Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Victoria & Albert's Restaurant at WDW

Lashbear
A Ticket
A Ticket

Victoria & Albert's Restaurant at WDW

Postby Lashbear » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi all !

I note that a few people are going to WDW soon and I thought I'd share a really special and yes, magical evening we spent at Victoria & Alberts in the Grand FLoridian Hotel (no, we weren't staying there - we aren't THAT well-heeled :D ) It really was a Once-In-A-Lifetime event.

So here's our whole experience with V&A. It was nice to see that two guys dining together for an anniversary dinner wasn't an issue (not that it should be).

The day was sunny and fine, and we spent most of the day at EPCOT - leaving our suits stashed in the lockers at the Epcot bus station.

We then went and changed into our suits, hopped on the Monorail to the Ticketing & Transport Centre, and swapped over to the Resort Transport monorail loop.

Straight off the monorail, and we were in the elegant lobby of the Grand Floridian Hotel. Being Christmas, there was a giant tree dominating the scene, as well as a huge gingerbread house (how we were tempted, but it would have spoiled out appetites).

We went around to the entrance to Victoria and Albert's and peeked in to make sure the Maitre D was expecting us. He was, and we were soon shown to our table.

The dining room is small, and the arrangement was such that we felt quite private, and not at all "on show". We were situated to the right of the main entrance, against a beautifully upholstered wall. The other diners were unobtrusive, and their quiet chat was absorbed by the delightful music being played on a classical guitar to the left of the entrance.

The guitarist played a warm gentle mix of Disney songs ('When you wish upon a star' nearly brought me to tears) and seasonal carols, which enhanced the experiene no end, but never intruded into conversation or became distracting.

We were welcomed by our Victoria (Anita) and our Albert (Don), and given our menus (each one customized with our name written in flowing gold script and our names and the occasion printed inside each menu) to peruse. While Victoria gave us the run-down on each dish on the menu, Albert was off fetching Champagne for us. We gave Victoria our choices, and settled in for an evening of luxury.

The first course was an 'Amuse bouchee' - to entertain the mouth. It was a single morsel, dainty, but with many mingled flavours. The Champagne was real French Champagne (Duval-Leroy Brut Non Vintage) and was light, frothy and foamy - not at all like the dull flat "Champagnes" we had been used to.

Our plates were cleared, and we settled in for a chat. Our next course arrived, and it was the Smoked Buffalo Tenderloin with Fennel and Apple Salad. We had both ordered this, as we had always wanted to try Buffalo - it was tender and tasty. The portion was not huge, however with 5 courses to go, we decided that bigger is not necessarily better in this case. The wine to accompany this course was the Hartford Pinot Noir, Sonoma 2000, and was perfect in tandem with the buffalo.

For the third course, I went with the South Florida Rabbit "Cassoulet" with Leek Fondue, which was accompanied by the Pinot Blanc Lucien Albrecht, Alsace 2000 (a nice light white). Greg (who has a soft spot for rabbits) decided to order the Soy Glazed Duck (NOT Donald, thankfully) with Sugar Snap Peas and Miniature Corn, accompanied by the Mordagio Albarino, Rias Baixas 2001 (I found out that the finest Albariño wines do come in fact from the Rias Baixas zone of Galicia in Spain and are in great demand). Greg was certainly impressed. The sommelier at V&A certainly knows his job !

The Rabbit was as tender as you could want, and the leek fondue was totally inspired as an accompaniment (now, if only they gave away their recipes). Greg assures me the Duck was done to a turn, and was not overwhelmed by the soy glaze.

Fourth course was a shoe-in, as we are both lovers of cream soups. (although the Pheasant Consommé nearly tempted me) In the end, though, we both had the Yukon Gold-Marscapone Cream This was served with freshly ground black pepper, and was velvety smooth and delicious. There was no wine with this course (*hic*).

Now it was time for the Entree (Main Course to us Aussies). I had the Porcini Crusted Veal Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Risotto, which was served with the Haut-Médoc Château Lanessan Delbos-Bouteiller, Bordeaux 1998.

Greg had the Grilled Prime Filet over Potato Pillow and Cabernet Jus which was served with a glass of the Dolcetto Di Diano D'Alba, Montagrillo Piedmont 2000

After we were done with the entrée, they waited just the right amount of time before bringing out the Colston Basset Stilton with Burgandy Poached Pear. I LOVE stilton cheese, and the port that was served with this was the Ferreira Tawny, Porto, and I have never tasted a nicer port (and Ive tasted a few ! )

Dessert, dessert, dessert !! Never have we been more tempted, and this was one of the hardest decisions to make !! The Apple Mousse Tart with Calvados Carmel Sauce was served with a fabulously sticky Sauternes LaFleur D'Or, Bordeaux, 1999. Greg was over the moon with his sinful Hawaiian Kona chocolate Soufflé, which Albert served at the table by breaking open the top, and pouring a stream of Hot Chocolate Fudge sauce into.. he just kept pouring, and pouring, and pouring, until Greg finally stopped him We recommend everyone should try this opulent dessert ! It was also served with the Sauternes LaFleur D'Or, Bordeaux, 1999, which Greg liked, even though he is not normally a sweet wine type of guy.

