Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

The Hong Kong Disneyland That Never Was

Loomis
B Ticket
B Ticket

The Hong Kong Disneyland That Never Was

Postby Loomis » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:47 am

Much gets said about the budget cuts at HKDL, and how the park was smaller than originally intended. What does that really mean though?

http://news.hkdlsource.com/story/163

In the course of tidying up here at the Source over the last few days, a couple of things occured to us. Firstly, we realised that we didn't have a copy of the original press release/announcement of the park from way back on 2 November 1999. So for that reason, we have faithfully recreated one of those - with a few of our own graphical additions along the way.

However, this got us to thinking: what would Hong Kong Disneyland have looked like if the original plans had been followed? Would it have been that different a park?

http://homepage.hkdlsource.com/park/lostlands

For this purpose, we have created a new page called Lost Lands. In this section, we aren't speculating about forthcoming attractions or pointing fingers at where Disney went wrong. We merely wish to examine those areas of the park that were originally meant to be something else. After all, who doesn't enjoy a bit of armchair Imagineering?

After looking at the above, what do people think? Are they disappointed HKDL didn't go down that path? Angry that there were a whopping twelve additional rides slated? Optimistic for the future of the park?

Let's have a bit of fun with this...

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:42 pm

As soon as I saw the concept art for HKDL on the "Lost" pages... I knew I'd seen it before. I went scuttling through my stack of (the now defunct) Disney Magazines to find the picture. They did an article about the (then) upcoming HKDL park in the spring 2003 edition. It was interesting to read about the emphasis on Feng Shui and the 'unnamed Master' who was orchestrating its use in the design of the park to create 'harmony and good fortune'. One hotel was shifted on the design a few degrees to bring positive chi.

Having only visited one park ( Tokyo) I'm making my observations and suggestions on limited experience in the parks. I'm not overly fussed that they haven't included all the 'staples' of the other parks. I like the idea that there are variances in the rides between parks. It just keeps it all the more interesting. I know that many Americans like to visit the familiar when they travel - whether it be food, accom or the parks. I think for that reason many of the rides are duplicated around the world. But Asia is a different market altogether. In Japan, for instance, Disney Sea is unlike any of the other parks. I think that should be modeled in HKDL too. Not only will it pique the interest of those who are looking for a different Disney experience, but with a more local flavour it will attract more of the local population perhaps. This is of course merely my own speculation .
I am optimistic about the park. Mostly because thats my natural state, but also because of the fact that they haven't followed the exact pattern of elsewhere. There's a lot of talk about it being too small and not enough rides, and I do agree that as they add the most popular rides from the other parks, it will draw more crowds, But I think if they add unique rides/attractions along with them, it will be more beneficial in the long run. I like the idea that I will get a different 'flavour' in each different park.
Getting upset about what might have been is pointless. Its much better to look forward to what eventually transpires in the park. And it being Disney, while there is imagination in the world, then the parks will never be 'finished'.
I for one would love to be an imagineer.... I have endless quantities of out there ideas..... :roll:

OK... thats my thoughts....
I'm sure the rest of you have some too.... lets hear them.

~ Lisa ~
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 am

Everyone knows I have a great love for the Hong Kong park. I've been there a couple of times and I'm thinking of heading up there later this year for the New Year.

I do wish they had opened with maybe three more proper attractions - that would have helped the park attract more visitors. My main worry is the lack of guests to this park - every time I see a trip report, the photos show a fairly empty Main Street. I fear there is not enough current attractions to entice people to return more regularly (except us die-hards who are atmosphere soakers!).

We have to remember a lot of people go to parks to enjoy attractions only - they are not interested in character greeting, riding the Main Street vehicles, visiting the Animation Academy etc - they want to get on something and have fun. This is what is lacking in HKDL and to see they had plans to open with a few more attractions is a bit sad.

That said, I also agree with Lisa in that HKDL (like Tokyo Disney Sea) has the opportunity to do things that break with Disney tradition (and the expectation of US-based annual passholders who decry anything that "Walt would not have done!") Hence we are seeing original changes to It's A Small World etc. I'd love to see them expand on this non-traditional path for HKDL - let them make this a fresh park. I have to admit, they didn't make it that fresh when they opened it - except for Adventureland's Jungle Cruise, most of the other attractions are straight out of the Disney Cookie Cutter - so maybe it was a good thing that they did not build a Frontierland and Toontown straight away - otherwise we would have just got copies of existing attractions, rather than unique variations that the Imagineers now have time to develop.

Anyway, I've rambled on too long - I really want to see HKDL succeed - what has been done there so far is great, it just needs to fill in some of those expansion pads with wonderful new and original adventures - I'm sure that if they build it, the people will come!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Hong Kong Disneyland”