Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

New Land For WDW Animal Kingdom!!! Based on AVATAR!!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

New Land For WDW Animal Kingdom!!! Based on AVATAR!!

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 am

Here is a mega piece of news that none of us saw coming!

Today, the Walt Disney Company have announced a deal with Fox and James Cameron to licence Avatar - and to build an Avatar-themed land initally at the Animal Kingdom in WDW! This is obviously designed to tackle Harry Potter directly. It will be as big as Carsland in Anaheim.

What is amazing that nothing about this has leaked, and it didn't even get announced at the recent Expo.

Here is the full article below from the Sydney Morning Herald!

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-te ... 1kjwx.html

This is very big news indeed :)

Here is the official press release!

BURBANK, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life at Disney parks. Through an exclusive agreement announced today by Disney, Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox, Disney will partner with Cameron and producing partner Jon Landau to create themed lands that will give theme park guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. Disney plans to build the first AVATAR themed land at Walt Disney World, within the Animal Kingdom park. With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy. Construction is expected to begin by 2013.
“James Cameron is a groundbreaking filmmaker and gifted storyteller who shares our passion for creativity, technological innovation and delivering the best experience possible,” said Robert A. Iger, President and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. “With this agreement, we have the extraordinary opportunity to combine James’ talent and vision with the imagination and expertise of Disney.”

“AVATAR created a world which audiences can discover again and again and now, through this incredible partnership with Disney, we’ll be able to bring Pandora to life like never before. With two new AVATAR films currently in development, we’ll have even more locations, characters and stories to explore,” said James Cameron. “I’m chomping at the bit to start work with Disney’s legendary Imagineers to bring our AVATAR universe to life. Our goal is to go beyond current boundaries of technical innovation and experiential storytelling, and give park goers the chance to see, hear, and touch the world of AVATAR with an unprecedented sense of reality.”

The agreement announced today gives The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) exclusive global theme park rights to the AVATAR franchise and provides for additional AVATAR themed lands at other Disney parks. The other locations will be determined by Disney and its international theme park partners. James Cameron, Jon Landau and their Lightstorm Entertainment group will serve as creative consultants on the projects and will partner with Walt Disney Imagineering in the design and development of the AVATAR themed lands.

“This exciting new venture combines the world of AVATAR with the enormous reach of Disney and the incomparable talent of Jim Cameron,” commented Fox Filmed Entertainment chairmen Jim Gianopulos and Tom Rothman. “While Jim is bringing audiences further into Pandora with the next two chapters in the AVATAR motion picture saga, the theme park attraction will likewise bring a new dimension to the amazing universe he created.”

“AVATAR is a uniquely powerful franchise that has global appeal with audiences of all ages. Its spectacular settings, intriguing characters, imaginative creatures, and strong themes of family and loyalty make it a perfect fit for Disney,” said Thomas O. Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We can’t wait to give our guests the ability to journey to Pandora and explore the incredible immersive world of AVATAR in person.”

In addition to setting a global box office record, AVATAR has been hailed as one of the most innovative and visually stunning movies ever produced. With its advanced motion capture and 3-D digital projection technologies developed by James Cameron and his team, moviegoers were able to connect with the world of AVATAR in new and engaging ways.

This new venture complements Walt Disney Parks & Resorts’ strategic efforts to continue to invest in its core theme park businesses around the world while simultaneously expanding into other parts of the family vacation business.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: New Land For WDW Animal Kingdom!!! Based on AVATAR!!

Postby Mel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 am

Wow. Suppose I'd better see the movie now...
:oops:
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 am

I did enjoy Avatar. We can only imagine where the parks will take this. I hope they do this and themselves justice!

3rd gate in Anaheim ..... ?

Mel, 2015 might seem far away now, but with this news, it should be well timed.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Mel!!! How did you miss it? (It was great in 3D on a big screen!)

It isn't the greatest film in the world though - the story was pretty simple and a bit preachy...but I have to say this decision to build an Avatar-themed land is fantastic. The world of Avatar is beautifully realised in the movies and is pure fantasy - and we know Disney Imagineers are experts in fantasy.

The Avatar theme also appeals to both men and women of all ages, and is known and popular around the world (I would say more popular than something like Cars - which has less appeal to female audiences and non-Americans. Cars is of course, an absolute cash-cow from a merchandise perspective however!).

So whether we personally like the movie or not - I think this is a good move on Disney''s behalf to buy into this popular franchise - it has lots of possibilities.
Keith

Trip history:

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 pm

:oops:
That's exactly what I thought

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am

Well... this little smidgen of info has really got the Disney fans in a flap huh? :lol:

The blogs and chatter all over the place is fast and in many cases furious... which to me is the first sign that this is going in the right direction. Something that generates such a swift and full bodied reaction is only going to build between now and opening around 5 years time, and that is exactly what the powers that be will need, something that keeps being discussed over such a period of time.

Heres my thoughts:

I've read a lot of well meaning moms playing the 'what would Walt do' card... and my thought is he'd go 'hell yes!!!' What made the whole 'Disney' thing and Walt so exceptional is that he didn't stick to the mainstream... he didn't just lean outside the square, he leapt our of it...

The fact that AVATAR is PG13 isn't really an argument at all when you consider that the Pirates franchise are all the same, as are some of the Star Wars franchise and it hasn't held any of them back from being major drawcards and money spinners with toddlers and adult fans alike.

