Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Top three - What made me Gasp!!!!

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Top three - What made me Gasp!!!!

Postby sandie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:46 pm

I am pretty sure we have all visited at least one Disney Park so what were the top three rides that you thought twice about riding. Make sure you tell us if you ever did end up riding them (especially you Greg)

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Top three - What made me Gasp!!!!

Postby KeithS » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:04 pm

This is easy!

1. California Screamin' - we walked into DCA and I said - no way...I'm not going on that! At that time, I was not a roller coaster fan. We arrived in Anaheim on the 1st May - and it took us until the 10th to go on it! It was Della who kept reminding me that we couldn't go all the way around the world and not ride it - imagine what our friends back home would say? Of course, after doing it once it was easy and I've been on it many times since.

2. Tower of Terror - As above, although on that first trip, I only did it once. I think hearing everyone else scream turned me off. Even after doing it that one time, I wasn't too keen. But during the World Tour, we got to experience both WDW and DCA's TOT and rode them quite a few times, I'm now a big fan. In Tokyo, we rode it a lot because of the small crowds on the wet days.

3. Rockin' Roller Coaster Paris - you get to stand in line and watch that thing accelerate from 0 to 10000 miles and hour (or there abouts ;) ) in the blink of an eye while you are waiting your turn...there are enough warning signs to really make you think "is this for me", you've read on the internet that just a fortnight ago, a fit and healthy person dropped dead whilst riding it...it has corkscrews and multiple inversions and you sit on a subwoofer which pounds Aerosmith into your body...all these things were in the back of my mind as I got onboard. Yes, we rode, yes it is brilliant, yes it is intense. Yes, we've ridden it a few more times since in WDW.

Honourable mention - Space Mountain Mission 2 in Paris - once again we didn't ride this one until our last day in Paris and only because we couldn't go home without having done so. Like Rockin' Roller Coaster, it is dark and indoors with loops and corkscrews. It is just as intense, quite bumpy, but really really good. I wish I had ridden it more times than I did.

There are a couple of Disney rides I've never been on:
The rocking gondolas on the Sun Wheel at DCA - I'll never ride those...never, ever...
The Orange Stringer at DCA - no reason other than it is lame...
Maliboomer at DCA - why do a standard tower drop when Tower of Terror is just a few hundred metres away??
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:02 pm

The Sun Wheel - now I didn't gasp when I saw it but I did once my rocking gondola started moving - what insane maniac dreamed that up? Humans sitting in a cage swinging at ridiculous angles 100 metres off he ground unrestrained? This ride terrifies me. I have been on it about 8 times, always in a rocking gondola because its there and I have to - but I never enjoy the experience.

Rock n Roller Coaster - (WDW) - It was all good until the queue gets to the launch area and you see one of the strech limos take off. In reality it is not an extreme ride but the launch seems so fast when you are watching it from the sidelines.

California Screamin - for the same reason as above - in reality this is a wimpy coaster - fun but not at all scary.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:46 am

The Sun Wheel - now I didn't gasp when I saw it but I did once my rocking gondola started moving - what insane maniac dreamed that up? Humans sitting in a cage swinging at ridiculous angles 100 metres off he ground unrestrained? This ride terrifies me. I have been on it about 8 times, always in a rocking gondola because its there and I have to - but I never enjoy the experience.
This is my big one too. I've told Craig I will NEVER get on one of those rocking gondolas again. But of course I also said that before I rode it last time with him :lol:

The only other one that even rates a mention is the Dinosaur! attraction at AK. I didn't gasp before going on it, but almost had a heart attack whilst on it. I hate things jumping out on me. I've only been on it the once and it's probably enough for me!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:56 pm

The only other one that even rates a mention is the Dinosaur! attraction at AK. I didn't gasp before going on it, but almost had a heart attack whilst on it. I hate things jumping out on me. I've only been on it the once and it's probably enough for me!
Now I have been on this heaps in both its versions. But last trip we went for our first ride of the visit and I forgot about the Carnosaur chasing the jeep. I almost wet my pants. The look on my face is priceless - it is abject terror. In fact John loved this ride until he saw my photo (he was right next to me smiling at the camera) and then he decided never to go on it again.

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Blimey Charlie... let me add my 'NEVER GO ON THE SUNWHEEL THAT ROCKS' to the pile... anyone that read my blog entry for that day knows how that ended....

suffice to say... I rode it, I hated it. Nearly barfed to seal the deal.

Another one that I was hesitant about was Haunted Mansion.... freaked me out... never doing it again.

And thirdly.... Splash Mountain... I hate those huge drops into a puddle of water so nope... I am yet to ride that one anywhere in the world. And lets face it... who wants to ruin their hair with all that water.

Honourable mentions: Screamin"... was hesitant... rode it .... loved it till the last few dips that made my stomach churn.
Grizzley River Rapids ( or whatever its called) Loved watching it... read the bit about getting my hair wet above for full details. :wink:

Lisa. :cat:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 am

Another one that I was hesitant about was Haunted Mansion.... freaked me out... never doing it again.

Lisa. :cat:
:shock: Lisa! The Haunted Mansion was the first ride that I felt that Disney magic. I was 16 on my first trip to DL and all I remember was getting off and saying to my friends "How do they do that? I was hooked for good after that ride :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:02 pm

Mel... let me direct you to my blog entry about the haunted mansion.... then you might understand why I am never going in there ever again.

http://mushusmagicalmysterytour.blogspo ... chive.html

This will get you there, read the bit about haunted mansion and you will understand.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Yo may notice that I've been absent from this topic, only because there isn't much that I personally balk at. The only one I can think of is the Maliboomer in DCA. But once I got dragged on (by my 9 year old no less), I realised that it was harmless. Eveything I'll do.

BUT

Now that I've done it, Winnie the Pooh in DL is a no go now. That made me gasp big time - I gasped that they spent so much money and time on it.

I also gasp that they still have not anything with the old people mover track. The opportunities surely are endless with that, but still nothing.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”