Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

An adult at Disney without kids

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

An adult at Disney without kids

Postby calisota » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:41 pm

I put this in the WDW section because that's where I had my issue

As an adult in a Disney Park, without kids, has anyone ever felt uncomfortable or had any issues?

Gregf
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: An adult at Disney without kids

Postby KeithS » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:51 am

No - Della and I never take kids and we've never had any problems at any of the parks.

Even when I stayed at WDW for a week by myself in 2013 I never had any issues.

It is not unusual for single guys to be at WDW due to the number of business conferences occurring in the area, so really you shouldn't be judged negatively because of that. What made you feel uncomfortable Greg?
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:09 am

I have on occasions ... I think the most annoying is the 'late to the party' family group that shove their kids on top of me or literally under me when I have been standing in the sun for an hour to get a spot with a clear shot at photos of parades... 'Because Disney is for children'.

I have more issues on FB groups and other boards than in person though... mostly because 'why would you go to Disney without Children anyway?' I heard this almost daily.
And I guess if you have had access to a Disney park all your life, then it might seem odd, but many of us in other countries, have had to save up and go as adults. I've seen heated discussions between people doing FE on the cruises about why adults shouldn't even bother being part of it because again, ' Disney is for children'...

I find it quite perplexing that others can't just accept that Disney isn't just for children, isn't ONLY for children, and isn't PRIMARILY about children. Even Walt said so. There wouldn't be so much competition for all the collectibles if it were only for children. Pandora... need I say more. Or Food N' Wine... that certainly isn't a 'kids only' event. Disney knows, but I find the people with little kids are the ones with a very strong conviction of the 'for kids' thing.

I hadn't really noticed is as much until the last few years... it seems to have become more of an issue lately.

Now don't you dare go being a foreigner AND a grown up and coming to our parks... that's just going to far :lol: Heard a lovely rant about that only days ago...
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:13 am

What made you feel uncomfortable Greg?
Not uncomfortable per se, although i try to take my photos without kids in them and will make a point of not pointing my camera towards any in an obvious way. But, when I did 10 days at WDW, i can't remember how many days in, I was approached outside EPCOT by a couple of security guys who politely asked me if I was a professional photographer. I'm not sure if that was the actual reason for the question or if the were trying to see why a middle aged guy on his own with a big camera would be going into a Disney Park.

I just went into an excited speel about being a huge fan, first time there, member of DUD, being so happy to be there, showed them photos I'd already taken etc. I think they were happy to get away in the end. I was impressed with how subtle and polite it all was and it's a good thing that they are on the watch out for potential issues.

As for being there on my own, I don't really have an issue with what anyone thinks But, having been to all the Parks now and having done what I want to do, it would be nice to go with someone for that shared experience thing.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”