Also the argument that Walt would be horrified by looking outside the 'family' is rubbish, when you consider that Walt snaffled Pooh, Mary Poppins and Peter Pan from outside the walls with great and lasting success. Not to mention successful collaborations with Jim Henson and George Lucas amongst others.

A lot of discussion also that AVATAR isn't a good fit for AK. I'm thinking that with the combo of Disney imagineers and James Cameron, they will push creative boundaries we haven't even thought of - which is exactly what WDW needs to combat the whole HP thing - any loss of foot traffic is a bad thing for Disney and they HAVE to do something on a similar scale or lose being the first place people think of visiting when in Orlando or risk being only a day trip from the other parks instead of the other way around.

Lastly, I think the potential for this new Land(?) to be amazingly submersive is massive. Given the fact that the movie can be a bit 'earth friendly' preachy ( which I am not against by the way) is a PERFECT fit for a park that is all about sustainability and caring for the environment and its inhabitants. It also opens the door for a night time attraction in a park that closes early - imagine walking under all those effervescent twinkling lights with little 'lit up fluffy things' landing on your hands... the is no end to what they could do in a 'non noisy/calm' night time experience so as not to upset the animals nearby.

ANNNND.... there is a mythical creature in the logo of AK and its high time they gave it a voice...

I for one am heartily looking forward to seeing this progress and eventually seeing it in person -/

phew... there you go... my two bob :wink:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:04 pm

phew... there you go... my two bob :wink:
You've said everything I wanted to say, but in a much more eloquent and cohesive manner! Thanks Lisa (good to see you around here!)

I'm puzzled by the PG-13 backlash too, I haven't quite understood why that has raised itself, given as you rightly say - some Pirates were also PG-13 (and M rated here).

Yep - there isa mythical creature in the Animal Kingdom logo - for those who are unaware, the original Animal Kingdom park was meant to have a land called "Beastly Kingdom" which was for mythical creatures - unicorns and dragons and such. It got cut due to budgets - but the world of Avatar will nicely fill that void.

I can't wait to see what the Imagineers come up with - I can see a flying adventure ride (maybe a coaster or 3D Soarin' type ride) where you ride those bird-creatures. I can definitely see the nighttime adventures like Lisa mentions above. The next two movies will also provide tonnes of inspiration.

I can't wait to go and visit :)
Keith

Trip history:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 pm

I can't wait! Animal Kingdom is perfect for this, the park is already the most jungle like of any of the parks.

I can only image what its going to be like. Try to keep your exceptions manageable though, floating mountains is going to be hard to re create... ;-)
Rick

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Mel!!! How did you miss it? (It was great in 3D on a big screen!)
They are called Ben, Jared and Josh :lol:
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

They are called Ben, Jared and Josh :lol:
Touche!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:10 pm

You've said everything I wanted to say, but in a much more eloquent and cohesive manner! Thanks Lisa (good to see you around here!)
thanks Keith, I was blown away by how any forums I read were just bursting with feedback on this in such a tiny space of time, and found a lot of the comments quite strongly opinionated and in the process, formed my own :)

Yep, its true, I haven't commented much lately...had a 'hands-full' kind of a year, but I'm still lurking :D and its set to continue having just landed my second travel consultant job... very excited about this one ( the first having gone bust in a cloud of embezzlement issues just days before I was due to start).
I can't wait! Animal Kingdom is perfect for this, the park is already the most jungle like of any of the parks.

I can only image what its going to be like. Try to keep your exceptions manageable though, floating mountains is going to be hard to re create... ;-)
But thats EXACTLY what my daughter and I were envisaging this morning when we were armchair imagineering... A bit like Keith said, a Soarin' kind of experience over the jungle and through the floating mountains on winged beasts, and being able to feel the animal moving, like being on a horse, and then exiting the ride where you get off the beast and walk into this dark world in the big tree house thing they lived in, and having shops, and eateries on different levels... like a mall but in a tree like structure.
We came up with all sorts of stuff... we also think they need a 'bibbity bobbity BLUE' boutique so you can be 'avatar-ed' for the day -/
They also need a jungle experience where you see the rhino-thingo coming at you and the wild creatures everywhere in a 3D/virtual reality kind of experience... needless to say, we're pretty keen to see what they come up with
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 am

I think you should all leave Mel alone - I have not seen it either!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't mind what theme they build something new about - as long as they keep building new things!!!!! Our Christmas trip was heaps of fun but other than Toy Story Mania there was nothing new to us (except some stuff in Innovations) and we hadn't been there for 4 years!

Sandie

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:02 pm

i think if they can do stuff like the Mushroom forest in Journey to the Centre of the Earth, they can do Avatar

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:15 am

Okay - as Wayne mentioned in his post, the D23 Expo in Tokyo unveiled artwork for the upcoming Avatar land at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

And here it is! I think it looks absolutely amazing, and I love that we will finally be able to have a night time adventure in DAK.

I see a few interesting things here - night time activities, a boat ride, a flying ride, and floating mountains! Pretty cool.

Walking through the park

Boat ride through Pandora

Flight over Pandora

New night time activities - look at the Tree of Life lit up

James Cameron, Tom Staggs and Joe Rohde examining the model - that floating island looks awesome!
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I think this whole concept looks awesome...

the only thing I didn't like is that it will only be open 2017... the year after I will be there for the first time.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”