Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Commonwealth Games in India

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Commonwealth Games in India

Postby mushu mama » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Just thought I'd throw this out there seeing as my FB friends are buzzing about this at the moment - and some of the responses have really surprised me.

Given the apparent unpreparedness, health issues and safety concerns that are being reported on a daily basis so close out from the games, would you attend these games in India?

For myself, I'm not sure I'd feel safe enough, and I am a HUGE fan of these big ticket sporting events... I have a big chunk of them on my bucket list that I'm yet to get to... but this one, I'd give a bit of a miss I think. I went to the Comm Games in Melbourne and that was AWESOME.

Just being nosey, is all...

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Commonwealth Games in India

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:10 pm

You wouldn't find me anywhere near there...

I'm a big fan of large sports events, however I would not risk being exposed in a large crowd in India at the moment - the security situation there is fairly precarious. I would have had less fear going to the World Cup in South Africa (a country known for its rampant crime) than going to the Commonwealth Games.

Who knows, they may pull off these games and it'll be great, but I think this whole event has a strange pall over it - not just from the security side, but the issues with the venues, the corruption claims, the sanitation and dengue fever outbreak and the flooding - it isn't painting a great tourism picture!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:32 pm

If anyone has a ticket and isn't going then I'll take it.

To be honest...all the "issues" are just India on a normal day. It certainly doesn't look any worse than some of the places I've been, but of course I am a bit strange in that regard. 8)

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:25 am

The committee that chose India would have known all these things when choosing and I guess developing countries should have the opportunity to make money from holding the games as much as the more developed countries with their sanitised bathrooms. But the security issues are a great concern, they have painted a great big red target on themselves. I'll watch from home thanks - you'll see more anyway!

I remember Glenda went to the Malaysian games and rang me from poolside while we were watching from home - unreal!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Are you kidding? I wouldn't go near the place

sandie

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:04 pm

I wouldn't be going and if I had a teenage athlete I would be trying very hard to make sure they wouldn't go either.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby BrizMarc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 pm

I wouldnt be going. India shouldnt have gotten the games in the first place. It was always going to be shambles.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm still looking for any unwanted tickets...

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:34 pm

No interest in India anyway. I agree with Marc. Shouldn't have been there. This was a political decision to rival that farcical decision to have Olympics in China.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:42 am

I'd love to visit India one day, but not while it is such a magnet for attention. I am very worried that these elite athletes are opening themselves up to diseases that could end their careers, or worse, an incident that might end their lives. I will be watching but holding my breath for a safe games and return of all the athletes and spectators alike. Perhaps the woefully underfunded Comm Games Committee should have chose somewhere where more close monitoring was not a financial burden and last minute disasters were not such a high probability. It''ll be interesting, thats for sure.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:18 pm

My sister-in-law went earlier this year and had no problems, although she and her friend were the only ones in the group that didn't get sick. But some of us get sick in countries that claim to be super-powers so that doesn't hold much weight with me.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”