Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

HKDL @ Chinese NY?

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

HKDL @ Chinese NY?

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Ok, well, I've had several attempts at getting there that have not gone according to plan... but recently I decided to just make my plans and see how I go.

What set me off ( apart from the tickers on EVERYONES posts :? ) was a friend asked me to go to CHA ( the biggest scrapbooking trade fair anywhere) in January next year, which is held in Anaheim and then to go to DL with her and her family afterwards. I very seriously considered it but decided against it in the end because there was less and less Disney-ing in the discussions and more and more stuff that didn't feel like a holiday to me.

So... looooong story short, now that the bug has bitten, I need to go somewhere and HKDL might be the go, with the bonus being, it won't cost me as much, is closer and is a new place for me to explore.

So my question is... is it daft considering going over Chinese NY? I love the idea of being there for an event, and the crowds couldn't be worse than Summer vacation in the US on a weekend was ( and I didn't find that all that taxing anyway).

Does anyone know if there are closures on a big scale on the public holidays? or does everything continue but with a festival atmosphere?

Any 'must see/do' outside Disney?

I've spent most of my day researching but up to date stuff hasn't been easy to find.

Ta :D

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: HKDL @ Chinese NY?

Postby ajp » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Not speaking from experience or anything, as never been to Hongkers, but I reckon the cost and availability of accomodation would be a big one to get over. Sure the crowds will be there, but you know that and can manage that, but just the accomodation issue. I'd start booking now if you're not already too late. Might also look at getting the airfare booked very shortly as well.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:59 pm

yep, have got my TA crunching numbers ( as she insists on refering to it - clearly a frustrated accountant) as we speak. It will be busy but the airfares are actually less then than going between now and the regular NY. And I've been looking online all day as well and if I find anything better than her she'll match it. So far, the best price I've found return is $904. They're around $3000 at Christmas/NY. She's checking for any packages that might make everything more compact as well. There seems to be plenty of availability for accom and flights at the moment so the choices are still there.

The entrance fee over Chinese NY is around $55 au for special days ( like Chinese NY) and it falls on Valentines day this next year but the 'special day' fees are applicable from the 15th to the 18th.

My biggest issue is getting holidays approved at work. :evil:

Lisa.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:31 pm

My biggest issue is getting holidays approved at work.
Unless you work with a bunch of Chinese people, that shouldn't be a problem. If it's February, then the xmas/NY sales are over and kiddies back at school.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Very exciting!

On the peak days HKDL sell a set number of park tickets so you can only enter the park if you have tickets dated for that day.

So I think you can safely say that this would be a very busy time not just in the park. Remember there are an awful lot of people in mainland China who can now afford to travel. We really noticed this on the weekends. Local Chinese will also tell you that there is a big difference between locals and mainland Chinese in behaviour and park attitudes. I didn't see this so much but it was a quiet time of year when we went.

I was there the week after new year and all the decorations were still up all over HK and the park was empty. It really is lovely and a great way to get a true cultural experience.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:45 am

Unless you work with a bunch of Chinese people, that shouldn't be a problem. If it's February, then the xmas/NY sales are over and kiddies back at school.
Hmmm.... if only it were that easy. The last weekend I asked for off was so 'inconvenient' ( not sale time mind you... just overlapped another staff members CONSTANT weekends off) I got a verbal warning when I stuck to my guns... despite having a non refundable event I was going to. I've had to cancel more leave than I care to think about and I can't see it changing any time soon... and I'm talking pre-approved leave that just gets yanked at the last second. Leave blackouts tend to just materialise depending on who else wants time off when.
Very exciting!
I was there the week after new year and all the decorations were still up all over HK and the park was empty. It really is lovely and a great way to get a true cultural experience.
Yep, if it all goes to plan. :D I love the idea of being dipped head first into the cultural aspect. The 'busy' bit doesn't worry me overly.

any advice will be gratefully received.

Lisa. */

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:39 am

any advice will be gratefully received.
Don't throw your children over the fence!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Don't throw your children over the fence!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sage advice... but I'm not taking the kids. My daughter is saving for a month long treking/community project sojourn to Borneo with World Challenge and going to dig up Dinosaurs in Winton so she won't be spending any of her precious hard earned trip(s) money. And my son would rather buy another car... mine still lives under the carport and his two cars( so far :roll: ) take up the entire double lock up garage. :evil:

Lisa. :D

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:09 pm

I would happily go back to HKDL, particularly when you see some of the deals. The Hollywood Hotel has some great deals. I'm going to bide my time until they have finished more of the expansion.

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:02 pm

HKDL ia great, we stayed at the Dinseyland Hotel and i would stay their again in a heart beat. Much closer to the park than the Hollywood Hotel and less tacky. We did visit the hotel just to check it out, it had much less character. The Disneyland Hotel was a magical 10 minute walk, through lovely kept gardens with Disney music playing in the back ground.

The park itself is very small, I just got back from LA Disneyland on Friday, and whilst LA is much larger we would still revisit Hong Kong DL, it captures all the magic for sure.

We found everything cheaper in HKDL, after going through all the things we purchased in LA, we would have bought twice the amount in HKDL.

The castmembers are very nice (everyone speaks english), the park is extremely clean, the food is very nice (alot less junk in comparison to LA DL).

If you particular like thrill rides I'd suggest either Toyko Disney or LA Disneyland, we found ourselves going on Space Mountain over and over and over again, like 8 times in a row (very light crowds).

I can't wait for the future expansions, they look great, its the closest park and with two small kids its a big plus.
Rick

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Just a little update....

was at the TA today and got an update on flights over Chinese NY and accom.... still plentiful and at great prices - she found better ones than I had online. Haven't booked yet - am still waiting on a couple of quotes on tours etc and possible options for accom ( due to a mix up in email addies :roll: ) There is a lot of 'movement' going on in my company right now, so am kind of watching how that plays out before applying for leave. I'm also moving house in the next couple of months so it depends how much that costs me as well.

At the moment, its looking like should this be a goer in Feb, I will be splitting my time between Kowloon and closer to the park. And if I can't get leave then, I will just take it later in the year.

Lisa. :cat:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:55 am

A busy time ahead Lisa!

We did the same kind of split - 4 nights in Kowloon and 3 nights in Disney's Hollywoood Hotel. I spent 2 days in the park while the rest of my group spent only 1 day, so on the second day they caught the trip back into HK. It was about 1/2hr, excellent transportation and was not difficult at all in fact 2 of our group didn't go to the park at all :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: even though they stayed in the hotel with us and they just travelled in and out every day with no hassle. So it's not that far.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:21 pm

So while everyone else is enjoying the DUD Christmas break up picnic, I am researching for my possible trip to Hong Kong next year. ( in and around the storms going on here today, house hunting and my daughter chipping a tooth :evil: ) Just wondering if anyone who has been to HKDL might have a spare or would be willing to photo copy a park map for me to play with while I am planning? I'm thinking seeing it in hard copy might make it easier for me ( as weird as that sounds) cos I am only online sporadically as I have a mobile stick rather than broadband through the landline.

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Lisa. */

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Lisa - I've found an older one online here:
http://hisamwong.com/images/HK_Disneyland_Map.jpg

It is missing Small World and Autopia and a few little things - if I can find a newer version, I'll pass it on.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks Keith.... :D

Lisa. */

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Hong Kong Disneyland”