Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Christmas trees - Green Vs Tinsel

The place to discuss the things that may not be strictly Disney.
mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Christmas trees - Green Vs Tinsel

Postby mushu mama » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 am

Just a random Non- Disney thought I decided to throw out there and see what others chose.

So I was in Big W today and noticed that they had the obligatory Christmas tree display all set up and getting picked over already.

But the thing that caught my eye was the huge Black tinsel Christmas tree covered in black and silver decos.

I already own 4 Christmas trees - yep, 4. One 8' green 'lifelike' one, one 6' something pure white one, one waist height one (well, my waist, so its not all that high I guess) and another 2' fibre optic one that is pretty amazing ( not even going to mention the half a dozen or so smaller ones that dot the house ). And as most women will attest, there is no such thing as too many Christmas decos so I pondered buying yet another tree...
The jury was out amongst my workmates as to the appropriateness of a black Christmas tree.
Some thought it looked stylish and interesting. Some thought it looked more like there had been a bushfire through the loungeroom and green was the only way to go.

I was really surprised at the response from my workmates over the green VS coloured trees(be they tinsel, fibre optic, and the like). I have all of the above so obviously it doesn't worry me (although my white one is the current favourite and the one that will get a whirl this year again)

So are you a 'green tree' or an 'anything goes' tree person? :)

and while I'm at it.... do you decorate it with a theme or just throw everything you have at it for that 'full to overflowing' look?

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:09 am

To start, don't theme it, just decorate it. The full to overflowing look is OK, and that way it doesn't matter when you buy new things, they just go on year after year with the old stuff! (well I am male!)

Green versus colour? We have Green, but then it is over 17 years old, so when we bought it, green was pretty well it. I do like looking at the white ones in the shops, but I have never seen Black, and can't imagine what it would look like. Having never seen it, I don't think I would like it, but then this is Australia, and what is a bush without a bushfire!

If we were to replace ours, I'd go for a green tree with snow tips. i think that sums up what a tree should be and combines our Australian conditions with the tradition of a whitye christmas.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:04 pm

We've got a green one too. Not because of any dislike of other colours, but rather because I am a man, and when men go shopping for things, we ALWAYS take the easy way out.

So when I headed into K-Mart and saw a thousand green trees, I didn't have to think or look too hard and just picked one up. Then straight back into the car and home - easy, with no browsing or fuss required :)

I used to have a white one some years ago, but green is the norm. I replace my tree every few years (usually if it is too dusty when I get it out of the garage, it gets chucked - I'm too lazy to clean it thoroughly!)

Della has a blow up Christmas tree that gets a run most years. I love it! It is pretty big, made of clear plastic with coloured printed christmasy things on it. It even has built in blow up balls, stars etc :) Takes only seconds to erect and is the most humourous tree I've ever seen.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:22 pm

But themes can be really gorgeous. It must be a girl thing.

On my huge green one I just throw everything I have at it - artfully - and it is the traditional memories tree.

The white one is my theme tree. This year, in honour of it being my first Christmas by the sea, its going to be covered in 'sea' stuff.... shells, tiny bits of driftwood tied on with green tinsel, strings of pearls, and maybe an Ariel even. With a white starfish on the top ( for the star).

Oh... and I'm a tree Nazi - I do it all. Every piece has to be where I want it and it takes me hours and hours to get it how I want it.
Practically the only thing that I am pedantic about. But its not negotiable.
I'm sure there will be associated guilt about not letting my kids do it at some point but they are teenagers and it hasn't kicked in yet. :D

I love the sound of the blow up tree ....
~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:02 pm

I would love a black tree - it would match my 5ft black wreath with Nightmare Before Christmas Decos - might get it out prior to your visit Lisa!!!!

My 7ft green tree does not have a theme except that each deco is unique - i have over 280 decorations for it and each is special and different to me!

One day I am going to do a scrapbook on them and their stories!

By the way I am also a Christmas junkie and i have a bonus - my sister works at the Christmas Cave so I get discounts!

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 pm

it would match my 5ft black wreath with Nightmare Before Christmas Decos - might get it out prior to your visit Lisa!!!!
Yes please... I'd love to see that. :)
i have over 280 decorations for it and each is special and different to me!
Yep. I have hundreds of decos too and the same thing, each one has a memory attached. I have bought a special deco for each of my kids each year since they were born so that when they leave home they take with them a box of treasures choc full of memories. They get to put theirs on each year.
One day I am going to do a scrapbook on them and their stories!
Yep, have started that but it'll take a while cos each one needs to be journaled. :)
By the way I am also a Christmas junkie and i have a bonus - my sister works at the Christmas Cave so I get discounts!
I think I said an audible 'OH' when I read that. Card carrying Christmas Junkie here too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas.

So did I buy the black tree?
You bet I did. :D Well, I ordered it.

Now I just need a whole stack of HM and NMBC decos to do it justice.

I love my forest of Christmas trees. :)

~ Lisa ~

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:38 pm

I think I said an audible 'OH' when I read that. Card carrying Christmas Junkie here too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas.
If you don't fly home to early we can go visit her at work.

I have bought a special deco for each of my kids each year since they were born so that when they leave home they take with them a box of treasures choc full of memories. They get to put theirs on each year.
Too bad for my kids - I am not parting with any of mine!

The only Christmas trees I do not get are the upside down ones - what is that about?

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:01 pm

If you don't fly home to early we can go visit her at work.
wicked.... :D I have been told before that I need to leave my credit card with a designated driver when I visit either a Christmas shop, scrapping shop and lingerie shops... can I trust you with my card Sandie? :wink:
I am not parting with any of mine!
Yeah, that will be a wrench, I've got kind of attached to them but I see it this way, I'll have a whole lot of room on the tree for new decos. :)
The only Christmas trees I do not get are the upside down ones - what is that about?
Yep, there's a line where arty becomes just plain stupid... I think they are over that line. :) Call me set in my ways but I like my trees the right way up.

~ Lisa ~

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:46 am

I need to leave my credit card with a designated driver when I visit either a Christmas shop, scrapping shop and lingerie shops... can I trust you with my card Sandie?
ummm yeah sure ............ :wink:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:09 pm

.. thats reassuring. .... :D Maybe I'll just hang onto it and hope my resolve kicks in at some point.

~ Lisa ~

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:35 pm

I saw the best Christmas tree ever today... :)

It wasn't remotely like a Christmas tree other than it had coloured fairy lights all over it ....

it was a Palm tree 'Christmas tree'

I loved it instantly.... trouble is, two new Christmas trees in a year might be going too far even for me. :roll:

it was wicked though....

~ Lisa ~

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney Free”