Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

OMG I'm planning a trip to WDW

PrincessBelle
A Ticket
A Ticket

OMG I'm planning a trip to WDW

Postby PrincessBelle » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:57 am

Last year we did the big family trip to DL. That was myself, DH and DD's x 2 (3 & 1), Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister and her partner and 3 kids (9, 6 & 5) and Aunty who came over from the UK to meet us. That was 13 of us all together.
On Friday Mum, sister and I were talking and have decided that its time to plan the family trip to WDW. :D I know its ages away yet but we were originally thinking 1year in March. I have been reading up over the weekend and decided that March will probably be a bit too busy so I am now leaning towards late October next year although haven't discussed that with everyone yet. We still want warm weather whilst avoiding hurricanes (Hurricane Wilma hit Florida mid Oct last year). The other option is the following April or May...but this is sooooooooooooo long away.
I'm already planning of course....there's so much to decide. I've already watched the WDW Vacation Planning DVD twice this weekend. :lol:
Now, to stay onsite, offsite, apartment, hotel...mmmmmm decisions. I think that the planning stage is one of my favourite parts. :P I hate to think how many times I have been on the WDW website this weekend.
Suzanne

PrincessBelle
A Ticket
A Ticket

WDW

Postby PrincessBelle » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Just had a chat with Mum....looks like its late October. I'm so excited, I can't stop smiling. :D
PrincessBelle

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Hey, that is awesome Suzanne!
I hate to think how many times I have been on the WDW website this weekend.
Yep - been there done that. And just when I think I know that website backwards, I find a whole new section I hadn't seen before:)

Where did you get the WDW Vacation Planning DVD? I have the excellent Disneyland Resort Anaheim one that I got through Parks and Resorts in Sydney, but I have never seen the WDW one - I'm guessing it came from the US?

I also love the planning stage, but my favourite part of the pre-holiday is the last week at work, where I wind down, knowing I'm not responsible for anything until I return! Come to think of it, it is only 7 weeks until we depart and I am already winding down at work :D
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

PrincessBelle
A Ticket
A Ticket

WDW DVD

Postby PrincessBelle » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:34 am

I bought the DVD off ebay. It came with all the maps etc and I paid $10.00 for it. It did come from an american seller and thinking back it was also about $10.00 for postage. Well worth it I think. :) I have been trying to copy it for my sister but it needs a special type of DVD to copy it onto. It asks for a DVD DL which I don't have. I have to try to remember to get one of those today. It came with a planning CD Rom that I haven't looked at yet. Its last years DVD but should do me for a while. :) I assume it is the one that US residents can request from the website.
I also have an old DL one that I picked up from a travel show here in Melbourne. That has been well played. My oldest DD who was 3 at the time watched it over and over and over before we went to DL. She has even watched it a couple of times since.

You must be really excited now Keith. Not long to go for you now.

Suzanne

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: WDW DVD

Postby KeithS » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Not long to go for you now.
It is "roughly" 51 sleeps :D

And to think that before we get to WDW, we go to Hong Kong and Paris first - amazing!

My friends at work want me to give them regular updates of where I am, what I'm doing etc, so I'll try and keep in regular contact with the forum here to rub it in...I mean...let you all know what we've been up to.

I can't wait - I'm off to the WDW website again!
Keith

Trip history:

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:29 am

Hi Princess Belle,

Late October? Plan for Mickey's Not So Scary halloween party - wouldn't want to miss the headless horseman making his thrilling ride down Main Street before the parade. Also Fort Wilderness campground has Hauted hay Rides - your ride will be interupted by Icabod Crane and the Headless Horseman. This years tickets went on sale around the end of March.

I stayed off site once and never will again!!! If I was travelling with extended family I wouldget twoormore rooms adjoining at Port Orleans Riverside but I hear the new family suites at All Stars (I think -maybe Pop) are pretty good.

How old are your kids again? Mine are 10 and 7 and have loved reading the Birbaum WDW for Kids by Kids.

Sandie

PrincessBelle
A Ticket
A Ticket

WDW

Postby PrincessBelle » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:17 am

Well our trip is getting earlier everytime we talk about it. We are now thinking early October...but we are looking at staying 4 weeks so we would be there for MNNSHP etc. The hayrides sound fantastic....I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

We are really tossing up what to do accommodation wise. My kids will be 5 and 2 (turning 3 within a couple of days of arriving) My sister will be with her kids 11, 8 and 7. Then there is Mum, Dad and my brother who is 26. I want to stay onsite....I'm happy with a value resort. We are thinking of an annual pass so we may even get a room discount with that. My sister would also stay onsite. I was thinking Pop Century...but have heard mixed reviews. I'm not hugely fussy, as long as its clean and comfortable. The only thing that worries me is 4 weeks is a long time to eat out for every meal. Mum and Dad have timeshare so they are thinking of using that. But then they would have transport costs to the park etc. But would also have a kitchen and laundry which is a bonus. So many things to decide. I thought about the All Star Family Suites but it gets a bit pricey for 4weeks. I dont want to get there and not be able to afford to do anything. I did look at Port Orleans riverside and would be happy to pay the difference to upgrade to that. Just depends if my sister will be doing the same.
My head is filled with so much information now. I think what we need to do is have a day at home where we all get together and weigh up the pro's and cons of everything.
Keith..you are going to have an amazing time. I cant wait to hear about your trip. That must be the ultimate trip for any Disney fan.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi Suzanne, sorry about being out of the loop - I've had PC troubles...

Wow - that was a lot of words :) I was breathless by the time I got to the bottom. I love listening to people planning these big trips, the excitment is infectious. (I'm driving everyone at work crazy with my terrible renditions of "Leaving on a Jet Plane"!)

