Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

HKDL gets an extra Mushu

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

HKDL gets an extra Mushu

Postby mushu mama » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:28 pm

Well, I've finally decided.....

HKDL it is.

And I'll get to see the park dressed up for Christmas :D :D

I've even put in for my holidays so thats it... I'm going. I just have to hope that my time off is approved, and then I can start booking stuff.

So by mid November ( all things going to plan) There'll be an extra Mushu in HKDL.

So of course the most pressing questions ( and I have many) are ....
what was the name and address of the shop Della got her Mickey Phone :wink:
and where can I find the churro cart? :) its been a long time between churros.

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:31 am

Wow - that is totally awesome Lisa! HKDL is a cool little park. How long are you heading up there for? Where are you staying?

I'm not sure that HKDL has Churros unfortunately - at least I cannot remember seeing them.

The Disney phone came from a store near Nathan Road, Kowloon (Fortress, I think it was called - but there are many electronic stores down there) - but when we went back in September, that store didn't have it, but other shops there did - shop around because the prices varied a lot!

Post questions here and I'll answer them as best I can.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Loomis
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Loomis » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:52 am

Also, don't forget to visit your friendly, neighbourhood HKDL Source (linked in my sig).

I won't be getting back until May next year, but I'd really love to see the park during Christmas!

Please remember me when you return, as we always enjoy posting fan photos from the park!

Likewise, if you have any questions, we'd be all too willing to help you plan. The three of us at the site have been there multiple times over the last two years, so we might have a few answers to your questions.

Hope you have a blast!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:38 pm

I'm not sure that HKDL has Churros unfortunately
OH NO... :shock:
Lets hope you just didn't see them.... they had them in Japan so I was just assuming they'd be at all the parks.
How long are you heading up there for? Where are you staying?
At this stage I'm aiming at second week in November ( leave approval pending, and it could go either way, despite having more than enough leave owing :evil: .) for a week. Enough time to do the park properly and a few days shopping.

I'm looking into a couple of days in Kowloon first, then 3 nights in the Hollywood Hotel at HKDL and then another night in Kowloon to do some more shopping and then home. Just a quick break really. I am trying to balance all the leave I want over the next 6 months for other stuff so I don't want to use all that I have accrued in one go. I am still hoping to get to TDL with the club and want some time off when I become an aunty in the new year ( I owe my sister big time)
The package that I'm toying with also has 2 days tickets to HKDL thrown in, tours of Lantau Island and Ocean Park and all the possible transfers.

I'm still deciding whether to go with this package or put together my own arrangements/flights minus the tours and by buying an AP which would force me to go back next year before it expired. :) which would be such a hardship huh?
Although, the package is such good value, I could still buy the cheapest AP ( and have all the associated bonuses to use on the next visit too) for the extra day I plan to visit and perhaps still be in front without having to spend the time working out all the details myself.

The Agent I spoke to assured me that HK is a relatively safe place for me to be traveling alone, but that still is worrying me a bit.
Also, don't forget to visit your friendly, neighbourhood HKDL Source
Yep... spent a lot of time there already, and will continue to as I make my plans. Its a great site.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Christmas decos... I saw TDL in its 'Christmas suit' and that was just breathtaking. I can't wait to do my Christmas shopping there. :)
we always enjoy posting fan photos from the park!
Not a problem, I love showing off my pics... :)
And if I manage to get a decent shot of me and Mushu I might even update my avatar here.... Course I love my little mushu so I might not either.

I am going to have so many questions so that will be great to have some insight from those that have been there... thanks.
so here is the first one...
Is 3 days in the park enough if I want to do it without having to rush?
I want to see every show, do lots of shopping and just take it slow and soak up the 'Pixie Dust'.

All I have to do now is wait to see if my leave gets approved. ( I need that praying smiley that we used to have )

~ Lisa ~ :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

alice in wonderland
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby alice in wonderland » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi Lisa

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE HONG KOng DIsneyland. I went when it wa only 4 weeks olc and i had a ball. The hollywood hotel is so much fun, the cast members are so lovely and friendly.

