Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Harry Potter - Orlando

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Harry Potter - Orlando

Postby KeithS » Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 pm

The long awaited press release for the expansion of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has just been released!

We were watching the construction when we were over there in March and it is good to know exactly what they are building. Here is the press release and the concept art!

THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES:
THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER – DIAGON ALLEY
IS COMING TO UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT

‘London’ and Diagon Alley Will Come to Life at Universal Orlando in 2014
World’s First Centrally Themed, Multi-Park Experience

(May 8, 2013) Building on the global phenomenon that is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Orlando Resort and Warner Bros. Entertainment today announced an expansion of historic proportion with the entirely new themed environment,

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley.

Scheduled to open in 2014, the world’s first centrally themed, multi-park experience expands The Wizarding World of Harry Potter across both Universal Orlando theme parks and allows Universal’s creative team to bring an unparalleled vision to this unique project. The new area will bring to life some of the experiences and places found in and around London in the Harry Potter books and films, offering brand-new adventures for fans and theme park guests from around the world.

Diagon Alley and ‘London’ will be located within the Universal Studios Florida theme park, which is adjacent to Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park, where guests now experience Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. The new area within Universal Studios will be just as expansive, immersive and authentic as the existing themed environment.

And – just like in the books and films – guests will be able to travel between ‘London’ and Hogsmeade aboard the Hogwarts Express.

Work on the new area is already underway. When complete, it will feature shops, a restaurant and an innovative, marquee attraction based on Gringotts bank – all directly inspired by the fiction and films.

More details on The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will be released over time.

To bring Diagon Alley and ‘London’ to life, Universal’s creative team is working closely with Warner Bros. and the production design team from the Harry Potter films – just as it did for Hogwarts and Hogsmeade.

"I'm so pleased that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has proved so popular to date, and I'm sure that the attention to detail in creating the new Diagon Alley area will make this an even better experience," said J.K. Rowling.

“We are continuing the journey and adding an entirely new level of adventure,” said Tom Williams, Chairman of Universal Parks & Resorts. “And we are bringing the same drive, commitment, enthusiasm and innovation to this project as we did to the first.”

“We are thrilled to offer the legions of fans the opportunity to embark on this new journey and experience Diagon Alley as it was brought to life in the books and films,” said Brad Globe, president, Warner Bros. Consumer Products.

“Our vision is to create two amazing theme park experiences that combine into one, complete, magical journey,” said Alice Norsworthy, executive vice president, marketing and sales for Universal Orlando Resort.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade opened at Universal’s Islands of Adventure in June 2010 as a fully immersive Harry Potter themed environment - bringing to life the bestselling books by J.K. Rowling and the blockbuster feature films from Warner Bros. Since that time, it has become a global phenomenon, entertaining millions of people from around the world.

Visitors to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter are swept into the adventures of Harry Potter. They can tour Hogwarts castle, shop in Hogsmeade and dine at the Three Broomsticks. They can soar above Hogwarts with Harry, be chosen by a wand at Ollivanders, sample Butterbeer and much more.

So what do you think? What can you see? I like the look of the Knight Bus out the front, and Kings Cross Station - can't wait to catch the train from Platform 9 3/4 over to Hogsmeade! This will definitely be worth checking out in a few years time.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Harry Potter - Orlando

Postby mushu mama » Fri May 10, 2013 8:12 am

Looks FABULOUS !!!!

Can't wait to see both areas one day....
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh crap! Now I have to go back sometime.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat May 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Oh crap! Now I have to go back sometime.
It makes it very hard to see the rest of he world when the the theme parks keep evolving and expanding!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun May 12, 2013 10:50 am

I'm interested to know how they intend to run the Hogwarts Express between Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. They are in the process of building the elevated track, but it goes through a back stage area between workshops and sound stages - it doesn't really look like rural England/Scotland! I was wondering if they'll just have LCD windows on the train which project your journey, or whether they will build a box/tunnel around the tracks to project your journey outside the windows?
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon May 13, 2013 9:28 am

Was thinking about that too Keith. I was wondering if they might do the tunnel as well, a little like the King Kong tunnel ride through at Universal in Hollywood?
the depth of the landscape was quite believable and more so with 3D glasses.

Can't wait... this announcement has sent me on a HP-athon and I'm working my way through the movies again and wondering which aspects will be brought to life.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 15, 2013 8:41 am

Micechat has today posted a really good 'chopper view' of the progress of the new building going on for the new HP areas. Lots of speculation about which stores and attractions will be involved. And it does sound like the Hogwarts Express will be amazing.

REALLY excited to see this one day.... -/ -/

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 am

I haven't done the new version of King Kong at Universal LA - I didn't realise it was 3D but that sounds like the perfect solution to the Hogwarts Express issue.

I'm with you, I'm excited by this project and will definitely head back to Universal Orlando once it is open!
Keith

Trip history:

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 am

The new King Kong is amazing. I was thinking the other day I dont know why Disney dont use it for one of their new properties - maybe the Avatar or something to do with Star Wars. It only takes up a limited space unlike a coaster but is huge in the wow factor

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu May 30, 2013 11:12 am

Ohhh.... using this technology with the new Avatar land would be amazing.... I'm seeing flying on those birds or perhaps having the little spirit thingies floating around ...

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”