

OK...
the Horcruxes....

we know that a few have been destroyed, but a few remain unaccounted for. I think that again, Godric Gryfindor will have a role to play here. Maybe Lily and James owned something of his and it was made into a horcrux after James' death ( Lord V is pretty arrogant, so maybe he did that between killing James and Lily). And yes, Lord V couldn't have retrieved it ( due to his 'almost' demise) but I think Wormtail did it for him.
There's been lots of speculation that Harry himself might have unwittingly been made into a horcrux ( or that of his scar) but JKR has said ( I think) that is not true. And anyway, why would you make a horcrux out of something that you are trying so hard to kill? And actually, having used Nagini as one, is pretty foolish, given that she can also be killed - and perhaps may be a weak link.

I also think that the locket that was supposed to have been destroyed ( the one that was in the 'Noble House of Black' that couldn't be opened) was not actually destroyed as first thought, but swapped for a fake by either Mundungus - he had lots of opportunity and was selling stuff in Hogsmeade from the Black Residence from memory, and Mrs. W was anything but trusting of him - or perhaps Kreacher has it hidden in his hidey hole - him being so loyal to the Dark Lord, and perhaps knows of its significance.

I think that ancient magic will be what is used to find and ultimately destroy the remaining horcruxes, because Lord V - in his arrogance - only thought of it after Lily died, and by then he was only a shadow and too weak to make anymore.

I also agree that such a big deal was made about SPEW that Hermione's efforts will actually show results - when that locket needs to be located from Kreacher perhaps?

Neville has a major role to play I think, but I wonder if it will be him that gets killed avenging his parents incapacitation. Probably using some wizzbang potion ( yep I know that he is pretty woeful at those but his knowledge of herbology is exceptional and that might spur him on to help the DA troups showing the true heroic streak that is his heritage )

Ok... thats the nutshell version... :D and that was just the tip of the iceberg....

Theres probably heaps more I could add, but I don't want to steal JKR's thunder.... hehe.... :lol:

Enjoy the new movie this week everyone.... I'll be there with bells on.

~ Lisa ~

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:58 am

Plus:

Narcissa Malfoy is a bit of a loose cannon, and she obviously knows snape pretty well, and perhaps not from just the Death Eaters association, but perhaps they were 'an item' at school? Course, I still think Snape had a 'thing' for Lily. I wonder if somehow Lily's sister is tangled up in that mix somewhere too. They are all about the same age and it wouldn't be beyond the realms that Lily told her sister some vital info inadvertantly, or she saw something damning by accident that then entangled her in this web - even if she didn't want to be. She has some promise to Dumbledore so she must have a piece of this puzzle too, something to do with Dudley I think, because he remembered something really awful when he was being attacked by the Dementors from memory, so she might be keeping her end of the bargain for Dudleys sake rather than any other family allegiance. And whatever happened that was so awful for him to remember has to have something to do with magic, or Mrs. D would not bother protecting Harry, I think it was merely a way to keep Dudley safe. She detests magic but can't protect Dudders any other way perhaps.

And what about Grawp? anybody got any ideas where that is going?

And Dumbledores brother, I think he's going to be interesting to meet too. Lots of possibilities there.

And I agree with you Julie, that two way mirror that now lies at the bottom of Harry's trunk holds a secret. I also think that the fact that it is broken is pretty important too. Could that alter what the mirror can do? could the fragments of the mirror shards then be used to fragment something else to allow 'visual passage' to say... another 'plane'? like where ever Sirius is now? Its still a magical tool after all.... Yeah... that ones pretty out there I know.... :shock:

hehe....

had enough yet? :twisted:

~ Lisa ~

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Phoenix

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:52 pm

I've just seen the Order of the Phoenix.....

in Ron's words....

Bloody Brilliant :)

Even if you hadn't ever read the book, it'd be a great show. Course, the layers that you get from having read the book make it all the more interesting.
Anyone else seen it yet?

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Phoenix

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:34 pm

I've just seen the Order of the Phoenix.....
Doh! I want to go to!!!

I have to wait until Saturday-week though - I suppose I could sneak off by myself...but Della would kill me :)
Keith

Trip history:

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:57 pm

We have tickets for Sunday afternoon!

I finished reading book 6 last night and I realise I should have started my re-reading of all the books two weeks later than I did - now with 10 days until book 7 I will have to read at least 1 non HP book - breaking my continuity! Not fair!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”