Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Valentine's Day

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Valentine's Day

Postby KeithS » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:38 pm

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone out there!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Judging by the huge response to this thread, either everyone had a non-event Valentines Day or one so good that it couldn't be discussed :wink:

I was in Adelaide at the time and spent an enjoyable chunk of the day touring and taste testing and then ultimately purchasing too much Haigh's Chocolates from their factory. ( Quite possibly Australia's best choccy)

Ok, so, usually a late Valentine gesture is frowned upon.
But today I got quite possibly one of the best Valentines greetings in the mail that any girl could want.
Yep, all the way from the US of A.
A lovely glossy ( kinda huge) cut out post card from none other than my main squeeze.....
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 pm

MICKEY MOUSE. -/ -/

How did that happen I hear you ask? Well, I have two good friends that were in the States for CHA ( the largest craft and hobby trade fair in the world) . They'd invited me to go with them, seeing as it was in Anaheim so I could go with them to DL as well.
Unfortunately, I couldn't go :( so they sent me the next best thing. A Valentine from Mickey.
Now the jury is still out as to whether Mickey himself signed this card, but if he didn't then they did an amazing job copying it. And from this vantage point, I'm opting for the delusion that the signature on the card and the valentine greeting are from the mouse himself. :)

That is going to take some topping.

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm

Well done Lisa, can't ask much more than that.

My response or clearly lack of it reflects my feelings on Valentine. I don't participate or even mention it. I figure that if I can't express feelings any other day of the year either through gratuitous overpriced merchandise or a simple gesture, then why can I do it on a day that someone tells me I have to.

Sounds like you had a great time in Adelaide. Those wineries are something down there, and Haigs choccy is up there with the best thats for sure. Did you to the shop on Rundle Mall or is there a factory somewhere else?
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:22 pm

I don't participate or even mention it. I figure that if I can't express feelings any other day of the year either through gratuitous overpriced merchandise or a simple gesture, then why can I do it on a day that someone tells me I have to.
Sheesh... not that old chestnut... :roll: although, you sound like you have a grasp on what are the requirements for the other 364 days of the year, the trick is... to actually do it.

Unfortunately I didn't get to the wineries - despite my sister and her hubby living just down the road from a very good one. I am well acquainted with SA though, having roamed all over the state countless times with my family as a kid. Regular pilgrimages to the Haigh's factory are a must - yep, the factory and its associated outlet shop. We were in SA for my new nephews baptism and to catch up with all my family.
Lisa

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:32 am

Sheesh... not that old chestnut... :roll: although, you sound like you have a grasp on what are the requirements for the other 364 days of the year, the trick is... to actually do it.
That's my way of thinking. Why spoil 'em for one day when you can do it for a year!

That was an early baptism wasn't it? The baby would only be a couple of months old.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:31 am

Why spoil 'em for one day when you can do it for a year!
Exactly right of course. The problem being that so many tend to forget to add that sprinkle of pixie dust everyday so they need reminding on the 14th of Feb.
That was an early baptism wasn't it? The baby would only be a couple of months old.
yep ( well sort of) and yep. Anywhere between a couple of months to 6 months is pretty usual in the Lutheran church. I'm of German descent and my family were in the original boatload of Lutherans escaping religious persecution in Prussia ( it wasn't even Germany yet) that were the first Europeans to settle in the Barossa Valley. I have a lot of rellies in SA.
And as for the other yep.... They decided on a relatively early baptism because Reuben has not had an easy first 8 weeks. He developed a life threatening condition that required surgery to reverse but is now getting deliciously chubbier by the day. :D
~ Lisa ~

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:41 am

Your family heritage sounds fascinating. Those first "German" settlers created what the Barossa is today even down to names of the villages and streets and architecture.

I hope that all works out well for little Reuben and that he is able to grow up being healthy.

And on your first point, thats fair enough for those that need reminding!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Now the jury is still out as to whether Mickey himself signed this card, but if he didn't then they did an amazing job copying it. And from this vantage point, I'm opting for the delusion that the signature on the card and the valentine greeting are from the mouse himself.
Actually Mickey probably did sign it - I have had him sign postcards and sent them on to others at home.

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Everyone has interesting ancestral stories I'm sure. I know a lot about that side of my family all the way back to Prussian days, but would like to explore my dad's side more - I only know the basics of his biological parents/half brothers. I haven't even met any of them. I plan to do that one day, if only to delve into the family stories that I'm sure are there.
Actually Mickey probably did sign it - I have had him sign postcards and sent them on to others at home.
Cool -/

It does look authentic, but I haven't asked yet - My friends are still severely jet-lagged. :)

~ Lisa ~

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”