Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Sport

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Sport

Postby Mel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Do you watch it? Play it? What do you like?

I love my AFL. Grew up watching VFL matches on tele on Saturday afternoon as my dad played Aussie Rules when he was younger. No, nobody in my family ever lived in Melbourne, it's just what he liked best. I'm a Swans member and have been for years. I go with my folks to the games since Craig isn't really into it. I played in the Sydney Women's AFL competition in the first few years it was up and running, but had to give up when a rough tackle made my herniated disc even worse.

Craig is a Rugby League fan - the Tigers are his team. He took the two older boys to a trial match a few weeks ago and Jared loved it, Ben not so much.

We both watch the A-League - Sydney FC are our team. Craig also follows Newcastle in the EPL and plays in the local competition here. I use to play, but gave up when I started having babies :)

I've played netball since I was four, but now only play indoor. I use to coach and umpire in my younger days as well.

As for the boys, they like watching sport on TV. Jared went to all Swans games with me in his first year and use to sit on my lap quite happily watching. He now loves to sit with Craig and watch soccer games on TV and gets right into them. Ben doesn't have the patience to watch anything for long. They both love kicking the soccer ball around and Jared has taught himself how to handball (I swear I had nothing to do with it!!!! :lol: )

So, sport is pretty huge in our lives, as you can tell :) Ben will play soccer next year and Jared will be gutted that he will be too little to play. As the NRL season starts tonight, I thought it was a good question to ask. The Swans and Disney were my two major obsessions in my early twenties when I had a lot more time and disposable income!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Re: Sport

Postby BrizMarc » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:11 pm

I am a mad keen Soccer fan and support Arsenal in the EPL and Brisbane Roar in the A-League, I love Baseball and follow the Angels in the MLB. I also love all forms of motorsport too.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:15 pm

As 2 extremely learned and wise gentlemen say "too much sport is barely enough!". League is the game, Parramatta are the team! Did you're husband go to the trial at Campbelltown Mel? We went to that one. I am one of the excited ones that is so glad it starts again tonight! My following of the Eels unfortunately borders on obsession, which at times can be unhealthy. :D

Will watch AFL, and follow it as a sports fan and that's it. If I was to pick a team, Swans are them. I have been to a couple of games, but that's as far as it goes. However, I could tell you who was in the comp, who the form team is etc, but I am a sports fan :lol: .

Love watching NFL. I was disappointed when I got a job when I couldn't watch the games live :lol: . I've now decided who I am following and that is the Seahawks of Seattle. Em bought me their jumper so that's good enough for me.

Used to play cricket, played for nearly 20 years before bad shoulders and the lack of will to stand in 40 degree heat got in the way. I now play golf not well or regularly enough, but I still play something. I also started and run a social golf club.

Motorsport is my other passion (which is probably obvious). Will watch anything with 2 or 4 wheels when I can and love to follow the V8s, F1, NASCAR specifically.

My other involvement in sport is netball. No don't play, but have had a crack at it on the odd occasion. I'm the president of our club, I coach a club team, and also coach (assist/co-coach) a representative team. My wife coaches and is the club registrar, my eldest daughter coaches, plays and is a Nat C umpire, my youngest daughter coaches, plays, umpires and almost made reps. My sister coaches, used to play reps and State League, nearly made state team, and was a Nat B umpire. So as you can see, a little difficult to avoid the game. From February to July our life disappears and is consumed with netball. However the plan is to stop in about 3 years time.

Good topic Mel. Love sport, any and all sport. Will watch anything, just about.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Sport :shock: not familiar with the term myself. I think that's what my husband watches on TV and swears at regularly (well when the Sharks are playing) and I think it is quite sporting of the family to put up with his obsessions. I do like golf - gets him out of the house!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:20 am

Nice one Mel.

I have to admit I don't have much sporting prowess myself (make that none at all...) however I do watch my fill on the television.

Motorsport is my one passion. I have watched just about every Bathurst with my dad since 1977. I haven't missed an F1 or Indycar race since 1987 (except a couple when I've been travelling), I watch all Nascars and MotoGPs each week as well. Some weekends, I have to tape four or five events and I'm still watching them on the Wednesday! I'm a tragic :)

I love watching rugby league too - Penrith Panthers are my team. There is nothing quite like the feel of seeing your team win a premiership - 2003 was the last time for us.

I also watch the EPL - but limit myself usually to the highlights show on Monday nights - just can't fit in full games with all the motorsport I watch. I'm with Craig - I follow Newcastle United in the EPL, having come from there originally. I also love the World Cup.

I'm an Olympics nut too - both summer and winter games. Never watch those sports any other time, but come Olympic time, I'm glued to the telly.

Cricket - I love all forms of the game. It just fascinates me, however I am concerned about the possibility that gambling is beginning to have an adverse effect on the games...

So that's it for me!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 am

There's a sport other than rugby union? My eye have been opened. :D

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 am

Yes Greg there is. And also, the All Blacks have to play an opposition, so there are more team that play rugby too.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:27 am

Yes Greg there is. And also, the All Blacks have to play an opposition, so there are more team that play rugby too.
I knew there were other teams...someone has to be cannon fodder. :twisted:

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:47 am

There's a sport other than rugby union? My eye have been opened. :D
What's rugby union?
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:30 pm

What's rugby union?
Better look into it before you get to heaven because it's the sport they play there.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Better look into it before you get to heaven because it's the sport they play there.
Hmpf - sounds like a boring place to go then. Maybe I'll end up downstairs to where the car racing (with extra fire and brimstone and other pollutants) will surely be :D
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:18 pm

The only downside to me heading to Laos is that I will be missing another Rugby World Cup. I just hope that through the miracle that is the internet I can find some streaming feeds.

I can still remember sitting alone in the crew bar of the cruise ship, at some ungodly hour of the morning, somewhere in the Caribbean, reading a scrolling text feed of the game where we got knocked out by the %*&% French.

Greg

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Sharks won the local derby so Craig has cancelled this weeks therapy session

Tigger71
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Tigger71 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 am

Personally I love tennis and swimming. Both have been 'all my life' type sports however babies and business have kept me a bit distant...

Now for watching I'll admit to being a huge baseball fan (off to watch the Tampa Rays in Sept) and I also take my beloved Qld's side in the state of origin rugby league. Living in Perth with AFL taking all the limelight I'm sure not winning any friends for my choices...
Past Disney vacations...

DLR - 1995, 1998, 2002, 2015, 2016
DLP - 1998, 2013
WDW - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2017
TDR - 2010, June 2012
HKD - 2010, Oct 2012, 2015
DCL - 2013,2015
Aulani - 2015
SDR - 2017

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri May 30, 2014 11:21 am

My following of the Eels unfortunately borders on obsession, which at times can be unhealthy. :D
Here is an old thread but a perfect quote ahead of the big game tonight Anthony - Panthers vs Eels. Not long ago that this would have been a nothing game, but this year, it is a near top of the table clash. Bring it on!

And Go Panthers!!!! :D
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź