Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Olympics

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Olympics

Postby mushu mama » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 pm

I am an Olympic Junkie and plan to watch every possible second of the Olympics when they start next week.
I think I'm ready... I have almost all the little mascots they are selling at Macca's, I've been reading anything about the Olympics in any magazine and newspaper I can lay my hands on and have been practicing my very best Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi... ( which, luckily I can still do in my loungeroom seeing as they won't allow it at the actual games :shock: )
I will have the loungeroom decked out in the green and gold streamers and balloons, and any remotely applicable beanie kids of my daughters are taking up prime positions lining the base of the TV. I have my flag ready to wrap around my shoulders when I need to get serious about the cheering and can sing the national anthem in my sleep - yep... even the second verse. :wink:
I'm planning on serving green pav with passionfruit on top, making red white and blue marble cake, having copious amounts of BBQ's and having plenty of Austrlalian red to wash all that down with. Amongst other Aussie inspired food.

I will brook no argument about who gets the 'big TV'... that would be me.

And last but not least, I have my Aussie Flag stubbie holder ( for the coke) at the ready.

Anyone else get this carried away?

(sadly, I've also been known to do this for Wimbledon, Test matches and Grand finals of any sort - and yep... before anyone asks... I do know I'm a girl and this kind of fervour over sport is not becoming for my gender :roll: )

Bring on Beijing... I can't wait to see all the fireworks. Political, emotional and actual. :D

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Beijing Olympics

Postby ajp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Anyone else get this carried away?
Olympics, No, but that doesn't mean I don't get glued. Afterall sport is sport.
Grand Final, have been known to, but only when the Eels are playing (which is very rare I know).
Bathurst, you betcha. Rules are simple. Don't talk between 7am and 6pm and do not, I repeat do not get between me and the fridge. Ford flags, Ford shirts, Ford stubby holders. When my nephew is with us, he's Holden everything, so we need to add Holden sledging to our list of equipment.
Wimbledon (or any tennis for that matter), gotta be kidding, no way.
Test match cricket! No, but still religious nontheless.
I do know I'm a girl and this kind of fervour over sport is not becoming for my gender
Quite the contrary Lisa. I was attracted to Ros because of her love of cricket and motor racing. I'm surprised you're still single, especially in Queensland!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:53 pm

I love watching the Olympics. I've been a watcher since way back in Moscow in 1980. I'm fairly confident I can even name the host broadcaster for each Olympic Games
Let's see:
1980 Moscow - Channel Seven
1984 LA - Channel Ten
1988 Seoul - Channel Ten
1992 Barcelona - Seven
1996 Atlanta - Seven
2000 Sydney - Seven
2004 Athens - Seven
2008 Beijing - Seven
2012 London - Nine

I can do the Winter Olympics too!

Anyway - yes, I watch them, but I don't get dressed up in green and gold or the Aussie flag when watching them on TV in my home.

The Sydney Olympics was different - I had Aussie flag t-shirt and hat when I went to the events. I also spent a lot of time at the Olympic Live sites in the City after work - it was a 16 day party for me :D

Other Sports? My list is almost exactly the same as Anthony's.
Grand Final (Rugby League only) - I watch it (and State of Origin) religiously (and by religiously, I mean I'm saying "God, God, oh come on ref, Jeez" a lot!!! haha)
Bathurst - no doubt about it. Put me in front of the telly - I move to take bathroom breaks and visit the fridge...but that's it! I think I recounted my disastrous Bathurst weekend last year where I was booked to visit Della's Dad in Fitzroy Falls (but it all ended well in the end with me watching it alone on his telly - although I missed the first 30 minutes...!) - Oh yeah - and everything is Ford on that day!
Tennis of any sort - complete and utter garbage...zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...
Test match cricket - I usually have it on in the background - I won't watch every ball, but I will watch nearly every one dayer and Twenty20 - again, I don't dress in green and gold!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Blimey Keith.... :shock: you win....

I really didn't give the broadcaster a thought. As long as I could watch it I was happy.

And Tennis is a wonderful sport... I watch a LOT of tennis... I even like playing it. I'd really love to be sitting in the crowd at Wimbledon one day eating strawberries and cream... and the good thing is, unlike sitting at Melbourne and getting cooked in the summer sun, you can sit there secure in the knowledge that you probably won't even see any sun.

I went to the Commonwealth games in Melbourne in 2006 and loved every second of that too. There is nothing like being there. I had vowed to be in Beijing... oh well... I will probably see more of it on my TV anyway.

