Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Miceage article on WDW Condition

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Miceage article on WDW Condition

Postby ajp » Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 pm

Was doing some reading today and came across this editorial on Miceage, which made for very interesting reading on the upkeep/maintenance of WDW. Here it is for those who wish to read:

http://www.miceage.com/kevinyee/ky042607a.htm

I haven't been to WDW and won't be for another couple of years yet, so I can't comment personally. However I did read this with some interest. I remember the state of disrepair that we went through with Wonderland in Sydney towards the end of it's life (not that I am comparing the 2 in any way at all), but I do see where the author might be coming from. WDW to me should be considered the flagship of all the resorts and would have thought, and to be honest had this vision, that it would be fully functional, operational with no "skeletons in the closet".

I wouldn't mind hearing some comments on this issue from some of you who have been previously, and perhaps going soon. Or may have been a long time ago and have recently returned there, and your thoughts on this article and your impressions on the condition of the resort.

I'll finish by acknowledging that these sorts of articles tend to focus on the few and small negative items, and also tend to embellish the story for the sake of the message. But on the flipside there were plenty of examples provided of closed and empty attractions and buildings.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Tue May 01, 2007 8:25 pm

I think the 'declining by degrees" is really noticeable to those who get to visit once a week. For those who manage to go every few years it is still as magical as ever. I have read Mice Age since it began and have never felt any of the lost magic they report. When Kevin Yee lived in California he was always saying it was falling apart at Disneyland. They bag California Adventure and we all love it in my family.

I think some people forget how lucky they are!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue May 01, 2007 9:22 pm

Well said Sandie - I read Kevin's article each week and I think he just has the time to nit-pick at everything as he can go whenever he wants.

He should see it from our point of view - we go once every couple of years at most, and just don't have the inclination to examine the rough spots. We are there for escapism and to have a great time, and the WDW Resort provides us that.

I guess if I went there all the time, I'd pick out things that needed doing, but at the moment, let's just enjoy it!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu May 03, 2007 9:18 am

Yes spot on Sandie. And reading yours and Keith responses did definitely put this in perspective. We don't get to see the continual changes and can only get there on the odd occasion for our snapshot of magic. Also your comments on DCA are also spot on. We too love DCA, and it always bugs me when you jump on the forums in the states and that's all they do is bag it. I even bothered to post once and let them know exactly what you said, they should consider themselves lucky and to see it from out limited and time delayed point of view.
I guess if I went there all the time, I'd pick out things that needed doing, but at the moment, let's just enjoy it!
Your right Keith, but I'm sure the majority of locals who visit the parks regularly still would not nit pick to this extreme.

Thanks for your comments! I wasn't familiar with the author (am now) and I suppose as with any form of "journalism", the intent is to sensationalise and get people to talk about it ....
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Thu May 03, 2007 5:48 pm

In 2003 we were lucky enough to go to both DL and WDW. Before we went I read Mice Age every day and I thought we had wasted our money in planning the trip. Both Kevin Yee and Al Lutz were writing - "this is run down" "this needs painting" "this needs to be fixed".

I never found one of the problems they were all up in arms about!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”