Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Latest Harry Potter

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:43 pm

Bloody Brilliant
I don't know if I'd go that far......

I will be careful to not give anything away but I really think at least 50% of the book was missing. My husband is not a reader and lost track of the plot as did a number of other people i heard talking after the movie.

I really think that some important bits were cut. When they decided to put the Anne of Green Gables books on celluloid they made them mini series because otherwise there was no wy to get all the good bits, same goes for Stephin King books - they are two involved to fit well in 2.5 hours so the only really good adaptations have been mini series - The Stand and It. After book3 the HP novels are so complex that even 3 hours does not do them justice.

I still enjoyed the movie and will see it again at least once at the cinema! Maybe when the rest of my famiily goes to see The Simpsons Movie - now I bet they could fit that one into 20 minutes!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:33 pm

I don't know if I'd go that far......

I'm happy if I get entertained when I go to the movies, I was, so.... I was. :) I guess with something as epic as HP its a bit disappointing that so many subplots are just missing, but knowing them really embroiders the tale the movie tells for me.
I guess I'm easy pleased.
I really think at least 50% of the book was missing.
Yep, I agree with that. And I guess that makes it a lesser experience for the non-readers who see it.
After book3 the HP novels are so complex that even 3 hours does not do them justice.
Totally agree that a mini series would serve the epic nature of the story better. I'd love to see that happen. It does irk me to have so much left out. I wish they would do that, but I doubt that they will.

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:08 pm

I won't be able to get HP7 until Sunday morning - damn kids sport!

NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 pm

I won't be able to get HP7 until Sunday morning - damn kids sport!

NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!
Too right its not fair! Stand up for your rights, Sandie! Put your foot down, what sort of die-hard HP fan are you? Get out there, line up, cheer as they rip open the boxes, then rush the poor shop assistant and cashiers!!!!!

Ahhhhhh!!!! gggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Get out of my way!!!!!!

<Deep breath Keith - think calm thoughts>

Sorry, got carried away there with my training for Saturday morning :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:29 pm

Yep, that sucks. I work all weekend so this will be the first time I haven't been lined up so I could get that copy as early as possible and start devouring it.
I've made a deal with the girl I work with - she's going to let me disappear at 9.01 to buy that copy if I let her read it in her breaks.... :D
I won't be reading it yet anyway cos I can't find book 6 still and don't want to launch into 7 unprepared.

So NO SPOILERS ANYONE please.

I've got plan B all organised if I can't find it in my last ditch effort to find it after work tomorrow. I'm just going to borrow a copy, charge through it as fast as I can and then launch into 7 with 6 fresh in my head. Thats the plan... but I hate waiting for stuff and its going to be REAL TEMPTING to just take a sneak peek at 7.
I've promised myself not to read the last pages this time. I want that to be a surprise.

And to all those who are ready to read it in a couple of sittings a great big raspberry to you.......... and enjoy.... :D

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 pm

Ahhhhhh!!!! gggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Get out of my way!!!!!!

<Deep breath Keith - think calm thoughts>

Sorry, got carried away there with my training for Saturday morning :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

now thats funny....

Hmm... ( in my best impression of Prof. Trelawney) " The one with the power to read the book in one sitting approaches. Released as the seventh month dies and read by millions..... I'm seeing a cape, a wand and a steely resolve to burst through the throngs of those who think they care about HP more than you and snatching the first copy out of that box..... I'm seeing lost hours with a nose in a book and a triumphant 'I know the ending' glint in the eye'.....

The end is nigh...... :wink:

:lol:

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Now that was funny Lisa! I was even reading it the way Emma Thompson would have :)

Less than 12 hours now - bed soon, then Harry in the morning!! And the movie in the evening!

:D
Keith

Trip history:

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:10 pm

Its ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Mumis going to go to Big W for me in the morning - I AM SAVED!!!!!!!!!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:46 am

Lordy the day has finally arrived. The buzz around the world is palpable...:)

The elbows are ready,

the mind is willing

and the wallet is able.....

CHARGE................ :twisted:

Its ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Mumis going to go to Big W for me in the morning - I AM SAVED!!!!!!!!!

PHEW......... that was close.

What must be done, must be done. And along those lines, I've given up on finding my elusive copy of 6.

Plan 'C' swings into action .... buy book 6 AND book 7....
Problem solved.... :wink:

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:12 am

Lordy the day has finally arrived. The buzz around the world is palpable...:)
I've just got out of bed, had a shower, and drank my coffee.

I'm putting a few words down on here, as it is now 8:10am - when I'm finished typing, I'm off to the shops...

...the moment has arrived, see you on the flip side in a post-Harry world everyone.

And NO SPOILERS!!

Good luck with barging people out of the way, think I'll take my cricket bat :twisted:

Signing off.

Harry Harry Harry!!!
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:28 am

I have my copy and have begun reading - but I'd like to share with you an SMS I received from another friend of mine - and may it serve as a warning to all!!

"HAPPY READING. I JUST GOT HOME WITH MY HARRY & MY SILLY COW DAUGHTER OPENS THE BOOK @ THE BACK & READS OUT THE NAME OF THE LAST CHAPTER"

The inference here is that you do not want to read the chapter titles in advance!!! I've put a rubber band around the second half of the book just to avoid doing that - I suggest you all do something similar!

