Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Christmas traditions

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Christmas traditions

Postby Mel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Do you and yours have any? I love baking and bake biscuits and cookies and make fudge in the lead up to Christmas every year. This was the first year Ben was old enough to 'help' me :) We had a lot of fun decorating our Gingerbread men today.

We also stay at my PIL's on Christmas Eve with my SIL and her kids so all the kids wake up together on Chrissy morning for their Santa pressies.

That's about it for us though. What traditions do you have?
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Christmas traditions

Postby mushu mama » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Oh Wow.... where do I start? ( nice thread by the way :D )

The most important ones have survived the divorce.

My mum always bought my sisters and I a huge tin of Roses chocolates every year to eat at will . She did it till her very last christmas - now I buy one for my own little family to enjoy on the day.

The Tree - I am a total tree nazi. I always do all the decorating. No objections are brooked. I know... I feel just a pinch of guilt but not enough to stem the desire to have complete decorating control.

Food - I am German... its all about the abundance of food. Massive breakfast ( changes every year - this year the vote was french toast, croissants and sticky mickey's for morning tea) even bigger Lunch ( roast turkey in some incarnation,roast vegies and lashings of gravy) always make a plum pud but rarely heat it up until there is more stomach room on Boxing Day.
Dinner is a non event. Too full. We usually eat the BBQ stuff intended for Christmas dinner for Boxing Day dinner.

I make a few 'only on special occasions/family recipe' bickies and a german meat paste that has been passed down through the generations that looks like pate but tastes more like spicey beef stew... its an acquired taste... :wink:

Only one pressie before Church and then a massive free for all of gifts before lunch when we get home.

always have crackers and MUST wear the paper hats for a 'decent' amount of time. Making our own this year - scrapbooked style.

I have bought my kids a special decoration each year and recorded the details so that when they leave home, they can decorate a tree of their own. I am however, very attached to many of them so that might be interesting ( only kidding, they'll get them). Actually, this is the only thing I am not a control freak about with the tree... the kids put their own stash onto the tree. Its something they never want to miss, and one of my favourite parts of christmas watching them remembering christmas's past.

Christmas photo of my family.

I collect Christmas tree 'stuff' - it gets harder each year to find enough room for the forest.

We don't tend to go very far from home cos I only have Christmas Day off.

I'm sure there are more but I can't remember any more right now...

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:52 am

I forgot about putting the tree up. I have my decorations, Craig has his and Ben has a couple too. For now tho, we still help Ben put his on the tree. I am looking forward to both boys being able to put their own up on the tree :)

Our extended family Christmas party is on this weekend too. I guess you would call that a tradition. It's so much fun to see all my cousins and their kids and my uncles and aunts. I'm so glad we still do it all.

Oh and on Christmas Eve night, the boys (well so far it's only been Ben, but Jared will get some this year too), they get a new pair of jammies to open and wear that night. That way they have nice new pjs in all the photos in the morning.

Also on Chrissy Eve I sit down with all the kids and read The Night Before Christmas with them. My book has little paper cutouts that you add to the page as you're reading it. :)

Oh I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:01 pm

Oh yeah.... the Night Before Christmas... we used to do that when the kids were little... I just might drag that out this year and read it again for old times sake. That'll crack them up. -/

Have fun this weekend with your family Mel... :)

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”