Another great shop in kowloon for disney merchandise is a chain called Trendyland. They have a few stores and they sell all cheap disney items. I went crazy. Ill find the address for you later.

COngrats on your trip. It is only 146 days till my 3 week trip to WDW and the DIsneycruise line. I cant wait!

Love Jess
I have no holidays planned to disney for a while....how depressing...i will just have to live through all your adventures!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:53 am

so here is the first one...
Is 3 days in the park enough if I want to do it without having to rush?
I want to see every show, do lots of shopping and just take it slow and soak up the 'Pixie Dust'.
No problem in the world - 3 days will be great to comfortably take it all in, experience the atmosphere, ride all the rides multiple times, and see all the shows multiple times!

As for travelling alone, Hong Kong is very safe and you will not feel threatened whilst there. Just remember to ignore all the hawkers trying to sell you "copy-watches" - pirated Rolexes etc :)

We just used public transport everywhere - buses and trains - both are fantastic and easy to get around with. The half-day Hong Kong tours are usually pretty good to - you used to be able to book them from the tourist information centre at the old Star Ferry terminal in Kowloon, but that centre has probably moved since the terminal closed earlier this year - but I'm guessing it will be nearby.

Oh - the fun you are going to have :)
Keith

Trip history:

Loomis
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Loomis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:55 pm

While it is true that you could probably see everything in the park in a single day, you’d still be rushing things a little. To get the full Disney experience, however, a bit of time to simply “soak up the atmosphere” is probably needed. For this reason, I can easily recommend a 3-night stay at the Resort. The first night will be needed to absorb the hotel and surrounding grounds, the second day is for the park and the final day is purely to relax and enjoy that Disney magic. However, anything more than three nights may be a bit extreme, especially given how removed the Resort is from the rest of Hong Kong.

What we wound up doing was spending 7 nights in Hong Kong - 4 in Kowloon, 3 in Disney's Hollywood Hotel. That was good for us, but I reckon 3 or 4 nights would give you plenty of time to wander Hong Kong and see the park in full. The place is so geographically compact, it doesn't really matter where you stay.

Don't forget to buy your Octopus card!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Another great shop in kowloon for disney merchandise is a chain called Trendyland. They have a few stores and they sell all cheap disney items. I went crazy. Ill find the address for you later.
Thanks for that Jess. I'd love the address. Any info on shopping is always handy :wink:
Just remember to ignore all the hawkers trying to sell you "copy-watches" - pirated Rolexes etc
Actually, touts and hawkers don't really worry me overly - unless they are really aggressive. I've been to Bali multiple times and my bargaining/avoidance skills are well honed. The only place they seemed more desperate was Fiji for some reason... they were a little scary.
A Mickey phone is definitely on the cards though. A new camera is a possibility too. Have to do a little more research on that yet though.
Don't forget to buy your Octopus card!
Ok... I won't.... but um... what is it :?: and where do I get it?

More shopping questions.....
when I was in TDL (1999) there were no pins, very little clothing in anything other than tiny sizes and lots and lots of food gifts and little trinkets. Do they do the 'gift for every member of your entire extended family' thing in HKDL too or is there a broader range of merchandise to buy?
Do they do the 'pressed penny' thing too? I love those.
how much money(AU or HKD) should I allow per meal in the park?

Notice how I went straight for the important questions first? ( food and shopping :) )

I'm still thinking about getting an AP too. The cheapest one is really reasonable and has lots of benefits and I won't be at Disney on a weekend so the block out days wouldn't effect me anyway.

I'm really looking forward to the fireworks soundtrack on the TV - do all the rooms face the park or is there a 'correct side' I need to request?
I already know that I'd be in a Garden room.

I could see the fireworks from my room in the Hilton overlooking the park in TDL but there was no music - you had to go to the park for that.

