Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Food in HKDL

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Food in HKDL

Postby mushu mama » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:56 pm

I was just thinking about how in the TDL thread you guys were talking about what would compel you to visit the park in HK.

I went for a spin around the HKDL site and was really surprised by how much there actually was to do. I hadn't taken much notice of that aspect... I just wanted to go because its a Disney park.

The food alone had me wanting to book a ticket. Wow... is it really as interesting as it looks in the pictures? All that wonderful Chinese food had me salivating.
I've always wanted to go to HK/China and it wouldn't take much to convince me to add that onto the proposed trip to Japan sometime next year. Especially as it is so close and only takes a couple of days to do the whole park. I figure a couple of days in the park and a few days wandering the streets of HK after my trip to Tokyo/Kyoto and I'd be happy.

Is that what you and Ros were intending to do Anthony?

I think I'd want to eat my way around the HKDL park... :oops: cos Chinese food is one of my all time favourites.

Or maybe it'd be better to do the smaller park first then hit Tokyo for a more intensive experience?

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Food in HKDL

Postby ajp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Is that what you and Ros were intending to do Anthony?
Yeah that was pretty well it Lisa. We had planned about 5 or 6 days in Hong Kong total, staying the whole time at HKDL only because, aside from the Holiday Inn at Kowloon, it's the only place to sleep 4. But knowing that HKDl was light on attractions or rides, we knew that it was big on food as well as the shows. We really do want to see the shows they have.

We also wanted to see the other theme park there, it looks good, as well as the City Light show, which is all controlled by computer, from Sydney! Maybe not this time though, but it will happen.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Do you mean Ocean Park?

I looked into that about this time last year when I was thinking of a quick trip at the time. I think I'd like to visit there too. - they have Panda's right? that alone be enough to get me there.

With so many of our group having been to HK, has anyone been to Ocean Park?

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:35 pm

I didn't go to Ocean Park although I did drive past it. It looked big but I have no idea what is in there.

For me I think one day is enough at HKDL but you need at least 2 or 3 days in HK itself.

Too be honest I didn't really try much of the food in the park although I did have the dim sum in the Plaza Inn just to see what it was like. I had this thought in the back of my head that the food in the park would be a "takeaway chinese" version of real chinese food in the same way that other theme park food is usually of the chips and burger variety and I was trying to eat in strange out of the way places outside the park. I was tempted by the fish ball cart though just because I thought it was really funny that there was a fish ball cart.

The Plaza Inn was nice and from memory I had a feast or taster selection which filled me up with a good variety. I had a table covered in bamboo steamers at one point.

If you do go and get there some way other than by train then you have to take the Disney train even if it's just to the next station and then back again.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:59 pm

I've done a couple of trips to Hong Kong and it is a great little park. The City is awesome as well.

You can do the park at a leisurely pace in 2 days (including talking to character etc). You can do it in a single day if you are by yourself and just want to do the attractions.

I found the food there very good, no matter what restaurant or eatery I tried. Plenty of variety. The Chinese food at the Tahitian Terrace was pretty good and I really like the Corner Cafe at the end of Main Street for western food. I've never been into the Plaza Inn - that'll be for my next trip!

We also drove past Ocean Park but never visited. It has a lot more thrill rides and yes, I believe Pandas live there.

The City Lights show is okay, but we went on a fairly foggy night and were slightly underwhelmed - maybe on a clear night it is more spectacular.

Staying at the resort is a good idea. The hotels are beautiful and you are out of the hustle and bustle and noise at night - plus the train is so efficient that it is only 20 minutes to the centre of Hong Kong.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:18 am

If HKDL is anything like Tokyo, then I'd expect there to be all sorts of Chinese 'stuff' - like traditions, clothing, food - and I'd want to absorb that as much as the Disney fix. That was a huge part of the experience in Japan. That might take me a couple of days once I've done the shows and met all the characters I can... especially Mushu :wink:
So I'm thinking 2 days might be the go for doing the park.

I had this thought in the back of my head that the food in the park would be a "takeaway chinese" version of real chinese food in the same way that other theme park food is
So was it? I hadn't imagined that at all... I thought being in China it'd be fairly authentic.
I was tempted by the fish ball cart though just because I thought it was really funny that there was a fish ball cart.
Yeah... :) I saw that when I was checking out the HKDL site and might have said out loud "Fish balls? :shock: " struck me as pretty funny too....
The Plaza Inn was nice and from memory I had a feast or taster selection which filled me up with a good variety. I had a table covered in bamboo steamers at one point.
Like Yum Cha? I used to do that all the time when I lived in Melbourne... never did go near the rooster feet... not eating anything that has been stepping in what they would no doubt have been stepping in.

One thing I really enjoyed when I was in the US ( and became a daily habit) was to try a different lolly every day... taffy and chocolate covered cherries were the favourites. Its a tradition I intend to continue.
I hope the Chinese eat lollies.... :shock:

Lisa. -/

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:27 pm

I love traditional Chinese food too and I really enjoyed the food at HKDL. There is really only one non-Chinese food place and that was in Tomorrowland. On a previous thread I posted this first photo from a breakfast at the Plaza Inn - fantastic!

Great lunch here!

However there is a great lack of sweets, Asians just don't do sweets!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Whoa :shock: that looks wicked.... :P
However there is a great lack of sweets, Asians just don't do sweets!
UUUHHHHHHH.....(sharp intake of breath) :shock: :shock:

I know they do them in Japan... oh well... that right there has become my next challenge....
"Discovering Sweet Asia".... look for it in all good bookstores by this time next year....
If anyone can sniff out sugar its me.... :wink:

................ And I'm going to taste test every last morsel. -/ -/
( Hmm... always wanted to write a food book.... )

Lisa */

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Whoa :shock: that looks wicked.... :P
It looked better than it tasted! I have reputation of being rather dog-on-a-bone like in trying to track down decent Asian sweets but I am yet to find any that meet my standards. Give me Italian sweets, South American, French, German, Lebanese, Greek ... but Asian... :(

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:40 pm

I know they do them in Japan...
Spot on. There are not lots of sweets in Hong Kong - but Japan is the complete opposite.

In Hong Kong, we found there was more interest in savory things, like biscuits etc - rather than chocolate and sugary cakes.

I forgot about the Banquet Hall - you can get a really good, cheap meal there - we ate a three course dinner for a ridiculously cheap price.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:52 pm

There HAS to be some sweet stuff in China...
Thats not sounding all that encouraging you guys. I'll just have to apply myself to finding some sweet Asian food.

Lisa. */

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:00 pm

There HAS to be some sweet stuff in China...
Chocolate dipped deep fried locusts?

Sandie

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:15 pm

Chocolate dipped deep fried locusts?
Sandie
I'd be in that!

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:16 pm

hmmmm... bit crunchy maybe.... :shock:

the chocolate would be ok though...

Lisa. */

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Hong Kong Disneyland”