Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Lisa Files Quiz No. 5 - Man Overboard...

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

The Lisa Files Quiz No. 5 - Man Overboard...

Postby mushu mama » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:25 pm

You asked for it, so here it comes. Round 5.
Can't guarantee that this one will be as funny... I guess that depends on your responses...

ok...

Man Overboard:

You are alone in a boat with a bunch of items.

*Old Love letters
*A survival kit
*An iPod

The boat starts to sink. :shock: You need to jettison some stuff.
Ditch stuff till you are left with one thing.
What did you keep?
What order and why did you jettison the other stuff?
how long did it take to decide and how easy was the decision?

thats it... have at it. :D

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: The Lisa Files Quiz No. 5 - Man Overboard...

Postby ajp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:28 pm

First to go - old love letters. This was an easy decision. I probably didn't reply to them anyway and what good are they, I'm in the middle of nowhere right?
Next to go, the survival kit. Now this may seem strange, but depending what was in it, I would have used some of the stuff already, and it's the heaviest item. I need to keep this tub afloat for as long as I can. This decision wasn't as quick to make, but still obvious given the inflow of water!
An iPod, while providing some entertainment down to the last breaths, can also be used in a MacGyver style way to fashion some sort of radio transmitting/multipurpose tool that will at least try and get some help. So I kept it!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Man Overboard:

You are alone in a boat with a bunch of items.

*Old Love letters
*A survival kit
*An iPod

The boat starts to sink. You need to jettison some stuff.
Ditch stuff till you are left with one thing.
What did you keep?
What order and why did you jettison the other stuff?
how long did it take to decide and how easy was the decision?
By the title of this one I am going to assume that I have already thrown the male who got us into this pickle with his poor boat skills into the drink.

Next goes the IPod - if there is no-one else with me I wouldn't want to wear it in case I missed hearing a boat/plane etc.

Now this is hard if the survival kit is useless - knife etc, no food chuck it and keep the letters. I can not survive without rreading material and you can eat paper to survive.

However if the survival kit has chocolate I will keep it and chuck the letters

Sandie

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:15 pm

First to go is the letters. Not sure why I would have had them on the boat anyway, space is a premium on a boat and if I was saving them I would have them somewhere much safer and somewhere the beach bunnies I pick up around the world are not going to find them and have the carefully cultivated persona of lone wolf, world wary sailor destroyed.

Next is the ipod. With only a few hours battery life it's not going to be much good to me soon anyway. All my music is carefully backed up so it's not a problem to buy a new one in some duty free port.

The survival kit is the last thing to go. On the cruise ship we did a lot of training involving life rafts , life boats, survival kits etc. We were shown videos of what happens to people after just a short time marooned at sea and it's not pretty. Even if I had to abandon the boat and just float on a makeshift raft I would hang on to that survival kit.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:20 pm

I throw myself over first and get rescued by Orlando Bloom and the Flying Dutchman!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Hmmm...this one seems a little easier this time. And it doesn't look like it has anything to do with who our favourite partner is, or girly stuff like that. It looks like a plain old questionnaire.

That said, here goes (can't wait to read everyone else's answers once I've written this - especially Anthony's - he always has something funny to say).

Number One - love letters. When the Titanic was going down - no one was saying "my love letters, my glorious love letters". Not much use when I'm dead, and not much use if I wash up on a deserted island. Besides, they can't be mine - nobody writes me love letters :cry: hehe.

Number Two - survival kit. As the Titanic went down, no one thought "we must grab that box with the scissors and the needle and thread" When you are dying of thirst on the desert island, surrounded by useless items you thought were going to save your life, your last conscious thoughts will probably be "jeez...I wish I had my iPod..."

So - that leaves the iPod. As the Titanic went down, what is the one thing that is really remembered? That's right - the band playing as the ship sank. The iPod is the modern equivalent of the Titanic's ship band. Never part with it in a crisis. Besides, when you wash up on shore somewhere, you can probably MacGyver the parts into some cool radio device etc. Also, it has a nice glass screen which can reflect light to signal ships etc. The iPod is your life saver.

