Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Some help with Tokyo planning please?

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Some help with Tokyo planning please?

Postby ajp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Well ....

The bullet has been well and truly bitten, chewed and spat out! Today the flights have been cancelled. Tonight the hotels will be cancelled and the planning for TDL will need to be put on hold. When we finally do it we will more than likely plan much further ahead and get the cheap rooms through the Hilton, and also make sure the currency is less of an issue.

Reason we decided to do this was because if we travel to somewhere like Japan, we want to see Japan and all it has to offer. I worked out we could cut the trip to 7 days and fit into the original budget, but we would want to spend more time there than 7 days - and the decision to cut down on seeing Tokyo and surrounds or reducing days at the resort was way too hard to make.

We'll have to make other plans now .... :wink:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 pm

That's sad :(

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:19 pm

That is a big shame Anthony - but I guess if you are going to go all that way, you want to do it right. Also - it would have been a very cold time to visit - it does snow in Tokyo (in fact, they had a blizzard at the resort this year and all outdoor activities were cancelled) and you wouldn't have wanted to be confined to the indoors.

Good luck with whatever you are planning now. I'm talking to Della tonight about those Qantas airfares...I'll let you know how I go :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks guys, but that's right Keith. We wanted to do it right and with the limited resources I had, I didn't want to skimp on anything. And it's funny you mentioend the cold, once we made the decision to cancel Ros said, it would have been too cold anyway - go figure.

But as one door closes another opens as they say. We still want to have a holiday somewhere and started tossing around the regular destinations like - Gold Coast, Bali, Fiji and other Pacific Islands, even NZ. But, aside from NZ, we would be bored after 1 day as we're not sit around a pool or beach type people - plus we have a pool and I'm not spending more to use someone else's.

Sooooo, with the cheap fares, we worked out we can have a nice relaxing do very little holiday at Anaheim, using the same bucket of money I alloctaed to Tokyo, for 2 weeks in April. This would acheive 2 things - a park fix, which we need, and a nice relaxing holiday. We'll be happy sitting in Main Street drinking coffee as we will be lining up for a ride. No plans, no expectations, each day as it comes just relaxing! I'll even be happy to sleep in and get to the park or where-ever, whenever! Which for me is a big statement, but that's the sort of holiday we'd like and need.

Obviously we need to decide by midnight tonight, but we'll see how we go. Only thing we need to work out is how this effects our planned WDW trip in 2011.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:17 am

That sounds like a fantastic idea Anthony! I spoke to Della about this last night too - we contemplated grabbing the cheap flights for May - but in the end, we are giving it a miss.

We could have done HK instead, but I think with the current exchange rate and the requirement to make the decision today without any level of planning - it just didn't feel right to us.

We really want to go to the US next year, but later in the year and do the SF - LA coast drive. If we went in May, that would stuff those bigger plans (and we wanted to 'do it right' - just like your Tokyo trip). So I guess it is wait and see for us - we'll probably still go in October, even if it is more expensive - but that way we get the holiday we wanted.
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:57 am

Excellent Anthony! Well, not excellent that Tokyo/Japan is cancelled, but Anaheim is a pretty fair alternative!!!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 am

requirement to make the decision today without any level of planning - it just didn't feel right to us.
This is an important point too Keith. One reason why nothing is certain, and we may even change our mind in the 11th hour.

And each persons needs differ. Your plan to hold off and plan properly is probably the wiser move. October would be a great time to do that trip given the leaves will be turning up north and the weather on Highway 1 will be very pleasant for open top Mustang cruising. SF in Spring is delightful, but I reckon Autumn would be more spectacular. Also when in DL, you'll get the Halloween stuff which I assume is what you're after as well. And just checking the NASCAR schedule for April (Arizona), I noticed that California is on in October - another reason why a wise choice,
even if it is more expensive
Keep a weather eye out, because I reckon this won't be the last of the specials. V Australia will make sure that the price war is maintained and there will also be pressure from other carriers too. Add to that the fact that people will stop travelling, they'll all want to fill as many seats as they can.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 am

Obviously we need to decide by midnight tonight,
Which we did, then we didn't. Tokyo was for us a goal and something we really wanted to try and do. A trip to DL in April was a little too knee jerky and not well planned (see trip planning thread for more background). So we decided to hold off on this and start planning elsewhere. It doesn't help this growing need for a park fix, but then that gives us something more to look forward to.

Overall disappointed but content ...

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:04 pm

OH... :(

sorry to hear about the change of plans Anthony.

Look at the bright side though...

Clean slate... where to next?

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Yep, clean slate. Early plans are being developed.

By the way, good to have you back.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Ta... :D Good to be back... I miss my Disney family... :cry:

Only I'm not back quite yet. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that on occasions allows me to hook up to her wireless network at her place and play to my hearts content.

Not sure how long before I'm back online permanently.... hopefully soon... :? skid row isn't such a nice place.
I've got another great idea for getting everyone back into the daily chats but you'll all have to wait till I'm back to have it unveiled...

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Ooooh, sounds intriguing.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:31 pm

yep... should be fun. With a bit of luck ( and some of KRudds money tree :wink: ) it won't be all that long.

Lisa. -/

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Ta... :D Good to be back... I miss my Disney family... :cry:
We missed you too Lisa - the forum was a little greyer without your colour and humour around :D
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Wow... how nice is that... -/ -/

I was shopping the other day (it was POURING) and this guy in the shop said that I looked like a rainbow walking through his shop... bit cheesy but it made me smile just the same.... pity he wasn't my type... :wink:

I can't tell you how bad the withdrawls have been without my regular fix of my Disney family. :D
How on earth did we survive pre-internet?

Lisa. */

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Tokyo Disneyland”