Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Mobile Phone Hire/Calling Cards

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Mobile Phone Hire/Calling Cards

Postby sandie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:05 pm

I will obviously need to call home considering i am leaving half my family behind. Has anyone ever hired a mobile phone from the airport or found a good place to buy a calling card?

Sandie

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Mobile Phone Hire/Calling Cards

Postby ajp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:27 pm

I've always used a pre-paid calling card type thing to call home with. I've never wanted anyone to contact me, so a mobile for me was never a priority. I've done some checking on the Telstra site and the card works from Japan as well. The rates are pretty good and topping up is very easy. Here's the link if you want any information on it. I'll be doing this when we go over.

http://www.telstra.com.au/callingcardshop/phoneaway.htm

And no, I'm not trying to flog the "product". I don't do that, been there too long and too worn out to care about that stuff any more ....
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 pm

If you want to use your own mobile phone in Japan on roaming, make sure you have a mobile phone that works on the Japanese system. They have a proprietary 3G network (WCDMA which is basically unique to Japan and South Korea) that runs a different 3G frequency (1700MHz) to the rest of the world. Most of the newer 3G phones sold here in Australia cover WCDMA, but not the older ones (the older 3G only cover 850MHZ and 1800MHz).

There is NO GSM network at all in Japan - so don't even bother if you have a 2, 2.5G phone.

When we went in April, there were only two reasonably priced phones sold in Australia that were Japan network compatible - the Nokia 6120/6121 series and a Sony Erickson (can't remember model) - but that has changed now so you won't have any trouble finding one.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:58 am

We just bought a calling card at a convenience store while we were there. We didn't really want to talk to anybody from home...except to check the footy finals results :lol:
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:03 pm

I actually meant hiring a mobile at the airport in Narita so we could stay in touch with each other!!!!! I will need to call home daily to speak to Peter and John but i am ok doing that with a calling card.

Maybe I will hire the phone and use it to call home with the calling card!!!!!

I wouldn't normally want anyone from home calling me either but there may be a Mum emergency!!!!

Sandie

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Someone on laughing place asked the same question recently and there has been some good responses on it.

http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-100278-P-1.asp
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

I actually meant hiring a mobile at the airport in Narita so we could stay in touch with each other!!!!! I will need to call home daily to speak to Peter and John but i am ok doing that with a calling card.
I've been hearing a lot about this recently. It sounds like a fantastic way to go. I've only heard good stories from people that have done this OS... none of them went to Japan though.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Tokyo Disneyland”