Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Ipad

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Ipad

Postby KeithS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Awesome - I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!

I was interested in buying one of the new Kindle Touches that were unveiled in the US this morning, but have just discovered that they are for US distribution only. I guess they are dumping all the older style ones on the foreign markets (ie. Big-W!) and the new ones won't become available for sale here until the old ones are all gone...
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:52 am

I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas and I am so excited!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if its a crappy one dumped on the Australian market!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:02 pm

I don't care if its a crappy one dumped on the Australian market!
The old one's not crappy - it's brilliant! I'll get that version too!
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:26 pm

I am in love with my iPad. When I can sneak a go on it (the kids have been limited to 15 mins at a time - half hour per day and I don't want to be mean and play with it in front of them!) that is. I love the e-reader, the apps - everything. I don't have a smart phone so it's my first time using the touch button, slidey business and I'm totally hooked!

BTW, I'm with Amaysim for the iPad and so far so good :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:14 am

Vodafone started a contract deal last Wednesday which included the iPad plus download. The costs vary according to what size iPad you got and whether it is 12 months or 24. I got 64GB ipad, no up front costs, $55 a month with 1.5GB 3G download for 24 mths. I think it is a good deal for me as I will use wifi at home and at work.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this thread because I am now thinking about what little travel sized laptop/iPad I want to get.

I love my iPhone so an iPad isn't out of the question, but how does it go putting photos from a camera on it? do they have a USB port so I can hook up an ext. HD ?
I'm asking here because I quite literally don't have time to browse type of shop. I commando shop now.

or do you think I'd be better off with a little laptop instead? and if so, what is good for lots of photos ( with an ext.
HD ) and doing blogs updates etc?

I'll be taking my iPhone so I'm not worried about apps and stuff, I'll have access to them anyway.

thanks, any opinions gladly taken on board.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:49 pm

I was the recipient of an iPad for christmas, and I now intend to take it away with us and leave the laptop at home. It's smaller, lighter, easier to handle and pack, and with 32gb capacity, will more than hold all the photos we take. There is an adaptor pack available called funnily enough a digital camera adaptor pack, which I will be buying and it costs around $35 and it comes with both a SD card reader and a USB connection. So downloading photos will be a snap. I'll be buying it soon and will report back, unless someone already has and used it and can tell us both.

See this link http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC531 ... Tc0MjU4NjE

This would also be handy as well. Instant power adaptor no matter where you are http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB974 ... MTY1NDEwMQ
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 pm

thats great info thanks ajp... I am really torn whether to buy an iPad or a mini laptop... but if the whole mega quantity photo thing is doable, then its definitely a possibility.

Keen to know how you find it.

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:51 pm

AAAHHHH!!!!!

Android, people, android! 8)

Apple = :evil:

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Greg hello... Is this what it takes to hear from you, start talking tablets?

I love my iPad and with iCloud I can automatically transfer everything from any igadget

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Actually, after playing with a friends iPad last night, I have made at least one decision.

I'll be getting a little laptop, as much as I LOVE the iPad, it just is not going to do what I want it to do on the go.
If I were only going to take photos to just upload or keep and look at later, then I guess an iPad would be amazing, but because I want to store the raw image at its highest resolution and lots of them, edit it on the laptop without changing the size or having to use an app to do so, then I am going to have to have a laptop that I can use the programs I am happy using for scrapbooking later which is the major concern...

next decision... which one?

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 am

I'll be getting a little laptop, as much as I LOVE the iPad, it just is not going to do what I want it to do on the go.
Excellent move Lisa!

For all the flashiness of the tablet, they are quite restricted with what they do. I have an Android tablet at home and it is brilliant fun, but it does not replace a computer in any sense.

We bought an recent model ASUS netbook earlier this year for just $250 during a Harvey Norman sale (try and buy an iPad for that much!) and it is a fully functioning dual-core PC running Windows 7 and has wifi. We've also installed Office onto it and it runs great, we couldn't be happier with it. It has multiple USB ports for plugging stuff in (there are none on the iPad) and an SD card slot for camera chips (again, none on the iPad). So it is really handy for taking overseas on holidays. The video playback is terrific, so you can watch movies on it while on a plane, and the battery life is still about ten hours (we used it all the way home on the flight from Hong Kong to type our journal and other stuff).

Yes - I like tablets and they have their uses, but they do lack a lot of functionality that a netbook provides.
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:14 am

yep Keith, I need something that can do all of the above.
And that is ballpark figure for what I want to spend... give or take $100.... cos I am also buying a new camera and I'd rather spend the money on that.

I've got plenty of time, so will decide which one and then watch the specials for something that goes close.

Thanks everyone for your advice... -/

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Yeah I agree that a tablet (lets open this up to more than just ipads) is more of a consumption device than a creation one but if you are really serious about creation then I would still recommend a desktop over a laptop.

I now have the perfect combination of a desktop with a nice big screen in my room to create the spreadsheets and other documents I need and the tablet to actually use them.

I have the ASUS transformer and it is a great tablet that has hdmi and sdcard, I can surf the net, watch movies, read books, view and create office docs and hundreds of other things that I didn't even know I wanted to do until I saw that there was an app for it.

The biggest issue I have with it as a tablet is having to use an on-screen keyboard but it came with a keyboard dock that, when the tablet part is docked, makes it look and act just like a laptop. The dock also gives it multiple usb ports and increases the battery life by something like 8 - 12 hours. I can transfer photos directly to it and there are plenty of photo apps out there to manipulate them. Using an app is no different than having to find, download and install software on a laptop, in fact app/software are becoming interchangeable.

For me, one the greatest things about the tablet is that it is so much lighter and more convenient to carry around than my laptop and since I have all the documents I want access to in the Cloud I just have to hit the button, the tablet is instantly on (no bootup time or closedown time just to check one thing) and I can access all the volunteer details, timetables, calendars etc.

I have spent a lot of time traveling with laptops of various sizes and now with my tablet and I could not be paid enough money to go back to having to carry around a laptop. Reading books and magazines is so much better when you can hold it in one hand and turn it to portrait so that magazines, especially, look "proper". That ability to turn on and off instantly is fantastic. What do you do when the flight attendant wants to put food on your tray? I just hit the button and slip the tablet into the magazine pouch thing, no waiting for a laptop to close down, or I prop it up on the tray and keep watching/reading/listening while I eat.

Okay...rant over. :roll:

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:30 pm

ok, now you're confusing me... I SHOULD be buying a tablet but not an iPad? :shock:

keeping in mind that....
* firstly... I sleep on the plane which actually quite annoys me cos I miss all the good movies.... secondly, I prefer the feel of paper than swiping glass to turn the page and thirdly I doubt it'll be in my price range anyway.

frankly.... still leaning towards a tiny laptop... :roll:

unless, someone convinces me that my photos are going to be as malleable in a scrapbooking sense when I get home. I don't want them to be all grainy when I go to blow them up, or alter them in a multitude of ways because they are 'auto' altered to fit onto the tablet. But if they're just passing through it onto an extHD then I guess its a possibility... I'm also yet to be convinced that any app is up to the accuracy I expect when I alter my photos. I have been playing with apps on my iPhone for a long time now, and not one of them goes close to doing everything I expect and with the detail I expect... they're just fine for facebook/uploading online but not really what I would use to scrapbook unless I was only using a half sized photo. Any bigger and it loses its crispness of the detail.

thoughts?

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”