I don't understand Rugby at all... god knows plenty of people have tried to help me understand but it just is too ridiculous to fathom. :twisted:
I follow real football... and I am just as vocal watching that as you guys sound with your Rugby. I grew up with a steady diet of Aussie Rules( Dad was the President of the local club/mum was the president of the Ladies division for half their lives, my sisters played in the netball team and I was content to watch the lovely men in tight shorts).

I love 20/20 and one dayers too... I get my cricket duck out and squeeze his tummy when someone goes out for a duck. :D

as for the car racing.... total snoozefest.... like watching paint dry. :twisted:

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Sorry, but nup, not all that interested.

I love my Aussie Rules and will watch any game any time.
Will watch soccer when it's a big game.
Am forced to watch Rugby League every weekend, but usually read a book while it's on.

That's about it for sport with me!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I am an Olympic Junkie and plan to watch every possible second of the Olympics when they start next week.
It has been very quiet around here this week so I thought I'd resurrect this thread as this could be the reason for some of the quietness...

Lisa - are you tuned into London?

I've been enjoying the games since they started, in fact, that's pretty much all I've been doing these last few days. I had a disaster last night when our Foxtel and Internet dropped out from about 8:20pm until I went to bed - which meant I had to watch Channel 9 (ewwww...ads...). Thankfully it was back working this morning! I have to say the Foxtel coverage is fantastic - the ability to pick your sport and watch whole matches/competitions is great. I've been watching rowing, shooting, archery, the entire mens and womens cycle road races, hockey, basketball - all sorts of things.

Bring on more action tonight!
(Oh - it also means I struggle through each day at work - zzz - zzz -zzz!!!)
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Hello... hello... Hello....

yep, I'm watching as much of the games as I can, but I will say, for the first time I can remember, I'm very disappointed in the free to air version this time. Nine are mish-mashing it up and only showing the same snippets over and over and over again and not all of the sports are getting a showing. If I could afford Foxtel believe me, I'd be having it connected immediately.

I hope Seven get it back next time... although, I'm thinking I might make an effort to actually go to the games in Rio in person. I am a little concerned that by the one after that, I might be too old to enjoy it the way I would want to.

I have a few days off now so will really be lapsing into Olympic immersion for that time.

I am hoping they telecast some of the Paralympics as well as an old school friend of Zachs is on the Basketball team and I'd love to see him play.

Happy Olympic-ing :)

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Hey guys you do know the Olympics are in London at the moment not Beijing?

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Olympics

Postby KeithS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 am

Yeah Yeah - I was just resurrecting an old topic. I've updated the title now :)

Lisa - I saw some commentary in the paper today that was blasting the Channel Nine coverage too, so you are not alone. Yep - going to Rio to see the Olympics in person would be great, but I think I'd like to see how they handle the soccer world cup in two years time before making any decisions...
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 am

Well I've changed my tune from 4 years ago :oops:

The boys have been enjoying some of the Olympics and it's contagious. I'm loving the Foxtel coverage too. I like watching the handball, hockey and rowing for some reason and the boys like the 'clever girls' of the gymnastics.

On a side note, I LOVED the Opening Ceremony with the 'cauldron' an absolute highlight. What a unique and wonderful idea :)

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Sorry, but nup, not all that interested.
Well I've changed my tune from 4 years ago
Hehe - that's why I like resurrecting these old threads :D
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:46 pm

LOL... I KNEW there was something amiss when all the logos said London.... :lol:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Yep - going to Rio to see the Olympics in person would be great, but I think I'd like to see how they handle the soccer world cup in two years time before making any decisions...
Very good thinking :D

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:59 pm

The boys have been enjoying some of the Olympics and it's contagious.
We've been reminiscing about the Sydney games when we had our own Olympic events in our lounge room with the boys and both my parents while we watched the opening ceremony

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 am

The boys have been enjoying some of the Olympics and it's contagious.
We've been reminiscing about the Sydney games when we had our own Olympic events in our lounge room with the boys and both my parents while we watched the opening ceremony
I'm not too keen on the boys to have their own Olympics... I was 'practicing' for the 1988 Olympics after being inspired by the LA games back in 1984. Gymnastics it was - the balance beam on the neighbours' fence. Of course it ended in a broken arms since I'd never done gymnastics before - but I DID master the cartwheel on the 'beam' and roundoff dismount before tragedy struck! :lol:

I could see the boys taking an eye out during fencing practice :lol:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”