Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Backstage Magic tour

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Backstage Magic tour

Postby calisota » Sat May 06, 2006 3:34 pm

Sandie, I noticed in another post that you mentioned a Backstage Magic tour at WDW. What is it, where is it, how much is it, where do I book and anything else that you can remember? :D

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat May 20, 2006 11:03 am

Hi greg, it as awesome tour. It is not cheap-about $199 but you can get a AP discount. It lasts about 8 hours.

The last timeI did it there were a few changes but basically it starts at EPCOT with a backstage look at some attractions and the imagineering behind them. You then scoot out of the parks and visit other places which have included the disney florist, the Christmas warehouse and most interesting - the engineering workshop. This is ac hance to get up very close to sonme new ride vehicles and technology. One year we also went to the studios and spent an hour painting our own cels with a Disney artist.

Then its off to Disney/MGM for lunch at Mama Melroses (included) and a visit from a Disney performer and the costumeworkshop before heading off to the Magic Kingdom for a visit to the parade storage area-and a chance to try out to see what Disney chargacter you could be.

You then go down into the utilidors and see the technical details behind the parade before heading up and seeing the parade magic in action. You get a few freebies before heading back to EPCOT. The day includes lunch and drinks and some snacks.

I do it every trip and love it. Next ime I am also planning on doing Mickey'smagical milestones with my daughter -a 4 hour MK tour about how Mickey is incorporated into the parks.

Sandie

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat May 20, 2006 2:26 pm

This sounds like something I have to do. A few questions though.

What is an AP discount?

Do I book it before I leave here, when I get there, or do I just rock up at a window on the day?

Is this pretty much a full day, gol back to the hotel when it's finished thing or do you get left in the park after the tour finishes?

Do I need to use one of my daily admission tickets or is admission included in the price?

What freebies did you get?

Greg

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat May 20, 2006 2:44 pm

1. AP discount = Annual Pass Discount,if you have one you will save about 20%

2. I always book before I leave -I am an anal trip planner and need to know where I will be each and every day! You CAN NOT just turn upon the day. Ring the same number you ring for ADR (Advanced Dining Reservations) uptoa year in advance.

3. The tour finishes about 5 -I always meet up with my family for a night in the parks. You do not need a park ticket for the tour but you will if you plan to stay inside the parks afterwards. If you do not want to use a days admission go to Downtown Disney and Disneyquest (before it gets shut down.)

Sandie

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat May 20, 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of an annual pass, I was going to get an 8 day admission ticket. I wonder what the difference is, price wise.

Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat May 20, 2006 3:02 pm

Whoops, just checked out prices and it's a big difference. :shock:

Might stick with the 8 day pass.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat May 20, 2006 3:09 pm

This is great information Sandie. Della and I absolutely loved the Walking in Walt's Footsteps tour in Disneyland, and these WDW tours seem that much better again.

Greg, definitely ring way before you go. With the Disneyland tour, I had to ring no more than 60 days (I think) before the tour - so I worked out the exact day that would be, gave it a ring first thing in the morning LA time, and found out the day we wanted was already booked - I managed instead to get a slot in the tour on the first morning after our arrival, and only got that because of a two person cancellation! phew!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:30 am

Just a quick question:

Admission to Downtown Disney itself is free, it's what you do when you are there that's costs?

Greg

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:13 am

Yes, Pleasure Island and Disney Quest have seperate admissions but if you stay on site and get the Magic yr Way ticket you should be covered. At PI the Adventures Club is not to be missed.

Disney Quest is being closed down in January 2008 to make way for yet another ESPN sports bar so you may want to visit.

And whilst DtD is free it is not uncommon for me to somehow come back to my hotel room with $500 less!! (Why is lego so irresistable?)

Sandie

australiankaren
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby australiankaren » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:03 pm

Hey,
I'm going to WDW in december 06, and my son and I are doing the living seas aqua tour.....snorkling with the fishes at EPCOT......really looking forward to it.
I was thinking of doing the Keys to the kingdom tour...@$59usd including lunch, it looks good....anyone else done it???

have a good one
karen :D
WDW.....POFQ,POR, Contemporary
6-18 December 2006

PrincessBelle
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby PrincessBelle » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Karen..what are you doing for park tickets.

For us it AP's are definitley the way to go. Saves us a couple of hundred per person. And then there's discounts to go along with it.

australiankaren
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby australiankaren » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:59 am

hey suzanne,

we are doing the 10 day hopper only because we got a great deal with accom. without the AP, it works out a saving of about $20 usd a night better than AP rates....over 12 nights thats a ticket price.

And, since it will be cold we dont want the water park option[ that saves us about ($90 us ), as we are staying at 3 resorts, josh can check out 3 different pools if he really must swim etc.

But you guys are there for a longer period, so the AP is worth it, and you get other discounts- like on tours, food etc.

so how are the plans going? found the condo yet??

have a good one
Karen
WDW.....POFQ,POR, Contemporary
6-18 December 2006

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”