Oh... and the best part of today? verbal ok for my leave dates. :)
Just have to wait for the rubber stamp now.

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:26 pm

when I was in TDL (1999) there were no pins, very little clothing in anything other than tiny sizes and lots and lots of food gifts and little trinkets.
HKDL have plenty of pins, we love collecting the HKDL ones. They also do some great aniversary pins and pin sets - you should be able to get the 2nd aniversary ones when you are there. HKDL also does a lot of food gifts - mainly cookies and they are in very nice little tins.
Do they do the 'pressed penny' thing too? I love those.
Yep :D
how much money(AU or HKD) should I allow per meal in the park?
Meals were cheap - much cheaper than the US or Paris. Loomis may be able to advise on current prices.
do all the rooms face the park or is there a 'correct side' I need to request?
Nope - not all rooms face the park. I've had a Garden room both times I've been there. The first time we did face the park, the second time we didn't!

When we faced the park, we were on one of the lower floors above the lobby facing the park. You couldn't see over the berm into DL - but it didn't stop a fabulous view of the fireworks!

The "Park View" rooms are the same side of the hotel (above the lobby entrance) but higher up so that you can see into the park better.

The "Sea View" rooms face the sea (obviously).

I think the "Garden View" rooms are either the lower floors (in any direction) or the end wings. If you want to see the fireworks from your room, see if you can get one above the lobby facing the front of the hotel - you WILL get a view of the fireworks from there. But the best view of the fireworks is by sitting in the hub facing the Castle! :)
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:17 pm

Couple more quick questions....

what is the best currency to take?

I know what an Octopus Card is now, but can anyone tell me more about is mystical workings?

Has anyone else been to Ocean Park? I get tickets in the package I'm looking at but only really want to see the Panda's there. I was thinking I might spend half a day there and the rest of the day elsewhere - if I can figure out how to get elsewhere.

I'm really looking forward to the Golden Mickey's, Lion King show, the Stitch encounter and all that Chinese food... ok, well...... all of it really :D

Oh... and meeting Mushu... that's going to be a highlight.....

~ Lisa ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:01 pm

what is the best currency to take?
Hong Kong Dollars :) Just pick them up (or order them) from your local bank. There is also an ATM in the Hollywood Hotel, so if you run short, you can withdraw cash there.

I know what an Octopus Card is now, but can anyone tell me more about is mystical workings?
It is a stored value card and is the single most useful thing you will find in Hong Kong! You can get them from all sorts of places, including Octopus booths at MTR stations (that's the Hong Kong railway system), and the airport. You go to the counter and pay a deposit for the card (I think it was $50HKD or something like that) plus however much you wish to store on the card - I initially put around $100HKD on mine. You can top them up at self service machines at the railway stations (including Disneyland's). Once you get the card, you can use them for all your transport needs and also fast/snack food outlets etc. The card just deducts the amount of stored value. It means you never have to buy a train ticket, bus ticket etc. You swipe on, and swipe off - the system determines how far you travelled and deducts the amount from the card. Every time you swipe, it will give you your outstanding balance. And as I said, you can top it up as required. They are accepted all over Hong Kong, including taxis and even at some of the places in Disneyland (such as the Hollywood and Dine diner in the Hollywood Hotel). And at the end of the trip, you can hand the card back at the airport and get your outstanding balance and deposit back. Pretty cool.
I'm really looking forward to the Golden Mickey's, Lion King show, the Stitch encounter and all that Chinese food... ok, well...... all of it really :D
Golden Mickey's - loved it
Lion King - loved it
Stitch - loved it
Chinese food - loved it

:) Yep - you are going to have a great time :)
Keith

Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:22 pm

Lisa! How is the HKDL planning coming along? We haven't heard from you for a few weeks - I hope that is because you are busy planning!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:26 am

Honestly... I haven't given it a thought over the last 3 weeks.

I've been a bit distracted. :D

~ Lisa ~

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Hong Kong Disneyland”