Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Some help with Tokyo planning please?

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Some help with Tokyo planning please?

Postby ajp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 pm

I've booked 8 nights at the Palm and Fountain Terrace (specifically the Palm side due to availability). This was the most reasonable rates of the resort and could fit all 4 of us in a room for less than a second mortgage. But had to make 2x4 day bookings due to only allowing 7 days max. We then have 4 nights booked into the DLH. We just couldn't resist this place. And surprisingly to get a room that caters for 4, was not as expensive as you would think, and a little cheaper that some other hotels.

The kids and food is going to be interesting and I'll pass on all the information I can get. Not sure about yours, but when we go to a chinese restaurant, the best we can do at the moment is to have ours eat honey chicken and boiled rice with sweet and sour sauce. They're just not too adventerous with food. But I reckon by putting them in a no choice situation, then they'll have to eat what is available. I'll try and list those that appeal and those that don't.

My only problem now is either getting 1 night accommodation on the Gold Coast in January, or trusting a budget airline to get me to Coolangatta on the morning of the flight without cancelling a flight.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I feel like I am the only person who doesn't have a trip planned!!!!

Anthony, there was plenty of western-style food around, especially at Disney. Your girls should be fine - how old are they?

Lucky you staying at the DLH!!!!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks Mel, it's good to know that at least in the parks there is a fall back for them. But they will be "encouraged" to at least give different things a go. Like any kid I suppose they're not sure with food what they like or not, so it's best not to try, but I would like them to at least try. They're 15 and 12, so it's time they broadened their food horizons.
Lucky you staying at the DLH!!!!
We made a mistake once of giving ourselves a treat and staying in the DLH at Anaheim. It was a mistake because it was the best thing we did at the time, and we promised ourselves that every time we visited any park that we would stay at least on site, and try for the premium end, at least for a few nights. Costs alot and when you're on a budget it is a stretch, but worth every cent IMO. Last trip we spent a few nights at the Paradise Pier which was also worth it. So we thought on this trip, the newly opened DLH was the obvious choice, given that it is no more than the other 2 and caters for the families better as well.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:48 pm

So how did you book the DLH? I always book myself but Gerard recommended for Tokyo that I use his travel agent. She is having heaps of trouble getting a room booked there - not availablity just doing it!

Sandie

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm

I rang and did it myself. I wasn't sure how it would go, and there is a little trick. For starters, DLH have their own phone number different to the other 2 hotels, and then another different one again for mobiles and international calls (0011 81 45-345 0708). When you ring the number, you will be greeted by an IVR speaking nothing but Japanese. Just listen to the entire message and when she's finished, then an English message comes on and says that if you need to speak to someone in English to press 9 1. Then the call is transferred to the "english" section. But what happens here is, if there is no-one available that speaks english, it will give you a message warning that if no-one is available, that the call will be cut-off, and then you are told no-one is available then cut-off. If there is someone available, you'll get a ringtone and get to speak to someone. We did this at least half a dozen times before we got someone. And they are very helpful, friendly and will work with you for whatever you need.

Just thinking about it, I can vaguely recall reading somewhere that they won't take travel agent bookings, but I could be wrong. I couldn't pre-pay because I offered, I have to pay for it when I stay there, like pretty well all the places I've booked. But she'll need to follow up on that one.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks for that Anthony. I tried to convince DH last night that one night in the DLH would well be worth it, but he is yet to be convinced. I might try when we get closer to going...

I got an email about flights to Osaka today and would LOVE to take advantage of the cheap flights they have right now, but DL when pregnant is not as much fun as when you're not pg :( Oh, and we have no money :lol:

I'll just live vicariously through you all for now :)

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Keep trying Mel. Once you've done it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it before, especially with the kids. The mattresses and pillows are some of the best you will get in a hotel anywhere! After a long day in the park, it's great to come back to that's for sure.

