Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Anyone else seen this movie?
We went to see it tonight ....... What an awesome piece of cinema.... got totally lost in that world and even after just under 3 hours really really didn't want it to end.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Re: AVATAR

Postby BrizMarc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 am

something has just made me not want to see it. I will oneday

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:50 am

How come you don't want to see it? surely not the 'just under 3 hours' bit? we seriously didn't even feel the time go... I'd have happily sat there another hour at least.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:46 am

Anyone else seen this movie?
It is quite a spectacle isn't it? I'm glad someone else has finally seen it around here - I've been dying to discuss it! I've got some thoughts on it that I'll share when I get home tonight.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby BrizMarc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm

How come you don't want to see it? surely not the 'just under 3 hours' bit? we seriously didn't even feel the time go... I'd have happily sat there another hour at least.

Lisa. */
Its not i dont want to, I just havent been in any rush too. I probably should I guess.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Here there be SPOILERs - proceed at your own risk...

Okay - that's scared them off.

All I wanted to say about this awesome movie is that it is really Pocahontas set in space!

In Pocahontas, a group of men came to the New World (America) in search of a valuable mineral (gold). Among them was John Smith the military man who was to help protect the colony from the indigenous population. The indigenous population were at one with nature. But when John Smith met a native girl (Pocahontas) - who was already betrothed to another (Kokocum) - Smith began to see this new world from her perspective and ultimately sided with her side in the fight against the invaders.

In Avatar, a group of men came to the New World (Pandora) in search of a valuable mineral (unobtainium). Among them was Jake Sully the military man who was to help protect the colony from the indigenous population. The indigenous population were at one with nature. But when Jake Sully met a native girl (Neytiri) - who was already betrothed to another (Tsu'Tey) - Sully began to see this new world from her perspective and ultimately sided with her side in the fight against the invaders.

There are plenty of other story points throughout the movie that follow the Pocahontas path.

This isn't a criticism of Avatar - I think Avatar is one of the most spectacular movies ever made! Everyone should see it in 3D and be immersed in the world of Pandora. I just don't think that the story is that original.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:37 am

first off.... LOL to the new avatar of yours brizmarc.... took me almost a full minute to figure out it was your avatar and not a nasty little bug trapped in my laptop ( Doh!)

Possible spoilers follow....

And Keith, thats an amazing observation.... didn't see that at all... but you are totally right. The stunning special effects are the things that astounded me, and I guess I didnt' stop to think about the plot line in any kind of Pocahontas parallel but you are spot on.

And I might add, that he has now ruined the title of my 3rd book.... :evil: but I still might use it anyway, cos the story is totally different.

Fav bit was how the animals and people fused to work together. Followed by the neon lighting through the forest. And I am guessing there was enough things being blown up to satisfy the 'blokey blow everything up' factor for you Keith? :D

Worst bit was how it was screened in a cinema that is just marginally larger than my loungeroom and the stinky man ( and by that I do mean smelly) next to me kept commentating loudly 'to himself' all the way through the 3 hours, and the bloke up the end of the aisle who had to climb over everyone at least 3 times ( blocking the projector) to go to the bathroom was a joy. It was a packed house and even though we got there in good time, we had to split up to get seats :evil: there should be a law against showing stuff like that in a tiny cinema.

Definitely needs the big screen for full effect though huh? It will lose something on my considerably smaller screen at home. :D

rating: at least 9.7 ( loses the .3 for the above mentioned cinema atmosphere)

Lisa. :D

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby BrizMarc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 am

first off.... LOL to the new avatar of yours brizmarc.... took me almost a full minute to figure out it was your avatar and not a nasty little bug trapped in my laptop ( Doh!)
:lol: :lol:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”