EDIT - wow, just read Anthony's answers...that's scary :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 pm

MacGyver boys :shock:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:46 pm

O M G Keith - I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I read yours! See everyone, the iPod. The worlds most useful invention!
Last edited by ajp on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:34 am

Hmmm...this one seems a little easier this time. And it doesn't look like it has anything to do with who our favourite partner is, or girly stuff like that. It looks like a plain old questionnaire.
(Lisa shaking her head :roll: )

Sorry Keith, its not really about the iPod, letters or survival kit. :lol:
They're just props.

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:09 am

I found this quiz the easiest!

First to go would be the iPod. Couple of hours and it would be useless anyway.

Second, the survival kit. It'd be heavy and really, how long could it help me survive if the boat is sinking anyway?

I would hold onto the love letters unless I had no other choice. I love to read. I would even say I NEED to read (eg, this morning I found that I had finished my library books so chucked a Harry Potter in my workbag so I'd have something to read at and on the train!). Besides, you could get hours of entertainment out of your imagination dreaming of what will happen when you get rescued by the author of the letters :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:53 am

I've sensed a distinct difference between the male and female responses on this one. I know, it's rather insightful, and yes it did hurt, but I think it's there! 8)

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:31 pm

I've sensed a distinct difference between the male and female responses on this one.
Yes the difference is that when we all get rescued in a years time the women will still be alive and nourished both phsyically from eating our letters and emotionally by having reading material - where as all the males except maybe Greg (depends if chocolate was in the kit) will be dead and clutching at a useless bit of technology that died exactly 1 hour after they threw the useful stuff overboard!!!!!

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 pm

I find it immensely intriguing what people cannot live without.

And for a twist to this tale I'm going to post an answer as well. This quiz is not really about the things. And I'll explain why later.

This is my response to this quiz question when I first read the magazine.

I am a music nut. I'm always acquiring more, I simply cannot live without it, I have music playing almost all the time. On my computer, loudly on the stereo in the living room, on my ipod, all day at work, in the car every time I go ANYWHERE, even my alarm clock sings ( albiet in a minnie mouse voice). I would be lost without it. But interestingly, it'd be the first thing I threw overboard. I would have had it on the whole time anyway, and it would be flat by the time I turfed it. :wink:

Next would be the love letters. This would be a wrench.... I'm overly sentimental and this would be really tough for me. I dare say there'd be a tear or two at the time. I'd re-read them, and then throw them... I'd rather be alive and see the author again.

So I'd keep the Survival kit. By its very nature, what's in there is geared to help you survive, and if the boat was sinking, thats all I'd be thinking about. And I refuse to believe it wouldn't have chocolate in it. :wink:

Lisa. :cat:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:51 pm

I've sensed a distinct difference between the male and female responses on this one.
Hey Lisa - when will we get the analysis on this one? I'm guessing we've all given answers that are stereotypical - girls like emotional stuff - boys like electronic gizmos...

(p.s. sorry for my lack of postings this week - I've been tied up at work.)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Ok, analysis coming up tomorrow... :D
I'm guessing we've all given answers that are stereotypical - girls like emotional stuff - boys like electronic gizmos...
Yep, I was surprised by the visible line down the middle because everyone had equal footing on this one... it wasn't about emotions... it was about response.
I'll explain it better tomorrow, but it was intriguing to say the least. :D

And something else that I found funny about all this ... you MacGyver boys... it must have been the week for it, because (long story short) I have a shopping bag ( a Star Wars one :) )that I take all the 'stuff' I need for my day at work... now this bag just keeps getting fuller and fuller till I have to upend it and throw out the receipts, envelopes, chocolate wrappers, random escaped lollies ... anyway, a customer saw my bag of tricks as I arrived at work and straight out of her mouth came... " You know... MacGyver could save the world with the contents of that bag.... :? ... I'm thinking it's time for another cull. :roll:

Lisa. -/

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”