Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

DUD Disney Recipe of the Month

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

DUD Disney Recipe of the Month

Postby mushu mama » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:51 am

ok, well... this should fit in nicely with the 'Disney mom' thing that ajp was talking about today.

A combination of my totally overwhelming obsession with the recent show 'masterchef' and having to go through old files on my old PC in readiness for its burial and stumbling across a rather fat file of recipes from the Disney properties that I had downloaded but never made many of, has led to my kitchen and I becoming reaquainted in a very meaninful way.
Over the last couple of months I have been toying with some of these recipes and been delighted with that taste of Disney that has resulted.
My kids think its one of the best weird sidetracks I've ever taken. :wink:

so I thought each month I'd share another of these recipes that I've toyed with and if you feel the urge, try it out and give me your verdict on what your family thought.

The collection of recipes ranges from Walts favourites, Disneyland/World recipes and some from the Disney resorts.

A couple of things to remember:

** All the recipes are American... meaning they are in imperial measurements. Before I bought measuring apparatus in Disneyland on my trip last year, I used to use an online converter to quickly work out what it was in our metric system.

( found here: http://www.onlineconversion.com/ )

** all the temperatures are in Farenheit not Celsius. so again, do the conversion or you'll toast stuff you don't want to.

I'll also put in tips that I found to be helpful that should have been in the recipe. My mum was a caterer so I spent the first 18 years of my life helping in kitchens, so I tend to forget that I might be speaking in another language when I talk cooking. If you don't understand anything I write, just ask.

I just thought this might be something fun to try out, cos in our house, we all love these recipes and the Disney night that tends to follow with DVD's and other paraphenalia.

I'll post the first one ( and photos if I can find them) sometime today.

enjoy :D

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: DUD Disney Recipe of the Month

Postby mushu mama » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:16 am

ok... this is a firm favourite... I only tried this recipe after I'd had the real thing though. Being in QLD, we have a lot of opportunities to BBQ so this one get a run fairly regularly. If you prefer 'well done' then I suggest using a flat plate rather than a slatted grill. When you make these with chicken chunks it is one of the quickest dinners I know.

Nothing else to add, other than, don't burn them. :wink:

Bengal BBQ Beef Skewers

Portion Size: 6

Soy Sauce 1 cup

Water 1 1/2 Cups

Ground Black Pepper 1 Tbsp.

Sesame Seed Oil 3 Tbsp.

Ground Red Pepper 1 tsp. ( I have left this out once or twice and it was still good)

Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp.

Granulated Garlic 1 Tbsp. ( I used fresh)

Cornstarch/cornflour 3 Tbsp.

Sirloin Beef Chunks 18 Pieces - 1 oz. each

Bamboo Skewers 6 each.

Combine all of the ingredients above and bring to a boil,

adding cornstarch to thicken. Soak the bamboo skewers in

water to avoid burning. Place 3 pieces of beef on each skewer

and cook on the grill 3 minutes on each side or until

desired doneness. Brush with sauce and serve

Enjoy :D

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Can we post too?

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 am

Absolutely! The more the merrier -/ I love Disney recipes :D

Lisa. */

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 am

I have been collecting Disney recipe books over the years so let me know when you are ready for more!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Clearly the Disney food thing has struck a chord. :D

So what I am thinking is, what if anyone that wants to submits one recipe a month and then to take this above a mere 'recipe collection' exercise... actually attempt to make them during that month and give a verdict after making it... eg: a ' is better at Disneyland' rating or a 'just like being there' rating.

What do you say?

I'm doing the Bengal BBQ thing for tomorrows BBQ lunch( trying to impress my sons lovely new girlfriend - and lets face it, if she's around here much she is going to HAVE to be Disney-tolerant :wink: )

Looking forward to trying your recipes too.

Lisa. -/

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:01 pm

ok... Bengal BBQ under my belt ( literally) for September.

Anyone else had a go at it or want to add another recipe for Sept?

Lisa. :D

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I didn't try this one but I have made the Flame Tree BBQ Sauce from the Animal Kingdom and Angus (a big fan of American BBQ sauce) said it was very close!

OK I have one for you - Tonga Toast: "This decadent, deep-fried breakfast favourite has been served for more than a quarter of a century at Disney's Polynesian Resort and is now on the menu at Kona Cafe" You will need a heart-start machine handy!

1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 loaf sourdough bread (8 inches long)
2 bananas
oil for frying

1. Mix the sugar and cinnamon, set aside
2. Slice bread into 4 x 2 inch thick slices
3. Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise
4. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into it; repeat with each slice
5. In a large pot or deep fryer heat oil 180 C (use candy thermometer)
6. Gently place one bread slice into oil for 1 minute or until light brown
7. Turn and fry other side
8. remove from oil and toss in sugar and cinnamon mixture

Mmmmm good -/

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:11 am

I do make this one whenever I have to take a slice anywhere because its easy!

Rocky Road with a Pop (my name for it I don't remember what its real name was ) from the confectionary shop near Pooh's Hunny Hunt in DL

4 cups of air popped pop corn (I use the one that you get in bags for kids lunch boxes)
1/2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
2 cups small marshmallows
1 large block of milk cooking chocolate

Mix first three ingredients in a bowl. melt chocolate, mix all together. Tip onto a large square of baking paper. put another square of paper on top and squish it to spread it out so it is only about 5cms high. When set cut into pieces.

If you buy the right marshmallows this recipe is also gluten free

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Here is the recipe for the Gingerbread that is made at WDW Beach Club Resort. :

Yield: about twenty 3 inch cookies. ( all measurements are in US imperial )

Ingredients:

* 10 tablesp unsalted butter
* 2/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup corn syrup
* 1/3 cup milk
* 14 oz bread (plain) flour
* 2/3 teasp baking powder
* 1/2 teasp cinnamon
* 1/2 teasp ground ginger
* 1/2 teasp ground cloves.

1. place butter, sugar, corn syrup and milk in a saucepan. Heat to about 110 degrees F, stirring the mixture into a smooth paste at the same time.

2. Sift flour, baking soda and spices together. Incorporate into the butter mixture.

3. Line the bottom of a sheet pan with baking paper. Dust the paper with flour and place the dough on top. Flatten the dough, cover and refridgerate over night.

4. Roll out a small portion of the dough to 1/16th inch thick ( keep the dough you are not working on in the fridge) The dough will feel sticky, but dont be tempted to mix in additional flour, the Flour used to roll out the dough will be enough. Too much flour will make the cookies too hard and not pleasant tasting.

5. Cut out cookies using 3 inch cutter of desired shape. Place the cookies on sheet pans lined with baking paper.

6. Bake the cookies at 400 degrees F. for about 10 mins until they have a rich brown colour.

7. decorate as desired.

Enjoy :D

Lisa. */

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:48 am

After you have made Lisa's gingerbread, try making these - too cute!
http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2009/ ... -your-mug/

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:10 pm

OMG those little houses are gorgeous!

Lisa, I don't have all those ingredients so I'll stick with my old recipe for now. After new year though I might give the DIsney version a go and see if it will take the place of my standard gingerbread recipe for next year.
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:04 am

OMG.... those houses are just sensational! I am SO doing that next year ( or before if I can simply not wait that long :wink: )

Nice find Beth.

Lisa. :cat:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:39 am

For all those Disney foodies....

stumbled across this book today and was delighted that Tiana's Beignets recipe was in there... LOVE these... had some in DTD when I was there.

Think I might have to break my current 'frugal' rule and get this book ... might make them for Easter day, cos I'll be sick of Easter buns by then :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 1423125401

Anyone else had any Disney food finds lately?

Lisa. :D

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”