Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

DVD's - what have you seen lately?

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: DVD's - what have you seen lately?

Postby churros » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Yes I bought Princess and the frog - I have to confess that I missed it at the movies :oops:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Just watched "The Last Song"...

and while I didn't think Miley Cyrus was all that flash, the story itself is a total tearjerker... the 4 occupants of the room had tears streaming down their faces... a couple were on the verge of sobs... and they weren't all girls. :P

Definitely worth seeing if you haven't already.

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Recently bought the new Emma, 4 episodes that I don't think have been on the ABC yet. Jacob queried how I can watch the same movie over and over again. I replied that perhaps his mother is just a little bit sad and maybe it is genetic!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 am

Beth is that the one that is currently showing on UKTV? Mr Woodhouse is played by the guy who plays Dumbledore?
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 am

Yes, it follows the storyline with it's own side story thrown in and uses little of Austen's language but I really like it!

Interestingly the actors that play Mr Elton and Mr Knightley have both played Edmund in different versions of Mansfield Park - yes I'm an Austen tragic. I think, like Australia, the UK has only 12 actors that they just recycle.

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 am

Just watched "The Last Song"...
I couldn't leave the cinema - I was sobbing. Imagine what it would have been like it they used a more likeable actress!

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 am

I couldn't leave the cinema - I was sobbing. Imagine what it would have been like it they used a more likeable actress!

Sandie
yep, it was lucky I was at home cos I had serious mascara issues.
- yes I'm an Austen tragic.

Beth I hope you are sitting down when you read this... my daughter asked me yesterday who Jane Austen was!!!! :shock: I was floored... she reads voraciously but admittedly, its mostly wildy fantastical stuff involving dragons, dungeons and vampires etc. She is never ( and I seriously mean never) without a book in her hand. She watches TV with a book in her hand.
I have clearly failed as a mother. :?

A quick detour into Angus and Robertson might be in order before work this morning .

Oh... and I watched a DREADFUL ( repeat: DREADFUL) movie about men that do weird things with goats last night... think its call Men Who Stare At Goats.... I'd seen the trailer and thought it looked hilarous, but don't bother... I kept waiting for the funny stuff and it just didn't happen. Just watch the trailer for the best bits.

Going to watch Green Zone tonight.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:20 am

Beth I hope you are sitting down when you read this... my daughter asked me yesterday who Jane Austen was!!!! :shock: I was floored... she reads voraciously but admittedly, its mostly wildy fantastical stuff involving dragons, dungeons and vampires etc. She is never ( and I seriously mean never) without a book in her hand. She watches TV with a book in her hand.
I have clearly failed as a mother. :?
Does she like Jonny Lee Miller? Then introduce her to the new Mr Knightly - that might get her reading. I think many young women became fans when Colin Firth emerged on our screens in his wet shirt. Personally I always preferred the scene when he is in the bath at Netherfield Park.

I think I just heard a collective grown as the male members of our forum clicked onto the car racing thread. :lol:

In high school we read quite a number of Jane Austen's books (it was a girls school) and I know a couple have popped up in past HSC comparative texts, but not so far for either of my sons, so it sounds like it is up to us as mothers to expose them.

The real challenge lies with getting our boys to read it. The 3 males in my house think it is open season any time I pull out a book or DVD and I challenge them and say watch it with me or read it then come back and give me stick otherwise bugger-off! (excuse my very un-Disney language) :wink:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:12 pm

The real challenge lies with getting our boys to read it.
NNNOOOOO! Don't do it Beth. There are some things we're very very happy to leave alone and leave it to the girls. To maintain the natural balance, it needs to stay that way.

Now talking about that balance ....

[sound of footsteps down the hall and the door closing behind]
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:45 pm

:lol:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Mr Knightley have both played Edmund in different versions of Mansfield Park - yes I'm an Austen tragic. I think, like Australia, the UK has only 12 actors that they just recycle.
Ahhhh, that's where I know him from! Thanks for that, I was watching it with Craig today (well, he was in the room while I was watching it) and I asked him if he recognised him. I knew he was someone from something :lol: That's about as specific as I get these day with baby brain :lol: On the positive side, he happened to notice Mr Woodhouse/Dumbledore and even recognised him as Dumbledore! I was most impressed as he's never seen any of the HP movies except in passing as I was watching them :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Jonny Lee Miller is also Eli Stone

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”