Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Some Urgent Help Please

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Some Urgent Help Please

Postby ajp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:15 am

During our recent shopping spree online (that 30% sale was dangerous you know), we purchased some electrical items, including 2 christmas light things. I had a couple of adaptors and thought they would suffice, but after about half an hour, it appears I have burnt them out. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/advice on how to handle the US electrical stuff in our system and what I can do to possibly fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:56 am

Hmmm...need some more detail Anthony. Did they come supplied with a transformer (black brick that plugs into the wall?) If so, and you used that, then it probably fried it as US power supply is only 110volts, where as we use a 240 volt system.

Most US -> Australian adaptors just change the pin arrangements, they do not downgrade the voltage.

Now - if the item you purchased did have a black transformer, you may be lucky and it just burnt out the transformer and not the lights themselves. In which case, you can probably get a 240v transformer from Dick Smith etc. You need to know how many volts the product takes (the US transformer will have it printed on it) and buy a 240v version with the same voltage output.

Hope this helps a little (and I hope you get them working!)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks Keith, I think you've given me enough information to tell me that I fried the lights so I'll probably have to change them or even rewire it. :cry: No they didn't come with a transformer, and I probably should get one. I did think that the converters were enough, so that's an error on my part.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”