We'll let you know what Pop Century is like. I'll be popping into the website here every now and again with updates for you guys to let you know what we are up to.

See you around,

K.
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:59 pm

K.

Very James Bond.............K :D

All this impending globe trotting is starting to make an impression
I see.. :lol:

Packed Buzzard yet?

My apologies to Suzanne for hijacking your topic.... I just couldn't resist :twisted:

~ L ~

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:45 pm

Packed Buzzard yet?
Yes :)

I'm working in Melbourne all this coming week (and probably the following one) and yes - The Buzzard is already packed into my bag. He's been to Melbourne before, but another visit won't hurt him :D He gets to live in style this time as the business is paying for us to stay at the Grand Hyatt - I'd better dust of his tux!

He is still coming on the around the world trip, and I'm giving him an extra two day journey to New York as well, courtesy of a business side trip I have to take whilst I'm in Orlando. I took him home on Friday night and finally removed his pirate bandana and ear ring that he had been wearing since the club meeting. He is back to being plain old Buzzard now!
Keith

Trip history:

australiankaren
A Ticket
A Ticket

WDW........

Postby australiankaren » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Hey Suzanne,

thanks for the tip about this site, never knew it was here....great to see other aussie disney freaks...

:D

I actually think the planning is nearly as much fun as the trip itself....I love looking at all my guide books, changing my mind about things, making charts etc.....keeps my mind going.[especially on slow work days]

so, what stage of the planning you up to now???budget, a list of what everyone wants...It will be a challenge to cater to everyone in the group.

keep me posted
have a good one
Karen

PrincessBelle
A Ticket
A Ticket

WDW

Postby PrincessBelle » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:25 pm

Hi Karen

Glad you made it here. I think I love the planning part as much as the actual trip. I can't help myself with the guide books either. Everytime I see a new one I have to buy it. I have so many now...and most of them say the same things. And even then I find that I get most of my info from the web.

At the moment I'm in the process of doing up spreadsheets with prices and activities so that I can show it to everyone and they can decide what they want to do. It is hard satisfying everyone. There are quite a few things I want to do and some of them are expensive. I don't think everyone is going to want to do all of them. I think if we can work around those "must do's" for each of us and then go with the flow from there. But I have a lot of "must do's". :) The only thing we have really decided on is the date. And until flights are booked, I guess even that could change.

You must be excited now. Within the 3 months??????? I have only 384 days to go.....And counting. :)

australiankaren
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby australiankaren » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:07 am

hey,
i love a well planed vacation....thats why I'm going and my husband isnt...he like to play things by ear, oh, and hates/ gets sick on all rides so waiting around for me isnt his idea of a holiday...thats why he's off to italy in 2 weeks with my son for a soccer trip for 2 weeks......to me that would be hell, 20 x 14-16 yr old boys in confined spaces for extended periods of time....ahhhhhhh :o

you'll have to give me a template of your spread sheet, in case I forgot anything.....oh, and give beth an email[ the email address i sent you]....she'll help you find a great and reliable condo, tickets, ideas, insider tips etc. :idea:

have a good one
karen
WDW.....POFQ,POR, Contemporary
6-18 December 2006

PrincessBelle
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby PrincessBelle » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:06 am

Now Italy would be nice (well planned of course)...but I have to agree not with 20 teenage boys. :)

I'm still working on my spreadsheets. Haven't got very far so far. I keep thinking, I will get stuck into my work and then spend the rest of the day working on the important things. But people keep ringing me and I never seem to get very far. Very annoying. Today and tomorrow I take the kids to work so will probably get less done. I have typed up all the ticket prices so far. I want to have all the information at our fingertips so that we can all get together and decide want we want to do. I think for us, we will just go with the premium annual pass. But then Mum doesn't want the waterparks so I think she will probably go for just an ordinary annual pass.

I do have a couple of villas in mind. They are both owned by the same guy and he has given us a price of $6000 for the 4weeks including tax and pool heating. I have found someone on tripadvisor that has stayed in one of them and says its fantastic. Have a look at http://www.valhallavillas.com/index.htm It works out at $500 per week for the 4 of us. Of course we would have to get car hire as well.

I am still toying with the idea of onsite though. Will compare prices and see how we go. The main thing that puts me off staying onsite is 4 weeks of having to eat out every meal, everyday. I like the idea of being able to come back to the villa for a bbq by the pool, or even just a sandwich after a full day at the park.

Have a good day.
Suzanne

australiankaren
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby australiankaren » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:33 am

hey Suzanne,
had you thought of splitting your trip....1 week at pop, 1 week at a moderate and 2 weeks at a condo....The pop suites are open now, I think they sleep 6...
pop would work out about $500 a week using your ap, and you could get the dining plan...staying on site would let you get the magical express from the airport, and you just pick up the car when you go to the condo...saving 2 weeks car hire....and then you could do universal, nasa, sea world , outlet shopping, grocery shopping etc with the car.
When I went, we got the mini van for 4 of us...we had so much luggage, and it was only an extra $10 a day.....we would not have fitted in a large sedan :D
you may not need to pay for pool heating if you dont go in winter, we did though..we were there in december and used the pool .
when you get a condo, see if they include phone usage, we had unlimited local phone calls....the best thing about having a condo was the laundry & kitchen....but the down side is you need to leave early to get to the parks for parking/ getting maximum time at disney.
Cant wait till the boys go to italy, I can then surf disney 24/7..also found a radio station...sorcerer radio....WDW music all the time......fantastic. I listen to wishes & weep....sad isnt it.

have a good one
84 days to go
Karen :)
WDW.....POFQ,POR, Contemporary
6-18 December 2006

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”