Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Bankstown

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Bankstown

Postby mushu mama » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Ok, my son arrived in Sydney today to take part in an accelerated training program with Mercedes. People keep telling me where his work arranged for him to stay is a really dangerous part of Sydney so I though, hmmm, I don't know anything about Sydney but hey, I know people in Sydney.... I'll ask them.

so... thoughts on Bankstown?

A cabby told him not to set foot outside the motel at night time and that got me worried about what might happen in the daytime if he goes to the local shops for supplies.

Any and all comments/advice will be gratefully received. Keeping in mind the mother is prone to worrying.

Lisa. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Bankstown

Postby ajp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:00 am

Lisa, it is true that Bankstown is not the best place to be, but it is not murder county with something happening every 5 minutes either. It is true that if he stays around the hotel at night that would be safer, particularly if he goes out with a stunned look on his face. But he will be OK as long as he's sensible. As long as he doesn't stray from the main spots and also doesn't venture into areas where large groups of younguns are hanging out, like shopping centre carparks and maybe even parks and monuments as well. Stick to the eating places and well lit streets and all will be good. Daytime he will be fine as well.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks ajp...

I did'nt think Bankstown was murder capital, but it didn't help that his boss would greet him daily with such taunts... ( it baffles me what mechanics think is funny :roll: )

He'd planned to stay at the hotel at night anyway, and his daytime will be completely taken up with classes so I'm sure he'll be fine. Trouble is, sensible is not his strong suit since he turned 18... he ended up in hospital on a drip due to his 'not-sensible-ness' a week ago, so I am prone to worry.

thanks again...

Lisa. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:04 am

Lisa, I grew up about five minutes from Bankstown and that was our local shopping centre/cinema. I never had any problem, just didn't put myself in any dangerous situations. We use to hang out at the movies before and after without any dramas, but that was 15-17 years ago and I'm female so I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't think it's degenerated that much in that time. If he's going to be busy all day and stay at the hotel at night, he should be fine. I would suggest that that he'd even be able to venture out if he stays in well-populated areas :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks Mel,

I appreciate the info... I wasn't meaning to offend anyone about the place, I just kept hearing bad things and knowing what a magnet Zach is for drama, its been worrying me ever since I learned he was to go interstate for tuition. I'm sure as he gets to know the others there for the same program, they'll venture out to see a bit of a city.

ta

Lisa :)

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:50 am

I'm not offended at all :)

How's he going?
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:20 pm

He's having a ball... He LOVES Sydney. :) The classes are 'awsome' and the chef at the hotel is apparently a 'legend'...cars and food are his first loves so all good so far. He has to come back to Sydney every two or three months for the duration of his apprenticehip on top of doing the usual Tafe modules... the whispers are that its where they earmark potential youngun's for their racing program and potential employees for OS placements. There are only 8 in the group from around Australia.
When asked what his other passions were his answer was something like ' Nup... thats it... its all about the cars'. :roll:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 pm

He could check out the sports club where a few of us sometimes meet for dinner before meetings. Great theming!
I shop very occassionally in bankstown and taught at the TAFE for years and never experienced any problems.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:13 pm

The are taken to the Golf Club (?) across the road from where the tuition is every day for lunch and loves the food there. He has to study every night as they are being tested so I imagine that doesn't leave much time for even the TV by the sounds of it. He's been buying snacks at the Aldi up the road so he's finding his way around without too much drama. :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm quite sure when he turned 18 the 'sensible' part of his brain was erased. :?

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”