Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

New Hotel at Tokyo Disneyland opens

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

New Hotel at Tokyo Disneyland opens

Postby mushu mama » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Looking at the photos of the new Celebration Hotel at Tokyo Disneyland Resort, and it makes me want to book another trip to Japan... We haven't stayed in a Disney hotel in Japan, but this one just might be affordable as a value resort ( I think I read that it was anyway)... I want one of the teacup seats right off the bat.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: New Hotel at Tokyo Disneyland opens

Postby KeithS » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:25 am

It does look pretty good. It is a long way from the resort but they do have a complimentary shuttle bus, so it looks like a viable option for staying in a Disney hotel there.

We are going to Tokyo next year and was surprised by how much the resort hotels cost now (and I'm just talking partner hotels, not Disney ones.) We still haven't booked as we are uncertain what option to pick.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:26 pm

We're looking at New Year 2018 and doing HKDL and Shanghai ( and possibly South Korea) and we were talking about the price increases since our last trip too... seems to have shot up since the Americans have finally discovered the Asian parks.  Disney youtubers are flocking there in droves at the moment and its really started a ground swell of people wanting to make the trip from the US.  I think for us, we'd likely only stay a couple nights in a Disney hotel and transfer to a good neighbour one for the rest of our stay.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

Rebecca
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Rebecca » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:12 pm

We've never been to Tokyo Disneyland or Sea and are looking at going next year. Any tips or advice where to start? We'll be taking the little ones with us. They'll be 3 and just over one at the time.
Trip history:
Disneyland: NYE 2008, 2015, 2018 January and September
Disneyland Paris: 2010

Rebecca
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Rebecca » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Sorry! Just realised I shoved the above comment in any old thread LOL. I think because it was most recent.
Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:02 pm

All good Rebecca :)  I have been away for a few days or I'd have answered you sooner ...
I've travelled with kids to the Tokyo parks and its quite doable.  Allow for rest times during the day, especially if you go in the hot summer months.. ( I'd recommend a milder time of year actually).  Tokyo Disneyland is pretty flat so will be fine if you have a stroller, but Tokyo DisneySea has a few terraces that might make it a little more 'adventurous' to traverse, but still doable.  Even though it makes it more expensive to arrive later in the day in regard to transfers, ( the airport transfer bus only runs in business hours I think - we took a private transfer but for us was so worth it), it is also great for the kids to settle so they can sleep and you can rest before tackling the park.  The Disney hotels are expensive, (but worth it), but I've stayed in 3 of the good neighbour hotels over the years and they are excellent, and great to keep the costs down when you have little ones in tow. There is a supermarket in Ikspiari shopping complex which is on the monorail loop and that is great for snacks for the rooms and breakfast stuff if you want something more like home to eat(unlike WDW there is a small charge to use the monorail - just buy a ticket that lasts for a few days and it is really worth it to be able to return to the hotel for rests).  Although, the Sheraton has a lovely coffee shop in the foyer which has very reasonable breakfast/supper food and delicious and is our go-to on the way in and out of the hotel. 
I'm sure I've forgotten stuff, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I think Jess has also taken little kids to the Tokyo parks and she might also be able to help.  :)

Rebecca
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Rebecca » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Thank you so much. That's really helpful advice. It's hard to know where to start. Especially when it's in a non English speaking country.
Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Don't worry about the language...overall, it isn't a problem ... signs are mostly in English, and the maps to the parks come in English as well ( if you don't see them at the gate, ask)  and train stations all have english conversion buttons to change it to english so you can work out what ticket you need ( failing that, there is usually a person behind a window that will be able to help you get the right ticket).  only place i found it a challenge was asking for something off that menu to be altered ( due to allergies)... however, there is so much choice in the parks that you will not have a problem finding food.  If the person isn't able to work out what you need, they will run and find someone else who might be able to help...  And there's always the universal language of a smile and pointing... that works a treat too.  The train stations are a wonderful place to find great snacks as well as bento boxs ( prepackaged Japanese food in a little compartment box to eat at work or elsewhere)  so much choice.  If you are like me and can't live without wifi... there are great companies that drop off a portable wifi unit to wherever you are staying and give you packaging to put it in a post box when you leave.  Super efficient and reasonably priced.  

Rebecca
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Rebecca » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:14 pm

So... We're looking at Tokyo for Halloween time next year and staying at the Celebration hotel...which looks so cool!

Questions:
- Anyone been there this time of year?
- How expensive are the parks? Food, souvenirs....Compared to Disneyland.
- We can easily spend 10 days at Disneyland (which we did last year), how many days would we need to do both parks comfortably. Keeping in mind we'll have a 3.5 year old and and 1.5 year old and will likely need a 2.5hr hotel break during the day.

Thanks in advance guys! :)
Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:15 am

Our first Disney trip was to Tokyo during Halloween times, but its so much more these days ( that was back in 1999).  Generally I find merch to be a little dearer than at the US parks but only marginally and thats also taking into account the exchange rate of the day. Having said that, Tokyo has the BEST merch in my opinion so I haven't ever been concerned about spending the money. 
Going back to the resort for a rest is pretty easy thanks to the monorail system, we often do it to and we don't have kids in our party.  The Halloween time is pretty popular, but then you can pretty much guarantee crowds whenever you go to Tokyo.  Its manageable though, as the Japanese people are so accustomed to crowding and are not so inclined to push or push in line.  Its pretty orderly even when there are busy days. 
Honestly, even as grown ups, we allow two days in each park, and if I could get away with it ( which I haven't yet) I'd take longer to just soak it in.  It also would depend on what tickets are being offered at the time.  4 days is pretty standard ticket length.  Generally the first two days you have to nominate which park and then the other two days you can park hop.  If I could just spend a week just at the parks I would, but there is so much to see and do in Tokyo that we always try and squeeze as much in as possible and we usually are only there for a week in total.  

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:37 am

Della and I went to Halloween but it was six years ago - I'm not sure how relevant that'll be now.

There were large crowds, but we still had an amazing time - Tokyo is our favourite park for large crowds as they are so respectful.  Don't go on the weekend though - confine your park visits to weekdays and head into the City on the weekends.

Lisa has already mentioned that the Tokyo merchandise is the best - we support that too, just so much variety and a lot of it is unique to Tokyo.  I can't comment on how expensive it is as we went at a time when the Australian dollar was great...that said, we are heading back to Tokyo in March, so I'll be able to give you some better idea after that.
Keith

Trip history:

Rebecca
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby Rebecca » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks so much for your help. Great advice.

I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes in March Keith! Are you planning to stay on property?
Trip history:

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:59 am

We stay at the Tokyo Bay Hilton - right across the road from one of the monorail stations so it only takes ten minutes to get to the park.  They also have a Disney Store in the lobby and sell park tickets on site.  It is a great hotel with views of either the park, or the Tokyo Bay.
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Tokyo Disneyland”