Coffee was served with dessert, and we would advise that you get it, whether you drink coffee or not, simply because of the theatrical value of the fascinating coffee-pot that it is brewed and served in. They are made exclusively for Victoria & Alberts and make really good coffee !! (I believe Swiss Water Decaf is also available).

Gorgeous handmade chocolates arrived at the end of the meal with the cheque, and we were surprised by that special Disney Touch - a single Red Rose for each of us, and a chocolate Anniversary card for us from the staff of V&A. We have never felt so pampered or special ! We also got to keep the Souvenir Personalised Menus.

Here was the menu, including the full list of choices offered that night:

Happy 3rd Anniversary
Welcome to Victoria and Albert's
10 December 2002

Course 1 - Both
Amuse Bouche - Prawn
Duval-Leroy Brut, Champagne NV

Course 2 - Both
Smoked Buffalo Tenderloin with Fennel and Apple Salad
Hartford Pinot Noir, Sonoma 2000

Also on offer for second course were
Herb Marinated Quail with French Lentils and Elephant Garlic Aioli
Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 2002
Iranian Karabarun Golden Osetra Caviar ($35.00 1/2oz - $70.00 1oz extra)

Course 3
Rob:
South Florida Rabbit "Cassoulet" with Leek Fondue
Pinot Blanc Lucien Albrecht, Alsace 2000

Greg:
Soy Glazed Duck with Sugar Snap Peas and Miniature Corn
Mordagio Albarino, Rias Baixas 2001

Course 4 - Both
Yukon Gold-Marscapone Cream

Also on offer for the soup course was
Pheasant Consommé

Course 5
Rob:
Porcini Crusted Veal Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Risotto
Haut-Médoc Château Lanessan Delbos-Bouteiller, Bordeaux 1998

Greg:
Grilled Prime Filet over Potato Pillow and Cabernet Jus
Dolcetto Di Diano D'Alba, Montagrillo Piedmont 2000

Also Available for Course Five were:
Alaskan King Salmon with Artichokes, Wild Rice and Beet Ragoût
Guenoc Chardonnay "Genevieve Magoon Vineyard", Guenoc Valley 1999
Petit Poulet "Coq Au Vin" with Fingerling Potatoes
Côte de Brouilly Château Thivin, C ru Beajolais 1999

Course 6 - Both
Colston Basset Stilton with Burgandy Poached Pear
Ferreira Tawny, Porto

Also Available for Course six was:
Terrine of Sorbet with Pomegranate Seeds
Brachetto d'Acqui Banfi "Rosa Regale", Piedmont 2001

Course 7
Rob:
Green Apple Mousse Tart with Calvados Carmel Sauce
Sauternes LaFleur D'Or, Bordeaux, 1999

Greg:
Hawaiian Kona chocolate Soufflé
Sauternes LaFleur D'Or, Bordeaux, 1999

Also Available for Course seven (all served with the sauterne) were:
Pyramid of Tanzani Chocolate Mousse with Strawberries
Caramelized Banana Gâteau
Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée
Grand Marnier Soufflé

Coffee and Chocolates

Our Victoria: Anita
Our Albert: Don
Chef de Cuisine: Scott Hunnel
Pastry Chef: Erich Herbitschek
Maitre d'Hotel: Brian Koziol

It was a truly memorable evening, and the only hitch was that they used one merchant number to check our credit card before the meal, and a different one when we paid, which tied up some $300.00 for a week on our card ! (The whole meal including wine pairings and tip cost about $350.00 AU for the two of us)

I believe this doesnt happen to everyone, however it was a bit of a shock for us (we thought we had been billed twice).

That aside, I would still recommend Victoria & Alberts as #1 for a romantic and eternally memorable evening perfect for that ultimate Special Occasion.

Cheers,
Rob.
DLR in March/April 2007

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:04 pm

I have plans when we are there next year to book the kids into kids club for a night so we can have a nice dinner together without 27 "I need to wee" breaks (At what age does that stop?) I was thinking California Grill -as I am not lugging my husbands suit around for 6 weeks!

Anyone eaten there?

Sandie

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:17 am

Hi Rob, welcome to our little corner of the disney universe. :D

That was a fantastic post and, as someone who enjoys eating, it was enough to get me out of the chair and scrounging through the kitchen for something to eat.

I was pleasantly surprised at just how reasonable it all was as well. I would have expected a meal like that, given the surroundings and little extras, would have been much more. The personalised menus are certainly a souvineer that not many Disney fans would have.

How long did the entire meal take?

Greg

PS. I would have no qualms about eating Donald. :D
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

Lashbear
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Lashbear » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:52 pm

From memory (I forgot to diarise it) I think it took about 2 1/2 hours total. We went for the earlier sitting - I believe there was one at about 9 or so.
DLR in March/April 2007

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:52 pm

Whoa - awesome story, but a seven course option? Now there is some eating :)

We did the Lunch with an Imagineer at The Brown Derby the other week and it was a fantastic meal - they also provide the personalised menus with your name and the name of the Imagineer you are dining with.

The variety of food in WDW astounded me - which is why Disneyland in Anaheim is a disappointment - the variety there is so limited.

Thanks for sharing Rob.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Lashbear
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Lashbear » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:09 am

Seven courses sounded daunting, (and that's all they offered) but the portions were kept to a size that we ended the evening replete, but not stuffed.... there was still room for those chocolates at the end ! :P
DLR in March/April 2007

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”