Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

WDW 50th

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Re: WDW 50th

Postby DisneyKaren » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:45 am

Anthony how was the weather when you were there?

I didn't arrive until mid-Feb and after 2 nice days it turned hot and the majority of our trip was reminiscent of a Brisbane summer (which I was trying to escape)! When I do WDW again I would look to go November-January at best. It was a great trip though and having 4 weeks just in Orlando allowed for some shorter days at the parks and time out of theme parks to slow down the brain.

This trip was my first visit to Lakeland Antique Mall and seeing all the fittings & furnishings from Disney Parks & Resorts for sale (too big to bring home). The size of the venue and variety of items filling stalls was an overload for my ADHD and I will admit I felt a bit anxious trying to see through all the 'stuff'. If you're in Orlando and have a car there are plenty of smaller items at a variety of prices but I wasn't prepared to spend the money on items which I have no room to display. My brain was also struggling to make decisions, then I'd forget where I saw something I was thinking about :? All that said, I'd totally go back as it was amazing to see!

Festival of the Arts was wonderful and I'd easily go back for it. Also loved Flower & Garden but the hot/humid weather would make me think hard before doing this one again. Maybe go for a few days at the end of a trip so I'm not there long.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:02 pm

This trip was my first visit to Lakeland Antique Mall and seeing all the fittings & furnishings from Disney Parks & Resorts for sale (too big to bring home).
I've never heard of this and now I really, really want to go!! What sort of stuff was for sale?

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:00 am

I can't remember how to add pictures. There were tables, coat racks, artwork, old ride vehicles (or possibly display ones) in the bigger items. Loads of smaller items which could have been Disney display or merch people were getting rid of. I went through old Christmas baubles which were dated however my birth year was missing. I did find a few things for my sister which were dated for her. Loads of dust collectors which were super cute or would be an amazing collectable, I just couldn't figure out where I could display it.

The high amount of Casey Jnr Railway popcorn buckets & sippers made me suspect Disney get rid of some unsold items here. That or someone bought in bulk at the outlets as they were very reasonably priced, just would be too 'cutesy' in my home. I saw some nice Christmas popcorn buckets but on opening they still had popcorn and residue in them - yuck! Some items were still available at the parks new, but the antique store had them at a higher price.

For me display space is an issue (and storage for that matter) so I needed to be realistic. Another issue was just the overload to my brain, I think I need a minder to go through with me :wink:
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:32 pm

Now I have another place to add to my list of "must visits". It even sounds like it could be a day trip in its own right. I would be drawn inexorably to the artwork.

I definitely have a space issue when it comes to stuff like this but I could ship stuff to my parents and they could add it to the stacked boxes in their garage that contain the majority of my worldly possessions. I'm sure they could figure out an way of getting in and out of their car.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:55 am

So Anthony - how did you go in WDW?
Since we got back it has been absolutely hectic, with work, and other things going in life, so haven't been on the boards for a while.

We had a great time, as you would expect, but there were 2 things that was an absolute surprise. 1 was the cost of everything. The Genie+ costs didn't help but everything has gone up lots. To be expected for sure, but clearly the budget was underdone (didn't stop us though). 2 was the amount of people. We expected lowish crowds for both DL and WDW and OMG the crowd levels we experienced at both locations was holiday like levels. In hindsight we wasted some money on genie+ because on some days, like Hollywood Studios, we couldn't use it because the crowds were too great. Just on Hollywood Studios, it has fast become my least favoured park now. High crowds, too much concrete, bits and pieces locations of things and rides are just way too popular. Having said that, Galaxy's Edge is just truly so amazing, and my most favourite place (DL version though, less crowds).

The new attractions are on a new level. Avatar, Rise of the Resistance and Guardians Galaxy Rewind are incredible and so much fun. We missed the opening of Tron by a fortnight. They're so immersive, exciting - just blow your mind. Not enough superlatives for them. We stayed at French Quarter Riverside in WDW and remembered why it is our favourite. Just so peaceful and tranquil when you're there. We did some new things (for us) like Hoopty Doo Review, Chef Mickeys (disappointing) and personally think Harmonious was harshly criticised. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
Anthony how was the weather when you were there?
Again sorry didn't respond earlier. Weather was warmer than expected. We only took a few summer items but needed more than we thought. Days were beautiful, great temps, but nights still had a chill in them. Problem was we started the trip in San Fran, and even Anaheim was freezing when we were there, and once we left the Wish, we headed to NYC, which was cold, so packing was a challenge. We did have 1 day of cool weather and rain, which unfortunately we were at EPCOT which doesn't handle rain well in World Showcase, but meh, we survived. We took wet weather gear which helped.

We had a wonderful trip. Glad we did both sides in the same trip. Universal Orlando is just amazing and is rivalling WDW as a destination. We love WDW, the whole complex, but gained a renewed love of the original, Disneyland - which was likely helped through our son-in-law who we took for his first trip, and we probably saw the place through different eyes. He is now hooked and can't get enough of it, a very familiar journey to one which we took. We also met up with our other daughter and her fiancee in WDW, and were worried about him because he's a very cynical and serious type of person, but we were pleasantly surprised by the way he reacted, and is also talking about return trips. So we converted 2 for 2 which was a huge win for us!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”