Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

DVD's - what have you seen lately?

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

DVD's - what have you seen lately?

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:30 am

Last weekend I had a rare Sunday off and got to watch some movies for a change.
I don't get to do this as often as I'd like so I wondered what everyone else has seen lately that was good ( or not so good).

First I watched the Darjeeling Limited which really lost me. I very rarely walk away from a movie - even the crappy ones- cos I just HAVE to know the ending. But this one, I only made it 2/3 of the way through before picking up the remote and turning it off. It was the most confusingly, boringly repetitive movie I've seen in a long while. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Owen Wilson and not even he could lift it from absolute rubbish. Anyone else seen this?

The second one turned out to be a mini series - I just kept having to put disks in, and it took me a looooong time to see it all but I LOVED it.
It was an adaptation of the Wizard of Oz called Tin Man and seriously, I am going to buy it next time I see it cos it was brilliant. Much edgier than Judy Garland skipping down the yellow brick road but it had all the best bits reworked into another alternate universe. Still a fairytale, and we all know how it ends, but this was so well done. Well worth watching if you have the time. Starred some great people: Zooey Dachanel, Richard Dreyfuss.

This weekend I hope to see August Rush and The Kingdom.

What has everyone else seen lately?

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: DVD's - what have you seen lately?

Postby calisota » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Just about to plug the HDMI cable into my new setup and watch Pirates in true HIDef. I had to wait for a the cable, which came as part of a package with the PS3, to arrive and when I went in today to see if it was there the guy apologised, said it wasn't and gave me an $80 cable instead of the $29 one I was supposed to get. I walked out pretty happy. Just to show you how much I care about you guys, I'm sitting here typing this instead of playing with my new toy.

Yeah, Tin Man was good but Zooey Deschanel was the only reason I really watched it. Her sister is Emily Deschanel from Bones, another hottie.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Just to show you how much I care about you guys, I'm sitting here typing this instead of playing with my new toy.
:roll: ( Lisa skulks off to watch something on her average sized ordinary tv mumbling under her breath about needing a better paid job)
Yeah, Tin Man was good but Zooey Deschanel was the only reason I really watched it. Her sister is Emily Deschanel from Bones, another hottie.
Oh brother... :roll: Is that the only reason blokes watch movies?
................on second thoughts... go get 'em tiger. :wink:

Lisa. :cat:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Okay, cable plugged in, TV set up and Pirates being played. It is good!! In fact it is so good that it's a little disconcerting just how good the picture is, you can really see all the details, warts and all.

Now I can open up that bottle of coke and packet of chips I've treated myself and sit back and watch the movie while the rain falls heavily outside.

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:12 pm

To quote Keith when I was in DL having a ball .....

"you suck" :D

Say hello to Capt'n Jack for me. :D

Just don't tell me those chips are chicken...... :evil:

Lisa.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Zooey Deschanel
:D :D :D She was the only redeeming thing in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe movie - I could stared into those eyes forever :D
In fact it is so good that it's a little disconcerting just how good the picture is
Yay! Welcome to the real world Greggy - it is like looking through a window isn't it :) It is how movies are meant to be watched. Keep snacking on those chicken chips :twisted:

Have you got a good sound system? I need to upgrade mine because my amp doesn't accept HDMI. So I'm running the PS3 via HDMI to the TV - then the TV is connected via Optical digital to the Amplifier. The problem with that is the TV does not pass through the digital audio from the PS3 to the amp via optical - I'm only getting analogue Dolby ProLogic (this is normal using that type of cable setup - something to do with anti-piracy).

I could run the optical cable direct from the PS3 to the amp and that would work okay, but it would mean unplugging the TV > Amp optical ever time I used the PS3.

My preferred option is to get a new amp with HDMI. Then I'd go PS3 HDMI to Amp, then Amp HDMI to TV - and everyone is happy :)

(Sorry girls, tech-talk!)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:01 pm

Huh????????????

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:02 pm

I am only posting this because it is my 666th post :twisted:

Reminds me of the time I shaved my head - did any of you know me then?

