Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Frozen to replace Maelstrom at Epcot

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Frozen to replace Maelstrom at Epcot

Postby KeithS » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:42 am

It is official, Disney have today announced that the Maelstrom boat ride in the Norway pavilion at Epcot will close and be replaced by a Frozen-themed ride. This had been speculated by Disney fans for sometime following the success of Frozen.

Here is the press release from the D23 website:

Today Walt Disney Parks and Resorts melted Disney fans’ hearts with the news that a Frozen attraction will be coming to Epcot.

Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs announced that construction is starting at Walt Disney World Resort on a brand-new Frozen attraction at, fittingly, the Norway Pavilion in Epcot. The new attraction replaces Maelstrom and will take guests to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. The pavilion will also include a royal greeting location where Anna and Elsa can meet guests. “We think these Frozen elements are great complements to the Norway Pavilion, which showcases the country and region that inspired the film,” Staggs explained.

The Frozen characters will also have a bigger presence at Magic Kingdom Park this holiday season. Queen Elsa’s powers will transform Cinderella Castle into an ice palace very night, beginning in early November; and Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf will also appear in Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

In addition, though summer may be ending, some of your favorite elements of Frozen Summer Fun LIVE! will remain into the coming seasons. Guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will still be able to sing along to Frozen songs with Elsa and Anna as well as frolic in real snow—in Florida, no less—at Wandering Oaken’s, which will set up shop closer to the show through the holiday season.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Frozen to replace Maelstrom at Epcot

Postby mushu mama » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:41 am

I was reading a bit about this yesterday and long time fans seem to be quite divided on the news. Some were are devastated and others ( which surprised me) were gleefully looking forward to the change.

Having never seen the original, I'm keen to see what they do with a full blown Frozen zone. I do hope they remain mindful of the country they are representing and not just turn it into merely another merch opportunity. I'd hate for Epcot to lose its 'world-through-the-eyes-of-'merica view' before I get to see it, cos this park is the one I'd most like to visit at WDW.

I was surprised by the amount of comments that suggested that it was time for Disney to 'let it go' in regard to the whole Frozen thing... has it been over exposed already I wonder? or are we consuming and discarding 'the new' and looking for the 'next new' way way too fast these days? That'd be hard to keep up with from a entertainment providers POV.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:36 pm

There is already a joke on FB that maelstrom was a bit of a fixer upper!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:45 am

I'm in the camp that liked Maelstrom! I thought it was a good little flume ride - heck, it even went backwards which was fun! I thought it was good at telling the story of Norway and it provided kids a good experience about what that country contributes to the world. Now it'll just be a Frozen ride - don't get me wrong, I'd die for a Frozen ride in the Magic Kingdom and would be the first to line up - but I think it cheapens the Norway pavilion and the general Epcot idea of teaching people about others parts of the world.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm not sure I've established a final opinion on this yet. Maelstrom was an enjoyable attraction, probably one of the more exciting across world showcase. And the important thing is it showcased the country. For me Epcot World Showcase was designed for countries to highlight their cultural and natural uniqueness, bit like a marketing exercise, but allowing people to experience something they may not otherwise. But it was getting on a bit and did need a makeover of sorts

Whilst Frozen is uniquely Norwegian, it is fictitious and only loosely based on a traditional fable. I agree that a Frozen ride is a necessity and Disney needs to incorporate it somewhere, but as Keith alluded, Magic Kingdom would be ideal, or maybe even DHS. Norway may seem logical, which it is, but also removes itself from the purpose of the park in the first place.

When it's done and in, everyone will forget that this debate and concern ever took place. It will do well and people will use it. I just hope that it doesn't start a change to a World Showcase that dilutes the intent of the place on the first place.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby BrizMarc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:16 pm

I think maelstrom has a nostalgia factor for many people. I wasnt all that impressed with it though I feel the ride vehicle is really good and the whole experience will be better with the Frozen overlay

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 am

I think maelstrom has a nostalgia factor for many people.
I think you're right if my instagram feed is anything to go by... wow I can't count how many soulful 'my last ride' photos of this ride I saw over the weekend. I haven't seen the original so I'm looking forward to the Frozen overlay as well.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”