Have reading everyone :)
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:16 pm

Ok... Confession time.

Didn't make it past my tea break before I could resisit no longer.

I'm up to chapter 5 and plan to charge through as many as I can keep my eyes open for tonight.
Plan C went out the window when I rounded the corner of the shopping center where I was working today and there, away in the distance, sat that hallowed stack of the last words of Harry glowing and calling my name. Naturally, I answered the call and strode confidently up to the unattended stack ( bar the 'too-cheap-to-buy-a-copy-reading-the-last-page bloke) and felt the magic surge through the cover of the book into my eager hands....

ok... little dramatic, but I then all but sprinted back to work and launched into the first page of what was undoubtedly going to be a heck of a ride.
I then traded "which chapter are you up to?" and "OMG " moments with the girl I was working with for the rest of the day. We kept sneaking out the back to read an extra page here or there. :)

my first thought though was..... " really? its that small?"
Lets hope that size doesn't matter in this instance. :twisted:

and there is no way .... NO WAY.... I will read the last chapter before I get to it....
But on that score... the jerks at MixxFM ( which we can't avoid listening to at work) kept reading the last paragraph on air all day..... :evil: :evil:
Highly unimpressed.
Mish and I kept putting our hands over our ears and doing the "La La La" thing so we couldn't hear it! Seriously.... :oops:
I don't want anything to ruin the end.

Ok... Harry beckons.... :)

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:50 am

Ok... Confession time.

Didn't make it past my tea break before I could resisit no longer.

I'm up to chapter 5 and plan to charge through as many as I can keep my eyes open for tonight.
That's where I finished my day one - I didn't expect to get that far, but there were too many "Oh gawd..." moments to put it down :)
and felt the magic surge through the cover of the book into my eager hands....
Nope - not too dramatic at all. I was in line with about 500+ people at Big-W Penrith. I got there at 8:30 and was much closer to the front than last time when I got there at 8:45. There were about 70 in front of me. We were all chatting excitedly to each other, pretty quickly, the line stretched past me, turned the corner to the back of the shop, then turned the corner again out of sight! The funny thing was the only kids I saw were a couple with their parents immediately behind me, but the kids weren't interested in the book, it was mum who was buying it! No other kids were in sight - amazing. Saw a few people wearing Disney jumpers etc, but I couldn't talk to them without losing my place - I was on a mission.

The store kept counting down the minutes and I was sending Della SMSs on the situation. Then - at about 8:58 they put the price up of $25.92 - pretty good I thought. And at exactly 9:01, the line began to move and I caught my first glimpse of the book coming out of the boxes - OMG, it is real! The line was very orderly and very quick, I was out of the shop by about 9:03 - not kidding, straight through the checkout - Big-W had everyone there working, they were fabulous (well done Big-W Penrith!!).

I grasped my book, and as Lisa said, the words were callng me - I knew in my hand I had the answers to everything! But I had other stuff to do before I could go home, I had to put it aside! Eventually I did get home and went straight out the backyard, ignoring my dad who was laughing at me :)

Throughout the day I received SMSs from various Harry fans, asking me whether I got the book, :roll: how far I was in, what did I think etc etc. It was a weird day!
the jerks at MixxFM ( which we can't avoid listening to at work) kept reading the last paragraph on air all day..... :evil: :evil:
Their radio station deserves a complete boycott...that is just mean, uncalled for, cruel, juvenile, and shows no respect to all those listeners. Change stations!

Now on another subject, I went and saw Order of the Phoenix last night and...

LOVED IT!!! I mean, Della and I came out of there thinking it was the best HP film of all. Yes, they missed pieces, but that was to be expected, but what was in there was fabulous, comprehensible, entertaining, dramatic, fun - it had everything going for it. Absolutely go and see it if you haven't already. We liked it so much, we are going to see it again at the Imax in Sydney on the weekend after next.
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:34 am

We saw the movie yesterday and did enjoy it. It had plenty of action and intrigue. Having never read a book (yet) I did understand what was going on and got the gist of the story, however I did feel it was disjointed and it did seem to race through the plot. My youngest didn't understand it at all, but the eldest who has read the books (so much the words are wearing out on the pages) felt it captured the story OK and yes she too said it missed about half the book. I'll give it 3 petronas out of 5.

We bought the book on Saturday and she's not allowed to read it until she finishes her English novel (which she plans to do by Wednesday - when she gets the book on her birthday). We wandered into Big W Narrellan at around 2pm, plenty of stock left, good price, no crowds, all quite civilised really! :P
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:43 pm

The problem for me with the movie was a number of things I had really been looking forward to seeing were missing: St Mungos, more of what happened in 12 Grimwauld Place, the whole young love angst just to name a few.

I am about a third of the way through the book and it is clear that younger readers may have some problems with reading it. The language is very complex. I know my 11 year old who reads at least 2 books a week would struggle with it and she is a very confident reader. LUCKILY I AM NOT A YOUNGER READER AND I AM LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”