Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Twilight

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Twilight

Postby mushu mama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Yep, Loved the movie... but I did have one disappointment - when I was fishing around looking for my drink... only a couple of seconds at most... I missed the 'Jacob taking off his shirt' moment that everyone has been buzzing about.... I only realised when Millie elbowed me telling what I'd missed. Luckily, there was sufficient gratuitious shirtlessness in the rest of the movie to partially compensate.

One thing that really struck me though, was despite the M rating, there were a high percentage of little girls under 6 there watching and it was quite unsettling and distessing for me to see quite a few of those same little girls very distressed and unable to move from their seats when the lights came up, with the teenage ushers totally ill-equiped for such an outcome. I honestly think that if they are too young to read the book, then they are too young to see the movie. And as I walked out, the line waiting to go in was just as filled with tiny little kids some as young as about 3 waiting to watch vampires, wolves and really intense themes of intentional killing and betrayal. There are going to be some nightmares in Sunshine coast homes tonight I suspect. It certainly took the shine off my own enjoyment by seeing those little impressionable girls so clearly upset. Whatever happened to age appropriate-ness? ( is there such a word?)

love the new avatar by the way Keith
Thanks! Can't wait for this film :)
Me too... really looking forward to that one. :D

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:21 am

I think as adults we get so desensitised to what we see and can be poor judges of what's appropriate. I think that probably the hype around Twilight makes it very hard for parents to keep it away from young children who can be very demanding about being a part of anything that is considered popular and as I am testament is also very popular with mums.

I think I have seen small children at most hyped up movies in the past such as Lord of the Rings, Batman and Harry Potter - all have seriously scary stuff but are marketed to kids. Mcdonalds etc all jump on this stuff.

What will they do with the last movie? I have friends who have let their pre-teen/early teen girls read the books and if anyone has read book 4 you will know that it has most definitely adult themed.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 am

yep, they do get caught up in the marketing( and I will admit to being one of them). Its just a shame it overrides parental common sense.

over and above all that though, I LOVED the movie. -/ and will be seeing it again soon.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Six year olds? Younger? :shock: I talked my SIL out of letting my 11 year old niece reading the books! Kids that age are so impressionable and they pick up on EVERYTHING! We can't watch the news anymore because Ben started repeating what the newsreader was saying and it's just not nice for a two year old to be talking about "Three people found dead.."!!! I don't watch anything above a PG rating while Ben's around now, and sometimes even those movies creep him out a bit. More than once while watching a Disney movie he's told me "I don't like this part mummy", and that is mostly darkness and scary music, not vampires and big scary wolves! He's seen the tame pieces of Harry Potter 1 & 2 but that's about it. Geez, those parents of the Twilight kiddies are going to be up for some long nights :(

On a happier note.... glad you enjoyed it Lisa :) Sorry you missed the Jacob-taking-his-shirt-off-scene - I'll have to make sure I'm paying attention for that one :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:59 am

Played the Twilight board game Christmas Day (actually got it several months ago for my birthday) this would have to be the worst game ever. We each had one turn and then packed it up. I was expecting trivia but it was " Secretly write down 3 nicknames and tick your favourite and if the player picks the same favourite you win the challenge." or "Bella's biggest fear is losing Edward, secretly write down your biggest fear and if it is the same as someone elses you win the challenge" My brain began to seize!

Mind you my family did find it amusing to give me an Edward doll for Christmas!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:10 am

this would have to be the worst game ever.
Wow - that does sound bad - I'd be poking my eye out within five minutes from the sound of those questions!

The Edward doll from your family is funny though!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:06 am

this would have to be the worst game ever.
Wow - that does sound bad - I'd be poking my eye out within five minutes from the sound of those questions!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

what he said... !

I tried to get Millie an Edward doll... every time they hit the shelves they were gone :x

Lisa.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 am

Off to see 'Eclipse' tonight - girls night out! -/ -/ -/

But the blokes are tagging along to Thai before the movie. (Just between you and me there are some amongst the men folk who would much rather see the movie than go back to our place for cards - but they are playing close to their chests whether they are Team Jacob or Team Edward) :lol:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm really falling behind in the 'going to the movies' stakes.... all work and no play is making Lisa a very dull girl. :evil: Theres at least 5 movies I want to see and can't find the time to get there. grrr....

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:20 am

Well...I'm undecided so I think I will just have to see it again!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:12 am

Well...I'm undecided so I think I will just have to see it again!
Thats what my daughter said... but I'm sure there was a squeal, a sigh and the word 'Jacob' in there somewhere too... :wink:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:02 pm

I just find the movies a little disturbing as Jacob Black is the same age as my own Jacob!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:10 pm

I just find the movies a little disturbing as Jacob Black is the same age as my own Jacob!

:lol:

I don't think anyone would lynch any of us for appreciating something pretty. :wink:

One of the girls I work with is in her early twenties and SHE worries that she is a little too cougarish lusting after Jacob. Interesting that this squeemishness only applies in such circumstances when its a younger 'man' or in Jacobs case... manling. Men don't see the issue in reverse it seems. :roll:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:51 am

[
One of the girls I work with is in her early twenties and SHE worries that she is a little too cougarish lusting after Jacob.
I think in my case I feel more like mutton than cougar :wink:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Men don't see the issue in reverse it seems. :roll:
I don't know. I always feel a little guilty knocking back all those 18 year olds. 8)

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”