Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Latest Harry Potter

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Latest Harry Potter

Postby calisota » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Hey James, you've been a bit quiet lately so I thought I'd ask you exactly what you were doing for the launch of the new Harry Potter.

Did you hear that a bookstore in Canada has already sold some copies (accidently :wink: ) and is now offering bookplates signed by JK Rowling if they bring them back and promise not to tell anyone whats' in the book?

I've got to admit to being a bit of a fan myself. I resisted for quite a while but finally someone told me that I should at least read the first one and then I was hooked. A pretty good read even for someone of my age. :D

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:36 pm

James must be off re-reading his collection!

I've been re-reading book 5 all this week and will be up early tomorrow morning and lining up at Big-W in Penrith. I was there last time and it was a great atmosphere.

Can't wait - very excited!

:D

KeithS

James
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby James » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:35 am

Hey guys, I know that I haven't been on in like month, but I've been really busy. I had like 5 assignments due on the last couple of days of school, and I have been re-reading the books. I am a slow reader so it's taken a while. I also watched the movies again, and I am reading the 6th one right now, as the pages load up. I did hear about that incident in Canada, but if it were me I would've kept it. I watched about an hour of Saturday Disney, then me, my twin brother, and my dad went to Max Ells at Centro Roselands. Everyone was dressed up as the characters, and I loved it all. The best part was that we got the book a little bit early, because they weren't very strict about opening it at exactly 9:01am. They were also giving away donuts. I am going to a sleepover party for the rest of the day with my brother and my friends, reading the book, watching movies and stuff like that. I can't wait! Hope that you enjoy the book Keith, and if you're getting a copy of it Greg, enjoy as much as we are!
-James
Saturday Disney Rocks!
I'm 13 and proud of it!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:40 pm

James, this may sound a bit odd but can you write out the opening line out of the book for me?

Greg

James
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby James » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:27 pm

Of course Greg-
It was nearing midnight and the Prime Minister was sitting alone in his office, reading a long memo that was slipping through his brain without leaving the slightest trace of meaning behind.
Can I ask what for exactly?
-James
Saturday Disney Rocks!
I'm 13 and proud of it!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:58 pm

Can I ask what for exactly?-James

There was a (supposed) copy of the book floating around the net a few days ago and out of curiosity I downloaded it. Someone's gone to a lot of trouble to write a fairly long version of what they thought should happen because the first line is nothing like the one you quoted. I'm going out tomorrow to buy a copy of the book and I'll have to read this fake version after it to see if it's any good.

So what's it like so far (without giving anything away)?

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:58 pm

I went out this morning and lined up at Big-W in Penrith.

I got there around 8:40, and was about 35 in the queue. Everyone was chatting to each other and we were having a great time. Staff were taking photos of the queue as it grew in length. By about 8:50, I couldn't see the end of the line as it bent around the corner somewhere back where the towels and sheets are kept in the shop :)

The I have no idea how far back it must have been by 9:01.

At 9:00, we could hear the staff cutting open the boxes (I couldn't see them from where I stood). Then at exactly 9:01 - a huge cheer went up as the staff handed out the books.

Then the mad rush for the checkout! I got out pretty quickly and drove home, but I haven't been able to touch the book. As soon as I got home, I had to prepare stuff for the Down Under Disneyana club meeting, and that took a couple of hours. I just got home from that (11:55pm) so I'm about to go to bed - but tomorrow is looking like a Harry day for me :D

KeithS

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:38 am

I wonder what the odds are of there being any left if I wander over to the shops this afternoon. I'm in the middle of a Tom Clancy at the moment so I've got a while before I'm able to read it anyway so there's probably no rush.

Do you think it would be worthwhile reading the last one again before this one?

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:14 pm

Hey Greg - you definitely will not have any problems picking up a copy. I was looking around the City stores this afternoon - and they all had thousands of copies!

Lots of different prices too.

$34.95 at Angus and Robertsons
$29.99 at Borders and Dymocks
$27.00 at Kmarts
$22.45 at Big-W

As for whether it is worth reading book 5 again - I think so. I originally read book 5 really quickly (so exciting) and am now re-reading it, and there is so much that I had forgotten. I'm glad I re-read it :)

KeithS

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:33 pm

An amazing range of prices. I found something similar when the original Star Wars trilogy was released on DVD recently. I haven't been tempted to rush out and buy a copy yet, I'm in the middle of reading something else, but I did look at the price in David Jones yesterday and it was a lot more than Big-W.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Wow, I guess it is time to "bump" this thread back to the top considering that Book 7 is now on the way...not that I'm counting down or anything, but it is only 175 sleeps :)

I'll be back at Big-W in Penrith to pick up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on July 21 - anyone want to meet up? :) Not sure about the title but I'm really looking forward to see how this all ends. I can only think that this book will be considerably different given the events at the end of book 6.

Hey, this is my 500th message on here (okay, which one of you just yelled "Get a Life!")
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:01 am

Bring on July 21 :D it can't come soon enough for me...

I've got every manner of theory running around in my head and I want to know how close I am..... in particular, the significance of the title......

I've read and re-read the series countless times and when I find which moving box book 6 is in, :roll: I'll be doing a 'refresher' before the release of the last one.

I'm a big fan.... can you tell? :lol:

when the last book came out my sister very inconveniently decided to have her engagement party on that day - I managed to sneek in a few chapters regardless.

So will you wear the cape and wand to Big W Keith? :shock:

~ Lisa ~

and you beat me to the french signature :evil:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:43 pm

I'm looking forward to getting this book, I just hope the new bub will be kind enough to let me read it all on the first day of release :)

Penrith is a bit far for me Keith, I'll be at Big W Macarthur Square :)

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:05 pm

For your sake Mel, then I hope it doesn't rain. They didn't fare too well yesterday (Sunday) - it was closed due to flooding when we were there!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:32 pm

and you beat me to the french signature :evil:
It seemed appropriate for this week (us hopeless romantics!)
So will you wear the cape and wand to Big W Keith?
How did you know about my cape and wand?? :)
it was closed due to flooding
Talk about a wet weekend - I was at the cricket and almost drowned!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”