Rail travel in Japan is becoming a little dilemma. If anyone with some experience can shed some light on the best way to manage this. As it currently stands there is little difference in price (on my plans anyway) between buying the 14 day rail pass as there is buying tickets there. I suppose that tells me that buying the pass here makes sense, but you can't use the new Nozomi class train with the rail pass, and I don't know if that entitles me to the reserved seats either, or whether I need to pay extra for the reserved seats. Nothing I have found so far tells me.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:21 pm

See - not to be outdone I made a ticket too!
Oh, great...another ticker :(
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 am

Keep trying Mel. Once you've done it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it before, especially with the kids. The mattresses and pillows are some of the best you will get in a hotel anywhere! After a long day in the park, it's great to come back to that's for sure.
I'll keep on trying. We'll be going from two salaries to 1.5 in two months though and probably won't go back to two for five or more years so I'll have to find ways to save money elsewhere :)
Rail travel in Japan is becoming a little dilemma. If anyone with some experience can shed some light on the best way to manage this. As it currently stands there is little difference in price (on my plans anyway) between buying the 14 day rail pass as there is buying tickets there. I suppose that tells me that buying the pass here makes sense, but you can't use the new Nozomi class train with the rail pass, and I don't know if that entitles me to the reserved seats either, or whether I need to pay extra for the reserved seats. Nothing I have found so far tells me.
Our trip was a bit different to yours. We only spent five days in Tokyo to start with, then five/six days in Kyoto before going back to Tokyo. We bought only the 7 day railpass and didn't activate it until we used it for the trip to Kyoto. That way we didn't have to pay for any of our day trips and the only extra train tickets we bought were for the subway (which was only a matter of $10 or less for the entire trip) and the NEX Narita Express Airport train which took us back to Narita. If you do buy the standard railpass, you can use it to reserve seats. We did. It's a lot easier than you would think too, they must get a lot of gaijin doing it in very bad Japanese :lol: We only reserved seats on the trips to Kyoto from Tokyo and back and not for the shorter day trips. We probably didn't even need to reserve seats for that as the trains were only about half full, but the thought of standing for a couple of hours did not appeal to me so we didn't risk it.

From memory, there are no smaller regional passes that will cover you to and from Tokyo from Osaka....hmm, I might see if I have any of the research I did for our trip lying around and get back to you!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Okay....so, a 14 railpass is 45,100yen. If you buy a return ticket from Osaka-Tokyo, you're looking at 28,100. I think that was the price for a reserved train, but not the Nozomi. I can't remember which price I wrote down now! They offer a JR West Kansai Pass for 4 consecutive days for 6,000yen. That will get you to or from the airport as well as out to touristy spots like Kyoto, Nara and Himeji. A one day West Kansai Pass is 1,000yen. Soooo...

45,100yen for all inclusive JR Rail travel for 14 days
28,100+6,000yen
= 34,100yen will give you a return trip Osaka-Tokyo plus four days of travel in West Kansai

It's a shame both your kids are over 11. The price drops significantly for kids under 12!!!

Hope this helps....I also hope it's right! I'm sleep-deprived today so add that to pg brain and you have a dangerous combination.

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks Mel. :D

After reading it a couple of times just to get it ticking over in my head, you got me thinking about different combinations, and I hadn't considered those multi day passes. I think that 4 day pass also comes in 2 and 3 as well, so that is definitely an option, because I will need to get to the airport as well.

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 pm

On Wednesday night Kenny's Wolrd was on my tv and it was set in Japan as it will be next week. I think I heard in the promo a mention of Tokyo Disneyland so tune in just in case.

Wednesday 8pm channel 10!

Sandie

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:04 pm

We then have 4 nights booked into the DLH. We just couldn't resist this place. And surprisingly to get a room that caters for 4, was not as expensive as you would think, and a little cheaper that some other hotels.
Anthony can you tell me what you are paying per night. Stupid travel wholesaler keeps quoting me $1000 a night but when I look at the prices on theior web page and convert to A$ it should be about $700 for a triple.

Sandie

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:41 pm

As I dip into the envelope and get out the confirmation letter, I can confirm that we're paying 47000 Yen a night. On current exchange rates (grrr) that's about $560 ish. That's for 4 people as well, but we are going and staying at the cheapest time. You're probably there during the mid to high time are you?

Make the phone call Sandie. Give them a ring (persevere as it'll take a few times to get someone who speaks English), it'll be worth it and it was quite easy to deal with them.

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:59 am

Sooooo not happy with the way the exchange rate against the Yen is shaping up! Four weeks ago it was at parity!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Tokyo Disneyland”