Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Lisa Files Quiz No. 4 - Kicking Tyres...

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

The Lisa Files Quiz No. 4 - Kicking Tyres...

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:49 am

Game for another round? :D

This is an easy one, and while it might seem skewed in a 'bloke' direction, rest assured, its an easy one for the girls as well...

ok...

Kicking Tyres....

You are buying a used car. Any car is possible.
You've found one at a good price, but before you shell out that hard earned cash you need to take a closer look at the ride.
Describe your car, include what you'd check first and why.

Thats it... lets hear about your cars. Imagination welcome.

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: The Lisa Files Quiz No. 4 - Kicking Tyres...

Postby churros » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:38 am

Sadly I went straight to practicalities - being tall I want to make sure I can fit comfortably behind the wheel. It would be a people mover such as a Chrysler Voyager as I have kids with friends and we go camping. I love how the seats have a heater in them and you can open and close every door remotely. I'm also sick of driving a manual in Sydney traffic so time for an automatic. Is anyone still reading this? I'm falling asleep just writing it! Next I would move to the sound system and make sure I can play my ipod and listen to my Disney podcasts. Beyond that I just want reliability and the occassional burst of power!

In my youth I drove an old VW named "Indianna". Indy had no radio, no heating, no fuel gauge, poor headlights and an engine in the boot but he successfully drove me over the Blue Mountains to Bathurst and back several times a year while I was at uni! Now that was a car!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:57 pm

A. There is no way I am out looking at cars!!!!
B. Peter just picks one and brings it home and I am stuck with it.
C. This is probably why I upgraded him to Kevin!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:00 pm

But Sandie... its not really about cars....

what would you want if you could choose?

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:08 pm

In my youth I drove an old VW named "Indianna".
My car is called Bertha.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:17 pm

I would choose a Winnebago, that has a mini 4WD on a trailer. And the first thing I would check is the size of the TV and then the size of the bathroom.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 am

and then the size of the bathroom.
Greg
Men's problems? :(

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:02 am

Okay, I am in the dealership.

And there is my dream used car...I don't care what make it is (as long as it is not a Holden), but here are the features.

Firstly I check out the engine - make sure it has plenty horsepower - I want to know that when I mash the pedal to the floor, it goes (preferably with smoke and tire noise).
Then I check out the log book - I want to make sure that it was previously owned by some celebrity, preferably one who killed while driving it - it will help the resale value.
Whilst looking it over, I check the console and glove box and under the seat - looking for any spare change (come on, we all do that when we buy a second hand car).
Now for the colour - anything goes, as long as it is not pink, light blue, or some greenish-yellow cack. Red is preferable as it will go faster. Black is acceptable but harder to keep clean - it shows dust.
Two doors - I've never owned a two-door car, but they look cool.
A little bar fridge would be nice, but if that's not possible, I'd like a soft drink dispenser like they use in pubs - you know, press a different button on the hose to get a different type of drink.
Big arm rest on drivers door and a big console. You need that to balance your super large coke, your KFC box, your coleslaw, and your potato and gravy. You can usually squeeze your french fries packet into the pullout ashtray.
Doof doof stereo.
A siren.
Yep - that's about it.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:06 am

Men's problems? :(
:lol: :lol:

and why do men have to measure everything? :wink:

funnily enough... that answer was surprisingly close to text book positive. :shock:

but you'll all have to wait till everyone's finished to find out why.

Lisa. :cat:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:08 am

OH....MY.... LORD....

Keith .... I am lost for words...

That response is also straight out of the answer sheet.... :shock:

looking forward to dissecting that one as well. :twisted:

Lisa.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 am

You are buying a used car. Any car is possible.
You've found one at a good price, but before you shell out that hard earned cash you need to take a closer look at the ride.
Describe your car, include what you'd check first and why.
I won't say what car it is, because being a car guy there are so many that I want. It won't be a Holden for starters and it won't be Korean, the rest are open. It is a car with a very high power to weight ratio, which is not necessarily a V8 (although I wouldn't say no). Convertible preferable, but a hard top or coupe is acceptable. Being used makes thing both harder and easier. Harder because of the condition and having the bits I want and need, and easier because some things don't matter because they can be replaced or upgraded.

For instance, radio, wheels and tyres aren't an issue because they'll all be removed and replaced anyway. Condition of suspension is important to make sure it's drivable, but again it will be modified to suit the increased wheel size.

I will look at the condition of certain critical things like the brake pedal and clutch/gear lever. Want to make sure it hasn't been thrashed too hard (It will be a manual, unless it is a tiptronic with minimum 5 speed). Next check hoses and belts to see if things need to be replaced quickly. Will do a visual around the head to make sure it hasn't blown as well as around the sump and lower end for leaks.

Drive comes next to check the engine, gear box, clutch etc are in good order or don't need too much work. Any noises, whines or rattles from up front (or rear if a Porsche, Ferrari etc) will more than likely result in a no sale. Happy to spend money on the incidentals, but when it comes to mechanical work, and my obvious ineptness in this field, that becomes a very expensive excercise.

Now little things I like to have. Cup holders! The greatest automotive invention since the internal indicator stalk and intermittent wipers (by the way looking forward to this movie when it's released) is the cup holder. Can't have enough of them. Also, can I fit golf clubs in the boot, or at least when the back seats are down. This is important. Cruise control for saving the licence on long boring stretches and the windows will eventually be tinted.

There are some safety things that I require and won't go without. ABS braking. I have had to call on this simple but vital piece of electronic wizadry on a couple of occasions. EBD is nice, but if I didn't have it that's OK. DSC, or ASC, or ESP, they're all the same thing, essentially stability control, is also a must have. Particularly if the car is a rear wheel drive, which is my preference (although FWD is fun and I do love getting a car into a little understeer then bringing the front back in and driving out of a corner).

That's it I think. For me a car is not transport to get from A to B. It is a thing of pleasure to be comfortable when cruising and capable when asked to be. I enjoy to drive and drive hard but drive safe.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 am

I've just read Keith's:
as long as it is not a Holden
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:15 am

Sheesh.... how did I know you two would put on page long answers about the dream car... :roll:

you know this isn't really about cars don't you..... :twisted:

I think I'm going to enjoy this one the most.

Lisa. -/

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:19 am

That response is also straight out of the answer sheet.... :shock:
There's an answer sheet for this sort of thing??
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 am

Not about cars? Hang on I need to read that again then.

Blah blah blah blah car. Blah blah blah blah ride. Blah blah blah blah car. Nope all I saw was about cars. I don't know what you're saying Lisa.
Last edited by ajp on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”