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:12 pm

Huh????????????
Yeah... the only bit of that I understood was the bit about the chicken chips. :shock:
Reminds me of the time I shaved my head - did any of you know me then?
Sandie
OMGosh....Sandie... you shaved your head? :shock: :shock: now that's scary.

Lisa.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:52 pm

PS3 video to TV by HDMI
PS3 audio to amp by optical giving dolby digital ex

I kind of prefer to go directly from source to output rather than passing it through anything, figuring that the more things it has to go through the greater the possibility of mishandling. The amp doesn't do HDMI anyway so this is probably the best option. I've had the speakers for years and at the time they were worth more than my car so I'm happy with them, just upgraded the amp a couple of times. The funny thing is when I first got into all this home theatre stuff I bought a 4:3 68cm TV and everyone who saw it was blown away. Some even said that they would never buy something that big because it was so overwhelming...now look at things.

I've been re-wiring it all for the last couple of days since I no longer need a standalone DVD player. The PS3 even upscales standard DVDs which makes them look sooo good. I've gotten rid of the VCR as well so I'm only left with the PS3, Mystar (can only get Austar but would love HD Foxtel), laserdisc and amp in the cupboard. it's looking a little bare. The beauty of the PS3 is that it's now hooked into the wireless network so I can (whoops, I mean could, if I did that sort of thing) stream stuff I've downloaded from the PC to the TV. It's saved me building a HTPC. I also hooked an av sender into the Mystar so I can watch sport out in the bar on the, now old, 76cm HD TV and that original 68cm is now the "small, bedroom TV".

I'm guessing the next thing will be wall sized TVs that unroll and stick up like wallpaper so that you don't need to look out the window, you just put up a screensaver of Disneyland and pretend you're there. Then 3D at home.

Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Just don't tell me those chips are chicken...... :evil: Lisa.
Pringles sour cream and onion with a tub of sour cream for dipping. The ultimate.

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 pm

PS3 video to TV by HDMI
PS3 audio to amp by optical giving dolby digital ex

I kind of prefer to go directly from source to output rather than passing it through anything, figuring that the more things it has to go through the greater the possibility of mishandling. The amp doesn't do HDMI anyway so this is probably the best option. I've had the speakers for years and at the time they were worth more than my car so I'm happy with them, just upgraded the amp a couple of times. The funny thing is when I first got into all this home theatre stuff I bought a 4:3 68cm TV and everyone who saw it was blown away. Some even said that they would never buy something that big because it was so overwhelming...now look at things.

I've been re-wiring it all for the last couple of days since I no longer need a standalone DVD player. The PS3 even upscales standard DVDs which makes them look sooo good. I've gotten rid of the VCR as well so I'm only left with the PS3, Mystar (can only get Austar but would love HD Foxtel), laserdisc and amp in the cupboard. it's looking a little bare. The beauty of the PS3 is that it's now hooked into the wireless network so I can (whoops, I mean could, if I did that sort of thing) stream stuff I've downloaded from the PC to the TV. It's saved me building a HTPC. I also hooked an av sender into the Mystar so I can watch sport out in the bar on the, now old, 76cm HD TV
Lordy.... is some of that even English? :shock:
You must be planning to watch a WHOLE LOT of TV. :shock:

and that original 68cm is now the "small, bedroom TV".
Greg
And that would be why.... its really bad Feng Shui having electrical stuff in your bedroom. :wink:
Pringles sour cream and onion with a tub of sour cream for dipping. The ultimate. Greg
Well you're lucky.... I wouldn't fight you for sour cream and onion anything.

Although, Pirates strikes me as more of a BBQ type of movie to me.

Lisa.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 pm

Today I watched 3 DVDs :shock: A couple of Jane Austen's (these get a run fairly regularly) and at the insistence of my 15 year old who just saw Dark Knight I had to watch Batman Begins. Well I'm sitting in a children's ward that has been closed due to a gastro bug so they won't even let me out to buy a coffee!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Well I'm sitting in a children's ward that has been closed due to a gastro bug so they won't even let me out to buy a coffee!
Have fun!!!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:04 pm

Well I'm sitting in a children's ward that has been closed due to a gastro bug so they won't even let me out to buy a coffee!
Oh wow .... :shock: We need to send you a care package. No coffee is harsh... :?

Lisa.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”